Three best SiFi movies of the fifty’s

Nutsfortubes, like your avatar. The Prisoner maybe. I am from jersey too. Been in pa since 78. Watching Close encounters of the third kind on TCM.

Last edited:
The incredible Shrinking Man
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
The Thing

A lot of 50's thrillers set the standard and it is usually missed with the remakes.

The remake of the thing with Kurt Russell was ok, closer to the book Who Goes There.

Last edited:
Classic John W Cambell. The man who help create the modern SF as the editor for Astounding Science Fiction / Analog magazine I think. Thanks for the download. Always a great story. Check out the guttenberg pdf archive. http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Science_Fiction_(Bookshelf) Worth a look for a lot of authors and stories. Now have to watch Ransom with the wife. Might be back later.

A couple “B” pics I really like are The Blob and Kronos.

Everyone knows The Blob, but Kronos is a bit more obscure, Alien device comes to Earth to rob it of all its energy (probably should have gone to the Sun but whatever). Really low budget film with some awful effects, but the Kronos machine is a great bit of Prop making.

The Thing

that movie made me pee my pants, some of that stuff was a bit much for kids,
I like the new one too, especially the scene where they tie the guy in a chair and he throws a fit and demands to be let go

winter in a chair .jpg

"I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS F3582X=6 COUCH!"​

I found a movie on Youtube a few years back. As someone whose work is somewhat close to the topics of aeronautics and spaceflight, I found it to be the funniest thing I ever saw.
I believe that it was presented by the Mystery Science Theater 3000 guy, but I have not been to find it since.

This movie had it all. It had the strong, no-nosense BrillCreme-hair astronaut guy, the beautiful and equally strong female scientist whose hairspray-supported hair style is impervious to perturbations of her spacesuit helmet and who regularly clashes with BrillCreme guy. And it had the easy-going other astronaut guy who just wants to get things done. The major plot points follow:

After character introduction, all of them are directed by a General to get in a rocket to go up and see what is up in space with a suspected flying saucer that had been spotted by the military. They get there, after too much obviously suppressed attraction between Blondie and BrillCream guy, and sure enough, it's a flying saucer. So astronaut guy #2 goes outside, floats across to the fly saucer, and goes inside (easily apparently). Unsurprisingly there is a many-tentacled alien with suckers on its arms that made noises like you would expect. So guy #2 unzips his spacesuit, reaches inside, and pulls out a snubnose revolver, and shoots the alien, as if all astronauts of the day were packing heat as standard equipment. He then casually radios over to the rocket and announces his accomplishment to the others. After accepting congratulations for a job well done, he announces that he is coming back to pick up "The Bomb". So he makes the round trip and blows up the flying saucer. Everyone is happy with their accomplishments. They then fly the rocket home, and BrillCream and Blondie acknowledge the obvious, presumably procreate, and live happily ever after.

That's majority of what I recall about it other than the fact that I nearly choked on numerous occasions from laughing.

Day the Earth Stood Still - 1951- Directed by Robert Wise, who did it as a Drama, not as Sci-fi.
Beast from 20 Thousand Fathoms - Radiation wakes and frees giant dinosaur from north pole Ice ( a year before Godzilla)
Earth vs The Flying Saucers - Aliens abduct General to gain info. A first for UFO sci-fi movies!

Back
Top Bottom