Todays 70's-80's Punk,post punk, new wave, alternative playlist

Madonna ~ Borderline (Sire, '83)
US 12" 45rpm, b/w Lucky Star

DSCN3892.jpg

MIke Watt and the Missingmen: Hypehnated Man. His latest and it's teriffic. I just saw them play it live this weekend and it was even better. Did some Minutemen and Stooges covers too. What a great band...

Romeo Void ~ Benefactor (Columbia, '82)
US

DSCN4008.jpg

An interesting thrift find the other day. They also had the follow up LP, Instincts, which I also grabbed. Basically I took a chance because the only thing I knew from RV was the single, Never Say Never which I always kind of liked. I remember being a youngster and seeing that video on MTV. It was alluring and disturbing at the same time so I hoped the rest of the tunes on the records would live up to that one. Gotta say, I am not disappointed. Punk-ish, new wave rhythms abound with tight, rubbery bass lines and pop hooks. One bummer though, is that during Never Say Never, there's a naughty F-word that is "bleeped" out. Hate that. :thumbsdn: Plus, there is a crazy, free-jazz sax solo at the end of the tune that is also edited out! The sax playing on these songs BTW is one of the distinguishing characteristics of this music. Excellent. Apparently, the unedited version exists on the 12" single which the store also had. Had I known that, I would've grabbed that one too. Maybe I can run back there today to see if it's still there...:D

Romeo Void ~ Never Say Never 12" (415 Records, '81)
US 4 song EP

DSCN4010.jpg

Okay. This is how Never Say Never should sound, complete with naughty F-word, and psycho sax solos. :yes: :D

Back
Top Bottom