Thrift Store Records that NOBODY wants

A few weeks ago a a local Goodwill, fully 20% of the discs available were Jimmy Swaggert this or Jimmy Swaggert that. I neglected to relieve Goodwill of their burden.

Supposedly they do exist, although I've heard conflicting reports whether it's real stereo or reprocessed. Comedy records especially seem to have gotten the short end of the stereo stick back in the early 1960's. I've only found the first stereo copies I've ever seen of of Allan Sherman's "My Son The Folk Singer" and Bob Newhart's "The Button Down Mind of..." within the past two years or so. Many apparently didn't get a stereo issue until well after the mono was a firm, established "hit" LP. And even then, as in the case of Bill Cosby's first couple of albums, it was reprocessed stereo.

MY SON THE FOLK SINGER is true stereo. As for THE FIRST FAMILY, my understanding is that it is pan-potted fake stereo a la the UA A HARD DAY'S NIGHT Beatles tracks.

A few weeks ago a a local Goodwill, fully 20% of the discs available were Jimmy Swaggert this or Jimmy Swaggert that. I neglected to relieve Goodwill of their burden.

If you see 'the ring of fire', get it! It's absolutely hilarious to hear him rant about how the Beatles are the 'damndest, rottenest, filthiest filth ever to hit the earth' !

I picked up a copy of The First Family from a guy for 20 cents yesterday (found among the thousands of records he had). I figured, why not? It's the mono version. Now I'm curious and going to have to listen to it, of course.
I have to admit that record cracked me up as a kid, but I think that after what ended up happening with that "family" it all took on a different light....

I have to admit that record cracked me up as a kid, but I think that after what ended up happening with that "family" it all took on a different light....

Having no idea what is on it, I think it will be an interesting time capsule, if nothing else.

Has Andy Williams been mentioned 197 times yet? That's how many of his records are at my local thrift...

I have 'The First Family' and mine is in mono also. My collection also has 'The New First Family, 1968' which was on Verve and "presented" by Bob Booker & George Foster.. nobody really famous on that one.. And I have 'The First Family Rides Again' from the early 80s, I think. That one has Rich Little, Shelley Hack, Jenilee Harrison, and on the LP cover in a tutu, Michael Richards (Kramer of Seinfeld fame)... That one is still sealed and is on Boardwalk Records.. "presented" by Earl Doud only this time.

I went hunting at thrifts a bit over the weekend - didn't see one First Family album at all! :tears: Sorta was looking forward to seeing one and checking it out a bit more. Neither did I see any Andy Williams, Jack or Tom Jones, Carpenters, or Mitch Miller.

Did run into a bunch of:
Tennessee Ernie Ford albums
A lot of classical albums and collections
Gordon Lightfoot
Rusty Warren - Knockers Up, More Knockers Up, and Sin-Sational, never saw all three at once.
A few Command Enoch Light albums
A lot of Christmas albums - Bing, Frank, Perry, Roger Whitaker, Barbara, Etc.
Only 1 Herb Alpert album (Lonely Bull)
A couple F&T, Mancini, Boston Pops/Fiedler, Bread, 101 Strings, Morman Tabernacle Choir, and 1 Van Cliburn album.

I went hunting at thrifts a bit over the weekend - didn't see one First Family album at all! :tears: Sorta was looking forward to seeing one and checking it out a bit more. Neither did I see any Andy Williams, Jack or Tom Jones, Carpenters, or Mitch Miller.

Did run into a bunch of:
Tennessee Ernie Ford albums
A lot of classical albums and collections
Gordon Lightfoot
Rusty Warren - Knockers Up, More Knockers Up, and Sin-Sational, never saw all three at once.
A few Command Enoch Light albums
A lot of Christmas albums - Bing, Frank, Perry, Roger Whitaker, Barbara, Etc.
Only 1 Herb Alpert album (Lonely Bull)
A couple F&T, Mancini, Boston Pops/Fiedler, Bread, 101 Strings, Morman Tabernacle Choir, and 1 Van Cliburn album.
Wow, Gordon was a long way from home in a thrift down there! Then again I know quite a few people in the UK who have his LPs.

For some reason, I am always finding New Order and OMD albums at my local thrift/charity shops. Those don't seem like the usual records someone would want to get rid of. I've also amassed almost an entire collection of Duran Duran, Eurythmics, Sheena Easton, Linda Ronstadt, and Boz Scaggs from these shops too. Really good records.

I'd be OK with this. Must be your location. I wonder what shows up in thrifts (or whatver they're called) in Europe. I would be lost.

Back in the early 1990's I went to England for a short visit. I managed to hit a few record stores similar to the kind you used to find everywhere in New York's Greenwich Village.

In fact, they were so similar, they had the same exact records! :sigh: About 95% US pressings of all the usual suspects. Hardly any "domestic" UK or European discs. Not at all like I would have figured.

They even had tons of those damn 101 Strings LP's! Did they export boatloads of that stuff overseas?? :dunno:

The 'switched on' ones I have (like switched on bach) were Walter/Wendy Carlos, interesting early electronica.

However the 'Hooked on...' were a different bag. These were a cheesy awful discobeat underlying side-long medleys, where a few seconds of dozens of well-known classical (or big band, etc.) pieces were segued into each other. Absolutely dire, badly dated, superficial tat! No way should they be compared to 'Switched on...' !

Just played side one of "The Well-tempered Synthesizer", Glenn Gould highly praised the Brandenburg on this record

Just played side one of "The Well-tempered Synthesizer", Glenn Gould highly praised the Brandenburg on this record
Yes, that is a very good LP. The 'Hooked On' ones were a horror, endless famous tunes in medleys all played to the same disco beat background. I remember a period where they played that stuff as background music in the movie theatres before the show. Grrr..... drove me crazy!

I'd be OK with this. Must be your location. I wonder what shows up in thrifts (or whatver they're called) in Europe. I would be lost.

I got a few good records out of charity shops while I was in Scotland two years ago, including a pretty decent early mono pressing of "With the Beatles."

The 'charity shops' in the Uk have largely the same chud as their US counter parts. i.e. boatloads of Jim reeves, Sound of music, xmas LPs, Barbra streisand, Ray conniff, hawaiian hits etc. There are things like Mrs Mills honky tonk piano, welsh choirs, scots dancing which they may not have stateside (fortunately).
Also a fair amount of 80s pap like Phil Collins, Simply Red, Bananarama and Paul Young.

Back
Top Bottom