Time to Let It Out...

I am really sorry to read this. I went through the same thing 4 months ago. 13 year old German Shepard/Doberman mix. We ended up getting a rescue puppy 2 months ago and he is already very much family. We needed him in our lives as much as he needed us.

My condolences to you - I know you will live with the wonderful memories of being with your dog for years to come - I had to put my dog down after 17 great years together. I swear she was smarter than me. Just think about all the happy times you had together!

We ended up getting a rescue puppy 2 months ago and he is already very much family. We needed him in our lives as much as he needed us.

Commendable for sure--I have always had pure-bred dogs, not as a matter of "snobbery", but I prefer to have all of the paperwork regarding blood-lines and health history. As for the bolded part--there is a local shelter/animal rescue organization that hands out magnets and bumper stickers in the shape of a paw print that simply reads "Who rescued who?"--and sometimes I wonder.

Plan on another in the future?

Most certainly--just waiting for the "dust to settle", so to speak, and I'll have a new best friend this fall or winter--not a "replacement", just a new adventure.

Awww... dammit!

This is what greets you when you get to heaven.

d2WT3Vch.jpg

So sorry for your loss. They are the soul mate of the animal world. We still miss our cat Sophie after 17 years. They love to join in when we're happy and comfort us when we're down. The good thing to remember is that they allways know that we love them so much and we can take comfort from that.

My condolences to you Savatage as well as the others in the thread who have recently lost their companions. I have a similar spot on a hutch in the study/listening room where our Sterling's (my avatar) remains, collar, and a small photo album sit so I understand completely. The wife and I were both devastated when we lost her almost four years ago.

As for the bolded part--there is a local shelter/animal rescue organization that hands out magnets and bumper stickers in the shape of a paw print that simply reads "Who rescued who?"--and sometimes I wonder.

I've seen that same magnet and its SO true. After a few weeks of unbearable silence in the house we fostered a mom and her three 8 week old puppies which was better than any therapy we could have asked for. Even though we had no intention of keeping any of them, one of them even managed to make us so attached that we couldn't give him up.

Resurrecting an old thread, but it was time (puppy photos to follow). I embarked on a new adventure, and now have a new companion--100% pure German Shepherd puppy, parents are German imports and a stack of papers a mile deep--already house-broke and truck-ready at slightly under 12wks.

I'll duck now and don my fire suit, because I went to a breeder. I tried--I honestly tried--going to the shelters/rescue organizations. I have always had pure-bred dogs, but know there are great dogs at the shelters. When my last dog passed, I donated $130 worth of Royal Canin dog food to those same people--no problem.

My beef (and kind of a rant) is "who do these people think they are?"--I understand the passion and commitment, but why is it easier to get a mortgage than "adopt" or "rescue" a dog? Seriously--there are applications, background checks, home visits, references required and adoption fees that range into the hundreds of dollars--for potentially acquiring someone else's problem and unknown medical/lineage history? What's up with that?

So, I researched breeders and blood-lines and simply went and met the parents and litter-mates and owners and left with a little bundle of therapy (after signing all the paperwork), but I have better medical records on the puppy than I do myself--cash on the table, obviously.

Will take pics today...

Sorry for your loss and to all others here who have travelled this road:)

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must done,
For this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad - I understand,
Don't let your grief then stay your hand,
For this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship will stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
What is to come – can have no fears,
You'd not want me to suffer so,
When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend,
Only stay with me until the end,
And hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

Finally in time you too will see,
It is kindness you do to me,
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Don't grieve that it should be you
Who has to decide this thing to do,
We've been so close, we two those years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Back
Top Bottom