To DAC or not to DAC

I really need some help from some DAC experts. There are so many DACs available, I'm just not sure what to get and don't want to make costly mistakes buying the wrong thing. Most appear to be headphone amps which is not what I want and keeping the price south of $1000

I have a vintage Pioneer Spec 1 & 4 system running through JBL 240ti speakers. I also have a Denon DVD 756 player (I went with it because its silver!) that has digital optical outs on it.

I'm looking for a DAC that I can play the CDP through that will improve my audio for CDs.

I also use Tidal service and for now just use the headphone jack on my LG V20 phone to go to one of the Aux ports on the Pioneer preamp.

I was thinking about setting a laptop up at the stereo to store all my offline music content from Tidal (which I prefer to play instead of stream as my internet service is always sketchy and Tidal taxes it out causing pauses and interuptions)

Is there a DAC anyone can suggest that will help me with both the Denon CD player and my Tidal service that isn't a headphone amp DAC?

Thanks in advance.

-Steve
Chico, CA
I just purchased the Marantz NA8005 from Musicdirect. It use to cost $1200.00 but its being discounted at $499 after being in production for 3 years. It's a DAC, music server and streamer. Some have been complaining not being able to down load Tidal directly to it, but they failed to understand if you have another source like an iPhone or iPad or an android device which has Tidal, you can connect it to the front USB port to play any music service you want. There are a few music streaming services but Tidal is not one of them, so you can just use another device for that and just connect it. I tried out the the music server and streamer and they are fine., but I use the Marantz as a DAC with Jriver. I can tell you its a fine DAC especially at the discount price of $499. I think it would be perfect for your needs.

That's just marketing. The actual audio quality didn't improve. Still at around 20-21 bit of real analog performance even for the best DACs.

The Mytek Brooklyn DAC is much more then a DAC, Yes, it's a Dac,, dsd and mqa capable, it can be used as preamp or not, a Phono stage, headphone amp, mac compatible plug & play without a driver, pretty darn versatile. It doesn't hurt that you can get it in silver face. And by the way, $2000 may not be low priced but its certainly not high priced, considering its capability its really quite the bargain.

And as to calling out the OP on his desire for a Tidal MQA capable dac ,why?!? why indeed... becasue he wants it. That's enough for me. For those interested in Tidal, both MQA or not, take opinions from streaming haters with a heavy shaker of salt.

If you are looking for a good DAC that has MQA support (no DSD support, however, FWIW), than take a look at the Meridian Explorer 2 at $199.00. It sits alongside an ifi NanoDSD, SMSL M8, and a Schiit Modi Multibit in my stack o' DACs. All good choices for a DAC that sounds good but won't break the bank.

If you are looking for a good DAC that has MQA support (no DSD support, however, FWIW), than take a look at the Meridian Explorer 2 at $199.00. It sits alongside an ifi NanoDSD, SMSL M8, and a Schiit Modi Multibit in my stack o' DACs. All good choices for a DAC that sounds good but won't break the bank.
I acquired the Explorer 2 after Tidal began making MQA content available on their service, it a fine dac and a great introduction to MQA.

I've been totally satisfied with the Marantz NA8005. Has a wonderful DSD DAC that you can play all your files on a NAS or your computer with your favorite software like Roon MQP or Jriver. Can be used as a music server or stream from the internet. I've used it with Spotify as well as Pandora as well as some online radio sstations as well. If the stream is high Res....you get high Res. Seeing Marantz hasn't purchase the right to Tidal its not leaded into the NA8005, but if one was to download Bubble Unpnp they can stream Tidal to the Marantz from their I device or android pr desk top computer. I'm loving the NA8005...and as a DSD DAC, it got more of a fuller sound than my iFI DSD DAC.

Wavelength Cosecant v3 USB digital/analog converter !!!!!!!!! SECOND HAND,UNDER 1000$:jump:IT IS BETTE THAN METRUM ACUSTIC HEX DAC,(4800) AUD!!TRUST ME I KEEP COSECANT,I SOLD HEX!!
wavelength DAC.jpg AND HOLD TIED TO IT, FOR LONG TIME TO COME:music:
AAlRRCb.jpg

innards.jpgALL BLACK GATE CAPS IN IT!!POWER SUPPLY BOX SEPARATE ALSO BLACK GATE CAPS!!
Specifications
Type: Vacuum tube USB digital to analog converter with outboard power supply
Tube Compliment: 6GM8/ECC86
Frequency Response: 5Hz to 20kHz
USB Audio: 1.1 & 2.0 compliant at 32K, 44.1K and 48K at 16 bits
Output Voltage: 2.5Vac - 2.75Vac depending on tube
Dimensions: 6.5 x 6.5 x 5 (WxDxH in inches)
Warranty: 1 year parts and labor
Price: $3500 with copper wound output transformers, $10,000 with silver wound output transformers

Last edited:
In the past I haven't heard much difference using a DAC vs. not. That was with a Peachtree Dac-it and KEF 103.2 speakers (which I thought were pretty resolving). Either I didn't know how to listen back then (3 years ago), or my current set-up is more resolving, because I'm pretty sure I just heard improvement by adding a DAC. Current set-up is Quad ESL 57's, Juicy Blueberry tube preamp, Monarchy SM-70 amp. Source was Microsoft Surface Pro docked to a docking station, using 3.5 mm headphone out, playing Spotify (extreme Quality). After adding the Peachtree dac-it x (USB out), I'm noticing more detail, it seems.

For awhile I was pretty sure that DAC's were snake oil, but maybe there is something to them!

In the past I haven't heard much difference using a DAC vs. not. That was with a Peachtree Dac-it and KEF 103.2 speakers (which I thought were pretty resolving). Either I didn't know how to listen back then (3 years ago), or my current set-up is more resolving, because I'm pretty sure I just heard improvement by adding a DAC. Current set-up is Quad ESL 57's, Juicy Blueberry tube preamp, Monarchy SM-70 amp. Source was Microsoft Surface Pro docked to a docking station, using 3.5 mm headphone out, playing Spotify (extreme Quality). After adding the Peachtree dac-it x (USB out), I'm noticing more detail, it seems.

For awhile I was pretty sure that DAC's were snake oil, but maybe there is something to them!
I'M pretty sure if you use mp3 or flack or any other digital files, they sound much better with good DAC,

I have a dedicated pc that I have hooked up to my Sansui 9090db. Inside that pc I use a SoundBlaster Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD which has rca inputs and outs to interface with the Sansui. The SoundBlaster utilizes Burr-Brown's Advanced Segment PCM1794A DAC. Burr-Brown chips are my favorite sounding. Fantastic conversion and audio quality. These cards can still be found and run around $200 to $299. If you have an old pc laying around, setting up a dedicated pc rig is a great choice. I built mine out of old stuff I had laying around (old AMD Athlon w/t 4 gigs memory). I did buy a slim case and an hdmi based video card. Maybe have $400 in the whole thing. I use it to rip vinyl, reel to reel tape, cassettes and what ever media I come across. I use two input/output selector switches (each has one input and 6 outputs) I got those from mcm electronics. I have one selector connected to the aux input on my Sansui 9090db and the other switch is connected to one of the tape outs of the Sansui. I then have all my R2R's, cassette deck, 8-Track deck, Mackie 1640i mixer, and the SoundBlaster (pc rig) connected to both switches. Utulizing this setup I can listen to and record out to any of the connected devices. Plus I have extra connections on the switches to hook up any devices I may need to use. Whichever way you go research the "Chips" used. They are not created equal as some will tell you.

Back
Top Bottom