Time to upgrade, opinions please

41woodie

I originally posted this on the receivers forum and it was suggested that I'd get more responses on this forum. I want to make a step up from my old Rotel RX-400A. I've spent several weeks reading reviews and opinions and have narrowed my search down to a Sansui G series (7700 or higher), a Luxman R- 115 or 117 and a couple of tempting Tandbergs.
I don't want to start an argument but I would appreciate any thoughts, personal experiences etc with my choices. Any known problems that need to watched out for, weaknesses or idiosyncrasies

I originally posted this on the receivers forum and it was suggested that I'd get more responses on this forum. I want to make a step up from my old Rotel RX-400A. I've spent several weeks reading reviews and opinions and have narrowed my search down to a Sansui G series (7700 or higher), a Luxman R- 115 or 117 and a couple of tempting Tandbergs.
I don't want to start an argument but I would appreciate any thoughts, personal experiences etc with my choices. Any known problems that need to watched out for, weaknesses or idiosyncrasies

You may have more choices should you decide to go alternate route of integrated amp or "pre & power amp". :)

Ok without knowing your speakers, this is what I'm thinking.

How about keeping your Rotel RX-400A to use as a preamp and tuner, step up your game with a separate power amp. Then we can talk speakers.

What you listen to. At what volume and size, characteristics, shape of room. Current system, tone you want, what is your goal? Why you want to upgrade?
BTW, welcome to Audiokarma

Last edited:
I love Luxman gear but the general (consensus? Seems like a good way to start an argument...) seems to be that it was a much better company before 1983 when it was still controlled by the father. Went more mainstream after that. I'm thinking pre-83 separates if you go Luxman.

You're correct I didn't give much information, sorry about that. I'm not a collector just an "enjoyer". I currently have a Rotel RX-400A, a pair of Bose 4.2 Series II (that I can't remember buying) and a Bill Neumann built Dual 1229. There's also a Denon DCM 370 that's slowly becoming vintage.
The room is 33' X 15' and other than the carpeted floor is mostly hard surfaces ie drywall, wooden furniture etc. My hearing is pretty poor with substantial high frequency hearing loss. Too much time around things that went BOOM!

I listen to everything from 40's Big Bands to traditional Chinese to mild rock to Dixieland....but I don't listen to many vocals. I seldom use the system for FM, my main usage is the turntable so tuner quality is less important to me. As to sound, I haven't listened to other systems to have an opinion of particular manufacturers sound but I want a full sound with the ability to pick out the detail of particular instruments. I like bass but don't need to feel it in my liver.

My plan is to buy a decent quality receiver or Integrated amp with more features than my Rotel, specifically some filtering ability to reduce noise on vinyl. I've owned most of my 33's for years and sadly they haven't always been handled properly. When I've purchased this piece I'll go after a better set of speakers and want an adequate amp to get full benefit of the new speakers. I grew up in the glory days of Bose 901's but don't hold that against me.... I have little knowledge of the developments in speakers over the years and will need opinions on a good match for whatever amp I purchase. Oh I forgot aesthetics, I really like the appearance of the G Series Sansui and Luxman's, I know I can't hear appearance but I do like neat clean design in a product. Hope this helps a little and thanks

Last edited:
I want a full sound with the ability to pick out the detail of particular instruments. I like bass but don't need to feel it in my liver.

I get where your at, age hearing and a wide music taste. You would benefit form head room (Amp having more power than the speakers) This lets the amp control the speakers better, it also covers all the transient peaks of the music without clipping the high frequencies off at the tops of the peaks. You would be best served with maybe some smaller JBL studio monitors like the 4312 but have at least 200 wpc power amp to drive them.
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/jbl/4312.shtml

You would have plenty of power and speakers to rock the house and hear it while doing other things. But you can also be setup near field and at lower listening levels get a ton of detail.
JBL studio monitors are not boomy speakers they focus on flat detail to hear the little nuances. Boss are a boomy fat speaker even under powered like your doing now with a 20 wpc receiver, I can't help but imaging your loosing quiet a bit of detail, that you really would hear.

IMO the best way to deal with noisy vinyl is to get a record cleaning machine, and a conical-stylus cartridge that does not have a tipped up high end.

Although you seem itching to replace your Rotel receiver, I'd replace it last, rather than first, unless you just can't stand it any longer. :)

It sounds as if I may be getting ahead of myself with the desire for a new Amp, and need to devote some study to speakers.

It sounds as if I may be getting ahead of myself with the desire for a new Amp, and need to devote some study to speakers.
Well at least study the speaker power matching and your space. You don't have to go crazy with deep pockets, just match gear good for your hearing.

Back
Top Bottom