Thrift Store Records that NOBODY wants

The several thrift stores around here have become exactly that way. A dealer offered them double what they sell records for normally to get first choice. So they hold back everything till he goes through them. i know at least 4 stores that are all "run" by the local record scalper. Not even worth going into.

Yea! Same crap here!!! The Salvation Army's are just ridiculous because of this. I find better luck at consignment-type shops because they call the dealers as soon as a new batch of vinyl hits the floor. Just ridiculous!

The several thrift stores around here have become exactly that way. A dealer offered them double what they sell records for normally to get first choice. So they hold back everything till he goes through them. i know at least 4 stores that are all "run" by the local record scalper. Not even worth going into.

Yeah sadly the Value Village Thrifts in and around the GTA must be like this. Nothing there left other than pure CRAP.

What I usually see locally in southern Québec:

- 50 Guitars of Tommy Garret
- Soundtrack for the French film "Les uns et les autres"
- a variety of Québécois singers from the 70ies I won't name here
- René & Nathalie Simard (I suspect they are the Québécois version of Donny & Marie Osmond)
- that Barry Gibb & Streisand album, don't know what it's called
- Frank Chacksfield, Ebb Tide (I actually bought one)

Probably others I forget...

az

- Soundtrack for the French film "Les uns et les autres"

I bought that thinking : wow! Michel Legrand, Francis Lai, gotta be a killer!

....Let's just say I was disappointed! :yes:

Anything by Ray Coniff....

Yeah, wasn't he the dude who did a lot of instrumental hits in the Fifties & Sixties-Had an orchestra & a chorus that didn't usually sing anything but "Buh-Dah-Dah-Buh.." or something similar ? His stuff always sounded like theme music for a commercial, IIRC....

I bought that thinking : wow! Michel Legrand, Francis Lai, gotta be a killer!

....Let's just say I was disappointed! :yes:

I remember that one from my parent's small record pile back in the 80ies but don't recall ever hearing it.

az

Yeah, wasn't he the dude who did a lot of instrumental hits in the Fifties & Sixties-Had an orchestra & a chorus that didn't usually sing anything but "Buh-Dah-Dah-Buh.." or something similar ? His stuff always sounded like theme music for a commercial, IIRC....

Are you thinking of the Swingle Singers?

If there is a Zombie Apocalypse, and I can only choose one thrift store artists album to throw at them, it would undoubtedly be Englebert Humperdinck. I see multiple copies in every Goodwill I go to (along with all the others mentioned).

Guy Lombardo

Any white Gospel groups with polyester suited guys and women with beehive hairdos.

Arthur Fiedler supermarket records (most are still sealed).

Generic world music LPs (South of the Border with the 100 Shimmering Voices).

Ray Coniff and Johnny Mathis around here. Must have been record club selections that were sent automatically. Most look unplayed. Lots of Babs here too. Saw a Jackie Gleason album the other day, singing. Not even at 50 cents.....

Our Goodwill store is in the same location as where our G C Murphy five and ten store was all thoses years ago . I think all the Herb Alpert records that are there now are the same ones left over from 40 years ago . .

- that Barry Gibb & Streisand album, don't know what it's called
az

Ah, you mean "Guilty". I admit I like that one.
I have thirteen copies of Hagood Hardy's "Homecoming LP from thrift stores, so thank heavens some albums are unpopular). Since they were in near mint condition (many times for 25 cents at a reuse shop), I couldn't lose.

Resurrecting this zombie thread,...

Starting to see a lot of Big Al lately, especially this one.

s-l300.jpg

Back
Top Bottom