Today's Bluegrass Playlist

Grainger49

Old Fart
I'll start with a little modern Bluegrass:

Alison Krauss & Union Station, "So Long So Wrong"

It is a new MOFI, two 200g LPs with only two or three songs per side. It sounds really good! This one is still in print as is "Live."

Your turn, any medium, all classic and modern Bluegrass, shoot include all Dawg Music as well.

Last edited:
p7310001.jpg

A FRIEND OF A FRIEND
Dave Rawlings Machine

Acony

Bluegrassy.

Skip, Hop and Wobble ~ Jerry Douglas, Russ Barenberg and Edgar Myer; this one pushes the envelope of what may be called bluegrass, but still, it's amazing; wish it were available on vinyl.

Vassar Clements ~ The Bluegrass Session; great album, lots of good players

Jimmy Martin ~ Jimmy Martin and the Sunny Martin Boys; The Bear Family CD box set; "Good 'n Country"

Plus a 4-hour bluegrass gig last night at Tiffany Tavern in Alexandria...now home construction today...

I really love "Skip Hop & Wobble!" I'm a big Jerry Douglas fan. I got to see him live in a small venue here a year and a half ago. I'm also impressed with Barrenberg and Meyer.

LP again, Strength In Numbers, "Telluride Sessions"

That is Be'la Fleck, Jerry Douglas, Mark O'Connor, Edgar Meyer and Sam Bush. But a lot of you will know that.

Last edited:
Good to see this thread. Just got back from the Northwest String Summit, (well got back 11 days ago) and the music was great as usual. It will be fun to read what you folks think are some good individuals and bands. You can never have too much bluegrass.

Last edited:
Doc Watson

"Two Days in November"

Attachments

• TwoDaysInNovember.jpg
    TwoDaysInNovember.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 21
Picked this up at a garage sale yesterday. Not in to bluegrass but the warning on the cover got me. Nice album, brought back memories of the Beverly Hillbillies.

Attachments

• 107_7481.jpg
    107_7481.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 63
I'm happy to see that there are a number of Bluegrass fans here.

GreatTone made me do it, Douglas, Barrenberg and Meyer (he's from Oak Ridge) "Skip Hop & Wobble"

I wish this album were available on Vinyl.

Kentucky Colonels 1965 1967 Rounder

Clarence! Just about anything on Rounder is good.

Glad I've started a trend with Skip Hop & Wobble. I love that bass solo on "From Ankara to Izmir." Crazy stuff.

For those who like Skip Hop & Wobble, how about Matt Flinner's "The View From Here," or anything by David Grier? I believe this stuff goes by the name "New Acoustic," but all the players come from bluegrass backgrounds, so it's never too far from there.

One of the reasons for starting the thread was to get clues to other Bluegrass I might like. I'll check out "The View From Here." Thanks!

Oh BTW, Thanks for starting this great thread. I really enjoy Bluegrass Music and am always looking for new artists.

Dennie

Anybody into Hot Rize? Pick up just about anything by them...don't think you'll be disappointed. The great Charles Sawtelle on guitar and Tim O'Brien on mando and vocals.

If you haven't checked out Yonder Mountain String band you probably should. If you can listen to a song or two with Darol Anger playing fiddle your toes will tap for sure.:yes:

I think this thread has increased my karma...last week at the GW I found a couple of LPs on the great bluegrass label Flying Fish -- a Vassar Clements album and one by the Red Clay Ramblers. Last night I found 4 more Flying Fish albums, all looking unplayed. Got 2 by Peter Rowan, one by a band I'm not familiar with called Hickory Wind, and the best of all, the debut, self-titled album Hot Rize. I have all their other albums on CD, so now the collection is complete. Hot Rize really was one of the best bluegrass bands around -- even if they did use electric bass. Amazing vocals, and Charles Sawtelle was just a great guitar player.

Also last night I found Bill Monroe's "Uncle Pen," on the original rainbow label Decca. Nice.

Back
Top Bottom