Three Days for a PreAmp to warm-up for optimum sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read an interesting article about the engineering mindset recently. If the intended use of the component is that it is always left on maybe "warms up quickly" was not a consideration in the design.

I also don't necessarily doubt that there are some golden eared folks that can hear differences between 4 hours, a day, two days, and 3+ days.

This strikes me as the kind of thing that was first observed, and then an attempt made to explain it. Like the guy says there is likely a healthy fudge factor built in.

So now we have it from the horses mouth.

I'll respect that information. I don't agree with it, but hey... No point in revisiting the subject.

I also don't necessarily doubt that there are some golden eared folks that can hear differences between 4 hours, a day, two days, and 3+ days.
I would challenge that.

Speak to an audiologist about "golden ears". Ask him how many patients' hearing tests exactly the same twice, no matter the time interval.

Well, 90% is a long way from 100%. In fact, it's infinitely far away from 100% (in the example cited above, 100% is actually only approached asymptotically) -- this is the essence of Zeno's Paradox, in fact.

Engineers "know they can get close enough", it's the punchline of an old, old joke.

But we're talking about audiophiles, not engineers.

Time constants are measured in seconds or minutes. In ten time constants you are well within the limits of system drift. As for Zeno’s paradox, the reason it’s a paradox is that it is obviously false (otherwise Achilles would still be chasing after that bloody tortoise).

I suspect manufacturers’ attitudes could be summed up as “But we’re marketing to audiophiles, not engineers”.

There is another paradox at work here - why have the moderators allowed a thread that was locked to be restarted, when it is against their rules to do such.

There is another paradox at work here - why have the moderators allowed a thread that was locked to be restarted, when it is against their rules to do such.
I presented factual data to set the record straight for those whose speculation unjustly maligned the reviewer.

I agree it is senseless to rehash the other issues.

The new thread was allowed to run because the response from the mfr was new data, and needed to be allowed into the discussion. Now, seeing that nothing really new is coming from it... I'll see if I can merge the two threads, let it run for awhile, and close it later if needed.

Meanwhile, please avoid comments on moderation.

My Belles DMM preamp says leave it on all the time, which is easier to do since it doesn't have a power switch.

I had one for a while, replaced it with a C-J Motif MC-9 and HypnoToaded CA 640P, neither of which have power switches.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yeah, there was... About a conversation the reviewer had with the manufacturer.

Now that the two threads are merged, I can't find that post, though.

I am at the point in this HOBBY , the real inconvenience of this pre-amp FAR outweighs any miniscule improvement it may or may not have .

I'm just not understanding the reason for the venom on this topic.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I'm wondering how a preamp that the manufacturer basically says should be on all the time for the best sound is inconvenient. Since it has remote control it never gets completely turned off anyway.

Having a Classe' DR-6 that is designed to be idling/on 24-7 I can attest that it did
take several days or more to sound its best, and do not ever shut it down completely
failing a power outage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom