Tiny part needed for Viking 433 reel to reel

eidling

Hi - I bought this reel to reel several years ago in a thrift store, and may I say, the thing is built like a tank. But it also played tapes about as well as a tank would, because it needed new belts. I bought the belts quite some time ago and yesterday finally installed them.

After doing a lot of work on the unit, I found I no longer had the tiny screw that goes in where the arrow is in the attached photo. I spent a lot of time trying to find a suitable replacement, but I did not have one.

Do these screws tend to be standard sizes, and if so, does anyone have one, or know where I can purchase one? If not, "I'm afraid that the operation was a success, but the patient died."

Thanks,

eidling

Attachments

• Viking 433.jpg
    Viking 433.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 44
I wonder if that would be metric - wasn't Viking made in Minnesota? I used to have an old tube model years ago (model 515 or something?) that had the head stack mounted above the reels so you would have to thread it "upside down". It was also built like a tank and worked quite well although I think it was much older than yours (from what I can see). I remember seeing one like mine in the movie "The Exorcist" - it's the tape machine that they used to play back Linda Blair's voice backwards to hear it forwards (disturbing!) Anyway, if that screw isn't metric it might be a fine thread, and as TX said the hardware store or a Home Depot type place might be your best bet. If you know anyone who is or has access to a machinist they would probably be able to tell you the thread pitch and size and they'd probably have something that would work on hand. Good luck - those Vikings are pretty nice machines!

This deck was made in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Uses SAE screws, not Metric ones. Looks to be made after Telex purchased Viking. Good machines in the day, well built, easily maintained. :tresbon:

Well, I hadn't considered going to a machinist, but there is a shop I pass en route to work. If the screw doesn't turn up (and I doubt it will...), then maybe I'll try the machine shop...

The unit is very heavy, I'd hate to lug it into a mega mega hardware store. I suppose I could take it apart again and see if the part that holds the screw would be easy to remove.

keep the suggestions coming!

thanks!!

THE 433 WAS MADE IN 1969 AND IS A GREAT MACHINE . i HAVE 2 . MAKE CERTAIN THE MOTORS ARE OILED WITH A GOOD NON DETERGENT MOTOR OIL --3 IN 1 HAS ONE THAT IS GOOD . KEEP THE VENT CLEAR ON THE TOP AND BACK---THOSE MOTORS MAKE SOME HEAT. ALL FASTENERS ARE SAE STANDARD NOT METRIC . TRY ACE HARDWARE -THE ONE BY MY PLACE HAS A BOARD UP THAT WILL TELL YOU THE THREAD PITCH ... AND A GREAT SELECTION OF HARDWARE . i HAVE RESTORED MANY PIECES AND ALWAYS GO HERE FOR FASTENERS . YOU WILL LOVE THE MACHINE .... FLIP THE A-B SWITCH AND IT WILL SOUND LIKE THE ORIGINAL +BUILT IN ECHO IF YOU WANT ITJUST KEEP A SPARE BELT ON HAND AND CHANGE SPEED ONLY WHEN RUNNING -CAPSTAN TURNING. THE BELT WILL LAST MUCH LONGER I MEASURED RECORD PLAYBACK 40-18000 AS ADVERTISED PRETTY FLAT ENJOY IT !

Back
Top Bottom