throw down the guns and fight hand to hand

invaderzim

What was the first movie that started this trend as the ending to an action movie?

My memory doesn't go back that far with it but the first I remember seeing was the first Lethal Weapon. Now it just seems so tired with either just the good or bad guy having a weapon and deciding to give it up to fight hand to hand or both having weapons and deciding to 'settle it like men'. Adding to it is the even more cringe-worthy moment when the bad guy pulls out a hidden weapon and we are supposed to be shocked.

I know they think they need a final fight scene to finish off the movie but it just seem so stupid and so over-used. I have a gun and I've caught you but now I'm going to throw it down and we will beat each other up.

And it's not something remotely based in reality, either.

You still got a gun? Use it. The bad guy as expended all his ammo? Too bad for him. Use yours! duhhhh....

Yeah, keep the gun. The other person may have a b.o. funk so strong, it'd make sulfuric acid nervous.

Who say's it started with a gun? It has long been dishonorable amongst many groups to fight an unarmed man using a weapon if he is an honorable opponent.
Of course if they have no honor (or money), you just ride them down with your horse.

Who say's it started with a gun? It has long been dishonorable amongst many groups to fight an unarmed man using a weapon if he is an honorable opponent.
Of course if they have no honor (or money), you just ride them down with your horse.

Interesting point and that makes sense as the origin and it fits much better in more honorable fight and battle situations.
Now it has been co-opted to the pscho vs good guy scenario in so many movies where one side just goads the armed side into tossing away their weapon and having a man to man fight.

I'd prefer that to the bad guy monologue. You know, where they got you dead in the sights, and then stop to discuss why how they got you in said sights, why things had gotten to that point, where it's going from there (minus the guy in the sights) and the "have any last words" opportunity.

At which the guy in the sights would rather die in a hail of lead than continue being bored to death ...

Supernatural is a good series for that. Happens most every episode. I suppose a bit of a twist there is that each of the heroes has died already, some more than once. ;-}

** Some gunfights can be fun to watch though. Think Hanna, where a 14 year old girl who probably weighs as much as a cat fart disarms and flat out destroys three professional assassins and hardly works up a sweat doing it.

Gettysburg- The Mini Series, Final part of the Little Round Top Battle.

Those fellas fought hand to hand when they didn’t have time to reload their muzzle loading rifles and not from choice. Although actually during the War of the Rebellion the soldiers, lacking the training and sheer bloody mindedness of European soldiers (especially British ones), usually chose to stand apart at shoot at close range rather than close the distance to hand to hand combat.

Back
Top Bottom