Tinnitus?

I'm a dentist, and I see tinnitus as a symptom associated with TMJ dysfunction very often. If you clench or grind in your sleep and/or if you have a deep bite (lower front teeth are WAY behind and above upper front teeth when you bite), you could have TMJ dysfunction. The jaw joint is directly in front of your ear canal, and inflammation in that joint can cause jaw pain, headaches, pain on biting and tinnitus. This is one case where if you treat the root cause (TMJ), you can resolve the symptoms, including the tinnitus.

I have tinnitus and TMJ (which resulted from grinding my teeth during sleep). Unfortunately I can't sleep with a mouthguard so I continue to suffer with both.

I'm a dentist, and I see tinnitus as a symptom associated with TMJ dysfunction very often. If you clench or grind in your sleep and/or if you have a deep bite (lower front teeth are WAY behind and above upper front teeth when you bite), you could have TMJ dysfunction. The jaw joint is directly in front of your ear canal, and inflammation in that joint can cause jaw pain, headaches, pain on biting and tinnitus. This is one case where if you treat the root cause (TMJ), you can resolve the symptoms, including the tinnitus.
Hadn't considered that, its been quite a while since I was associated with dentistry.

I came down with tinnitus the week I turned 50, I'm now 56. Dont bother with the Lipo crap, there is no known cure at this time. You have to psych yourself out of hearing it. Its a mental cure. Yes, when you read these posts it will remind you of it and there it is. I'm hearing it loud and clear now! Just think of the farmer that moves out of the dead silent country to NYC. He cant sleep until his mind gets used to the noise, which over time DOES happen. Apply that concept to your tinnitus ! Good luck.

Same here, a way too loud punk rock concert back in '83 in Portland. Wish I would of never went to THAT ONE. Should of left immediately, thought about it, way too much pressure on the ears... just didn't act on it. MY BIG MISTAKE. Also worked around LOUD machinery all my life, massive DB noise, but I know the concert was the big major mistake.

My ears are rather loud, maybe medium loud, but not screaming loud... but almost. It's really annoying but I just 'accept it as the way it is'. Been told by an eyes/ears/nose guy years ago that there isn't anything that can be done - nothing. So, I've just accepted it, life goes on, get on with it. "Just accept it, don't fight it" - as an orthopedic surgeon once told me about my foot that really hurt after a totally successful surgery. Fought that pain for almost a year, went back to the doc for the 3rd time and he told me "don't fight the pain, just accept it" .. and I just accepted the pain and 2 weeks later it felt perfect! It was like 'magic'. 'Accepting it' really worked - life 'lesson learned'. But this damn tinnitus is a different animal all together. It's relentless - as we all know.

I too tried Lipo... it did take the 'edge off' but didn't work beyond that. Sure wasn't worth the monthly cost to me anyway. I quit the Lipo and my ears got immediately louder... accept it, get on with life.

My neighbor is eating some kind of 'stuff' from his audiologist and it seems to help him like 15%. So I guess that's kind of like the Lipo, maybe a bit better, but it too is even more costly.

I will be making an appointment with an audiologist 'very' soon now and see if anything is 'new' or what they recommend now-a-days. This time when I go I'm going to get really intense about it. Hopefully they aren't all knuckle heads and they have new insight into this condition . We'll see...

I'll keep you all informed & report back in a month or so.

Funny readying this thread, I'm sitting in a transit chair in a hospital ER, too dizzy to stand, nauseated and my left ear screaming. I hope it's inner ear and not a cerebral enuerism from hypertension.

So do I, I've dogs at home needing to be let out.
Ask for motion sickness pills and some valium, pronto.
I'm familiar with what you are going through as when I had an attack I thought I was biting the dust, for sure.
The doctors are clueless calling it Meniere's disease.
I think what I have is late stage Lyme.
That said, I've had only two vicious attacks but none for quite some time.
For now demand the meds and good luck!

I admit, it's.......

Yes, my ears have been ringing for many years. For me (and probably most people.) it's worse (are more noticeable.) in a 'silent' situation. For example, I use a smallish fan in my bedroom when sleeping. It'll take my mind off the ringing ears when trying to fall asleep.

Last edited:
Funny readying this thread, I'm sitting in a transit chair in a hospital ER, too dizzy to stand, nauseated and my left ear screaming. I hope it's inner ear and not a cerebral enuerism from hypertension.

Damn, man! Hate to hear that. Take care.

Ask for motion sickness pills and some valium, pronto.
I'm familiar with what you are going through as when I had an attack I thought I was biting the dust, for sure.
The doctors are clueless calling it Meniere's disease.
I think what I have is late stage Lyme.
That said, I've had only two vicious attacks but none for quite some time.
For now demand the meds and good luck!
Thnx!
Damn, man! Hate to hear that. Take care.
Got it in hand, inner ear and med'ed on site as you said. Appointment with eent Tues next. Tinnitus noise abated considerably almost to previous level.

Your symptoms reminded me of Vertigo. A lady who works for me suffers this intermittently. It's caused by crystals that form in the fluid of the inner ear that affect equilibrium. It causes severe dizziness and nausea and changes as you move your head. The docs actually have some head movement exercises that help it abate. Hope this isn't it because it becomes recurrent and can shut you down for three or four days at a time.

Your symptoms reminded me of Vertigo. A lady who works for me suffers this intermittently. It's caused by crystals that form in the fluid of the inner ear that affect equilibrium. It causes severe dizziness and nausea and changes as you move your head. The docs actually have some head movement exercises that help it abate. Hope this isn't it because it becomes recurrent and can shut yo2u down for three or four days at a time.
Epley manoeuvre, for chronic vertigo.
https://www.webmd.com/brain/home-remedies-vertigo

Ear is stuffed again, I suspect its inner ear infection.
At least I have the whirly meds at hand now.

Your symptoms reminded me of Vertigo. A lady who works for me suffers this intermittently. It's caused by crystals that form in the fluid of the inner ear that affect equilibrium. It causes severe dizziness and nausea and changes as you move your head. The docs actually have some head movement exercises that help it abate. Hope this isn't it because it becomes recurrent and can shut you down for three or four days at a time.

Some have said that Tinnitus is related to Vertigo. My grandmother (RIP) had Vertigo, and while I don't remember her having Tinnitus, I believe she had slight bouts with it every once in awhile.

I forgot to add in my previous post, that I had pulsatile tinnitus.....which can further aggravate you. I don't wish it on anyone.

i have also felt that it might be some kind of mild vertigo. When I turn just the right way, there is a little dizziness and the ringing will often amp up... More potential leads.

Back
Top Bottom