PA157528.jpg

SYMPHONY NO.3, A Pastoral Symphony
SYMPHONY NO.5
Ralph Vaughan Williams
New Philharmonia Orchestra
London Philharmonic Orchestra

Sir Adrian Boult - conductor

EMI
I recently became an instant fan of LPO as conducted by Sir Adrian Boult after hearing Vaughan Williams' A London Symphony (Symphony No. 2).

Tell me about this one, please, Ray. You know I'm a sucker for 20th-century orchestral music, but I can't find this on any of the music services I can access, even through the university, though I did find his Wikipedia entry. Worth a purchase?

I once joked that Pepping wrote Mahler symphonies for people who didn't like Mahler. I based that on having heard Furtwangler's recording of the Second Symphony and nothing else. Having listened to this recording for several years, the Second is darker than the other two and the PC, so isn't really representative, and Furtwangler had the genius to make almost anything sound better than it was!

I would now say that these, while being influenced to a certain extent by Mahler, also have heavy neo-classical influences with some strange counterpoint at times as well as all the hallmarks of pre-war 20th century
composition (think Hindemith).

Werner Albert is no Furtwangler ( who is??) and all the shortcomings of the compositions are exposed. Having said all that, these are interesting pieces of music which I enjoy listening to.

Are they indispensable hallmark 20th century compositions? Absolutely not.

Should you add them to your collection? You could do worse. :)

Ray

MI0001021899.jpg

Choir of the Intercession Cathedral Church in Grodno
Rejoice, O Indestructible Fortress and Stronghold of Orthodoxy

Release Date 1992
Duration01:12:14
Genre
Classical
Styles
Choral

Boston Symphony Orchestra - Saint-Saëns: Symph. No. 3/Debussy: La Mer/Ibert: Escales (Cond. Charles Munch)

Cover.JPG
Source: HP dc7600 Small Form Factor PC
Player: Winamp 2.95 with 250+ band Equalizer v1.62 for Winamp by Nevi
DAC: Audioquest DragonFly v1.2
Preamplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. PT5
Amplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. ST125.2
Speakers: KLH 9154

Last edited:
I was listening to Mozart String Quartet #21 K. 575 for the first time last night and recognized bits from another piece of music.
I thought parts of it resembled parts of Eine kleine Nachtmusik K. 525 but I can't find any reference from a quick Google.
Anyone familiar with K. 575 agree? What work does parts of it resemble?
Did Mozart "borrow" from his own repertoire?
Thanks

Now playing from this box - https://www.amazon.com/Freiburger-Barockorchester-Barockorchester/dp/B0054MEHZ8

Biber*, Schmelzer* - Freiburger Barockorchester Consort* ‎– Sonatas
Label:
Deutsche Harmonia Mundi ‎– 05472 77348 2
Format:
CD, Album
Germany
Released:
25 Sep 1995

3d2ccd10e864.jpg

R-3581414-1336148410.jpeg.jpg

Beethoven:

Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125
"Egmont" Overture, Op. 84

Irmgard Seefried (soprano)
Maureen Forrester (contralto)
Ernst Haefliger (tenor)
Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (baritone)

Chor der St.-Hedwigs-Kathedrale
Berliner Philharmoniker
Ferenc Fricsay

DG CD

71uzf32tKYL._SL600_.jpg

I was listening to Mozart String Quartet #21 K. 575 for the first time last night and recognized bits from another piece of music.
I thought parts of it resembled parts of Eine kleine Nachtmusik K. 525 but I can't find any reference from a quick Google.
Anyone familiar with K. 575 agree? What work does parts of it resemble?

This is the first of the Prussian Quartets. I don´t recognize any explicit quotations from others works, but the style has of course several melodic and harmonic lines that resemble contemporary works, e.g., like the serenade K.525 or the contemporary string quintets.

This is the first of the Prussian Quartets. I don´t recognize any explicit quotations from others works, but the style has of course several melodic and harmonic lines that resemble contemporary works, e.g., like the serenade K.525 or the contemporary string quintets.
From someone at talk classical:

"The slow movement of string quartet #21 k.575 has a similar theme with the Romanze from Eine Kleine Nachtmusik and also from the slow movement on piano sonata #16 "sonata facile" k 545."

Ah, closure. Now I can move on with my life :)

Back
Top Bottom