To Pre Amp or not?

Smithbss

There is a nice Sony TA 2000 for sale in barter town and I was wondering whether I could benefit from this in one of my systems, maybe some folks could offer some opinions.

I am thinking about using it with my Sansui Quadraphonic setup, which consists of:

Klipsch KG4’s in the front

Klipsch Heresy’s in the rear

Sansui QR-6500 Quadraphonic Tuner

Sansui SE-7 Equalizer (only one currently on the front pair of KG-4’s) looking for another…

2 Dynaco 120A’s one each driving the KG4’s and Hereseys.

Pro-Ject Essential III Phono

Anyone have some thoughts on benefits from adding this pre amp?

On this system I listen to vinyl about 60% of the time, quadraphonic about 50% of that.

Radio about 15%.

25% I use an apple composite cable plugged into the AUX 1 with a 30 pin connector to a lightning connector for .mp3.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

That is a beautiful preamp. It seems like you have a lot going on in your system and I'm not sure the Sony is your best bet. Personally I'd go for the simplest solution you can find. For the price of the Sony I don't know if it will pay you the dividends desired. Now that's not speaking badly about the Sony, I'm certain it would work fine but I'm not sure it's ideal for your system. But there are plenty others that know way more than I do and hopefully they'll chime in soon. I get that it's tempting, she really is a beauty!

I have the Sony TA-1000. First you may not need a graphic EQ as the Sony has a parametric EQ. Next, the rear speakers (and the front somewhat) are going to have some of the sound effects applied by the built-in sound fields, like large hall, small hall, etc. Its not a 4 channel preamp, its a 5.1 channel preamp.

That said, it will be capable of doing many, many things that other preamps can't. On mine, the inputs can even be renamed. It has a built in DAC.

What are you using for a preamp now? I don't see one on the list unless I am missing something.
I’m not using a separate pre amp now. The amps are using the the pre out jacks on the Sansui, where the PM connectors would normally be.

Oh, OK, got it. I did not know the Sansui by model # and thought it was a tuner but it's actually a receiver.

Back
Top Bottom