To what extent can this bent faceplate be fixed?

I'm with the group on this. Unless you're very lucky , you'll be sorry. Honestly i think it looks very good!. Like someone else said, if you're really anal, find a replacement and sell that one.
If it were mine I'd leave it. I'd guess 99% of the same faceplate out there don't look any better. You also run the risk of damaging something while you're changing it out (scratch , silk screen damage, some other unforseen gremlin).
If you feel you must, be careful

'm guessing someone caught the corner on something and bent it out. What we're seeing is their best effort in bending it back.

That was my initial thought as to what may have caused the ripple as well. Either the original owner or a past service tech rolled it on it's corner and accidentally bent it forward. They then bent it back.

Should a piece of cloth or felt be positioned in between?

The brass should have a smooth polished surface, it's a soft metal that bends easy. It's what they use in machine shops. They make brass jaw protectors for vices. But you can use some velvet if it makes you feel better.

Put in....brass jaw protector for a vice.....into google !

I'd take a fine file to the brass protector until it's smooth without any ridges....

Thing with bending things is you need to bend it past flat so it springs back to flat. A vise won't get you there. Keep in mind that aluminum is brittle and prone to just snapping when messed with too much.

Using a vise could possibly help some, but I doubt that the entire bend could be removed. The surface of the metal will have to be protected some how. Wood blocks were suggested, but also plastic blocks may work, such as nylon or delrin. From time to time I see Fisher front panels show up on eBay.

Joe

Leave it alone !

IF you look closely you will see the indent on the back is a straight line to other marks not as deep,, That's a bounce/shudder mark from the press that cuts the faceplate to size.

The area surrounding the deepest part of the mark is hardened from the pressure of cutting blade and will require a great deal more force to push it back out then the area surrounding it. The bulge wasn't so great that the silkscreen legends on the faceplate didn't sneer and so it passed inspection.

Only the right light will reveal the bulge to the on looker who's looking for it!

Monk; I'm with RanDibble on this one. the metal behind the ripple is compressed from the shear press. And the front isn't enough to trip the reject on the original silkscreen so it passed. In all HONESTY, leave it alone. You have a 99.99999999999999&4/10% chance of ruining it by trying to flatten it out. The metal behind it is so compressed about the only way to get rid of that is to melt it down and extrude the aluminum again. It's not worth the effort.

Back
Top Bottom