Tidal in trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were they ever doing well? Just the buy-in for the business was enormous. I was under the impression that Jigga was just hoping to ride out the streaming wave until it consolidated to one or two mammoth companies. But when he bought it, the general consensus was that the company was DOA

The whole streaming music deal sounded great, but every service I've paid for has gone under. At least I'm ahead of the curve on Tidal - never signed up for it before it vanishes :bigok:

There have been rumors of its demise since it was purchased by Jay Z. As I have said before, if you like it, enjoy it while you can.

I should mention that I cancelled my Tidal service a long time ago (November 2014) and in January 2016 they charged my account for no apparent reason. They refunded the money and gave me a few months free of their lower quality service in exchange for the "error". I wonder if it was a way to give out free trials to those that cancelled in hopes that they would come back? In seemed suspicious.

There have been rumors of its demise since it was purchased by Jay Z. As I have said before, if you like it, enjoy it while you can.

I should mention that I cancelled my Tidal service a long time ago (November 2014) and in January 2016 they charged my account for no apparent reason. They refunded the money and gave me a few months free of their lower quality service in exchange for the "error". I wonder if it was a way to give out free trials to those that cancelled in hopes that they would come back? In seemed suspicious.

Your ex called because she was drunk

OMG! If Tidal goes down I might have to spend 5 minutes of my time signing up for another service ... set up a whole new Icon on my laptop.

True, but I sure hope there are streaming services beyond Apple, Amazon, and Google in a few years.

True, but I sure hope there are streaming services beyond Apple, Amazon, and Google in a few years.

Valid concern ... someone with deep pockets could buy Tidal.

But ultimately ... we are all just passengers in this car. A friend of mine recalls when he was a child ... he and his brothers use to argue about where they were going . His father always ended the argument by simply stating ...

"You will go where the driver goes".

Ugh, I just cancelled Deezer because it would never stream right. I'm listening to Tidal with the 30 day trial. Can I just have my Mog back?!? :oops::confused:

Valid concern ... someone with deep pockets could buy Tidal.

But ultimately ... we are all just passengers in this car. A friend of mine recalls when he was a child ... he and his brothers use to argue about where they were going . His father always ended the argument by simply stating ...

"You will go where the driver goes".

This is why I like CDs. I do not have to depend on someone's shaky business model.

Tidal has been the only streaming service I have tried, mainly due to lossless. I won't say CD Quality since all the lossy streaming services call theirs "CD quality" which is, of course, a sham. Lossy just gives me a headache, unless it's over some boombox in a noisy garage or kitchen where quality means nothing. Tidal was good for sampling new albums I could not get review copies of. They are also one of the few services I know of where you can purchase and download an album in lossless at 44.1/16.

It's too bad the general public doesn't care, and would rather listen to compromised sound...

This is why I like CDs. I do not have to depend on someone's shaky business model.

Streaming is not a shaky business model IMHO ... it's just a question of what deep pocket player ends up controlling Boardwalk & Park Place.

CD's are becoming storage backup for DAP's in my case.

Streaming is not a shaky business model IMHO ... it's just a question of what deep pocket player ends up controlling Boardwalk & Park Place.

CD's are becoming storage backup for DAP's in my case.

You are right. Streaming tech is not shaky. However, companies with poor business models are. In any case, I will just wait till the dust settles, before I pick a provider. I am in no hurry. :D

For me Tidal Hifi is about sampling and listening to huge variety of new and old music easily at lossless quality, very conveniently and with no compromises in sound quality. The $20 on-going monthly cost is reasonable, with the understanding that the service can vanish at any point. I have estimated that I listen to 5-20 new albums a month on Tidal, a $100-$400 value per month if I were to buy all (which I of course would not do). If I like something, I will 'favorite' it in Tidal, adding it to my music collection in the service. And if I really, really like something, I will buy the CD to make sure I have a copy no matter what happens.

In short, streaming and owning CD's have different, complimentary roles.

Like I said, I am in no hurry. :D
If I thought Tidal was going out of business and high bitrate lossy files weren't good enough for my ears, I would jump on now and enjoy it. The idea that you have to wait for the dust to settle means your are missing the opportunity of having access to millions of albums right now.

If you are subscribed and the company goes out of business, you can just go back to your comparatively small library the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom