Three wires coming out of tonearm?

kb12

I am working on a Voice of Music turntable from the 60s and there are only three different colors of wires coming out of the tonearm: red, white and black. The black seems to have been split into two wires, however. I am putting on an Asatic cartridge that has four pins. Can someone help me with which wires go where? Is this how the black is supposed to look? I have attached some pictures.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20181018_212310.jpg
    20181018_212310.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20181018_212347.jpg
    20181018_212347.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 50
Red = Right channel positive
White = Left channel positive
Black = both channels negative (hence why it is split into 2)

Red = Right channel positive
White = Left channel positive
Black = both channels negative (hence why it is split into 2)
correct. It was Shure back in the 50's that decided there should be 4 pins to a stereo cart, when 3 is all that is needed. When right and left grounds are summed at the cart, there is less "noise" due to all grounds have exactly the same potential to ground.

Thanks so much for the info! It’s actually the original Tetrad cart that I am trying to attach. How do I determine which wires go to which pins. There are no markings on the cart.

correct. It was Shure back in the 50's that decided there should be 4 pins to a stereo cart, when 3 is all that is needed. When right and left grounds are summed at the cart, there is less "noise" due to all grounds have exactly the same potential to ground.
If only three pins how do you deal with a phase inverting phono stage? They do exist.
Some phono pre amps explicitly require separate grounds for the channels because of ground noise concerns- see the Leach preamp thread.
Having a very early common ground has the potential to degrade channel separation.

Having a very early common ground has the potential to degrade channel separation.

check the RCA grounds on a normal preamp to the ground lug. Same? Yes. Grounds are summed there, no issue with channel separation. Doesn't matter they are summed does it?

check the RCA grounds on a normal preamp to the ground lug. Same? Yes. Grounds are summed there, no issue with channel separation. Doesn't matter they are summed does it?
That may be true for your amp, but it's not true for mine. The phono RCA sockets are isolated from the chassis, and yes, it does matter if the isolation is defeated.

Thanks that's interesting.

Thanks that's interesting.
When the two return wires ("grounds") are shorted at the cartridge the return current for the generators of both channels flows through the same wire- which at the very least will degrade the channel separation. There are, as I said, other potential issues too which is why no manufacturers wire their cartridges that way and have not done so since the earliest days of stereo, and why early design luminaries like Marshall Leach insisted on keeping the channel grounds separate all the way through the cartridge preamp. Common impedances in grounds are something that should be avoided in stereo applications if at all possible.

CartSubs-TetradWiringModern.jpg

This help?

Back
Top Bottom