Thrift Store Records that NOBODY wants

Don't you hate it when you finally come across something bitchen at the GW, like a Coltrane album or something, and discover that the jacket is empty. Or, even worse, the wrong LP is inside the jacket!

Yeah. I found an Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong album in a thrift. The jacket looked good so I had high hopes for it.

The LP inside was "The Captain and Tennile." It was no "Muskrat Love" for me!

Yeah. I found an Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong album in a thrift. The jacket looked good so I had high hopes for it.

The LP inside was "The Captain and Tennile." It was no "Muskrat Love" for me!

Wow, that would have bummed me for a week. Ella and Louis is one of my favorite LPs, and my copy is just about unplayable due to skips. Would love to find another, am stuck with listening to it on CD for now...

LOTS of 101 Strings.

Was wondering if someone would mention them. My parents have a ton of such "beautiful music" artists' albums. "Beautiful Music" was a name for a radio station format for "elevator" music. An ancestor of "lite" stations.

You haven't lived until you've heard the Beatles' songbook done by Ray Conniff, Mantovani or the 101 Strings... :D

Since someone mentioned Roger Whittaker, he actually has a good voice and good technique.

One of my very first 45s was him doing "Streets of London."

He falls into the Jim Reeves school of singing: a deep, smooth baritone. Not everyone will like them, but the guys could sing.

Now there would be a niche for satellite radio:
"The all thrift-find hits channel" :banana: :banana: :no: :no:

C.

I think it might be illegal in Canada to run a thrift store without stocking at lease one copy of the following:

album-chariots-of-fire.jpg

My local thrift just got in a big, and I mean big, slug of Polka, Organ, and Jimmy Swaggert lps. Oh and all kinds of London Phase 4 Hawaiin crap. :puke:

Not bad ...

James Last. Or Acker Bilk what kind of name is that? It sounds nasty. I've never heard either one. They could be amazing musicians for all I know. :D

Acker Bilk is an English jazz musician who plays a seriously good clarinet. Had a few big hits back in the 60's or 70's. I think Midnight in Moscow was one of the biggies. If the LPs are clean and scratch free, you might grab one for a listen. Stranger on the Shore was a pretty cool tune. I have a few and they each have a few really good tracks :)

Mostly the stuff that I can't get past is almost all Streisand. You know it's not popular if it's pristine and still won't sell :(

Last edited:
A few unmentioned ones:
Al Hirt
Organ and Chimes
New Christy Minstrels
Beethoven's 9th
Richard Harris - of Macarthur's Park fame
Dean Martin
Mario Lanza
The music of <your favorite artist here> as realized by <anyone else> preferably with organ and chimes
The Carpenters
Perry Como
and who could forget the incompatible
Percy Faith?

Barbra Streisand et al, like Liberace, are laughing all the way to the bank.

A critic once savagely reviewed the flamboyant pianist Liberace (1919-1987) in 1953, but the Liberace concert had been sold out. Liberace remarked that the review made him “laugh all the way to the bank.”

Here's what all those thrift store LPs bought:

streisand_mansion.jpg

Was wondering if someone would mention them. My parents have a ton of such "beautiful music" artists' albums. "Beautiful Music" was a name for a radio station format for "elevator" music. An ancestor of "lite" stations.

You haven't lived until you've heard the Beatles' songbook done by Ray Conniff, Mantovani or the 101 Strings... :D

I once had a quadraphonic demonstration album that was the music from 2001: A Space Odyssey but it was done by one of those million-and-one strings and brass orchestras. The quad effect was fabulous but the music was horribly overwrought. You haven't lived until you've heard Also Sprach Zarathustra played by just strings and horns. When my son was old enough to learn to shoot we used that album for target practice. I shoulda kept it, though, for it's one of those you won't believe it until you hear it records.

Imagine Mrs. Miller singing "Tosca" and you'll have an idea of just how horrible this thing was.

Just had a great day "collecting" at the local Goodwill. We all list the great finds we take home, but after doing this for some time, I began to realize that no matter where I go I almost always see the same records that nobody picks up - thought I would start a list.

Assorted Christmas records are always a given!

Herb Alpert - various recordings - esp the "whipped cream girl"
Shaun Cassidy
BREAD (ugh...):thumbsdn:
Montovoni
Jim Nabors

what do you see??

What thrift store were those records at? I would buy those.

Back
Top Bottom