Today's INDIE Playlist

I'd like to thank a Texan for explaining the Canadian broadcasting rules! Also, the CRTC (Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission) is the regulatory body that sets and enforces standards and rules here.
I'm not really in Texas but I grew up in Detroit - home of the Legendary Border Station CKLW 800 AM in Windsor. It's decline has been blamed on Can-Con rules but it really got edged out by FM stations like WABX. Ironically when Detroit FM started to get stagnant with warmed-over Classic Rock hair band crap our friends across the river in Windsor came to the rescue with the alternative station 89X. Speaking of Can-Con - wait for the surprise ending :D ...

Radio Revolution: The Rise and Fall of the Big 8

I don't know right off hand but I think it's doable. I'll check into it some more tomorrow.

I did a little searching and found that youtube developers provide an API called iFrame API.
https://developers.google.com/youtube/iframe_api_reference
Between that and some SourceForge help I put together a simple html player that does a lot of what I want.

I just wanted to do this because I've noticed that there is a lot of content on this thread and it is hard give the posts attention that they deserve by clicking through each one and watching the video while listening. I found that sometimes I appreciate the posts more if I just listen to the music without looking at the video. Also, with playing the posts consecutively I'm less tempted to skip a post that I'm not sure about in the first 5 seconds or the video turns me off.

I'm not sure how responsible it would be for me to post an editable html file (w/javascript source) to this thread but if any of you are interested, I could send it to you directly.

What I would like to do now is to be able to parse the youtube IDs from the URLs that you capture in your "indie_links.pdf" and insert them into the player in an automated way. There are some other things that should be done as well. Again, if any of you are interested in contributing let me know and I'll send you what I have so far.

I did a little searching and found that youtube developers provide an API called iFrame API.
Between that and some SourceForge help I put together a simple html player that does a lot of what I want.

I just wanted to do this because I've noticed that there is a lot of content on this thread and it is hard give the posts attention that they deserve by clicking through each one and watching the video while listening. I found that sometimes I appreciate the posts more if I just listen to the music without looking at the video. Also, with playing the posts consecutively I'm less tempted to skip a post that I'm not sure about in the first 5 seconds or the video turns me off.

I'm not sure how responsible it would be for me to post an editable html file (w/javascript source) to this thread but if any of you are interested, I could send it to you directly.

What I would like to do now is to be able to parse the youtube IDs from the URLs that you capture in your "indie_links.pdf" and insert them into the player in an automated way. There are some other things that should be done as well. Again, if any of you are interested in contributing let me know and I'll send you what I have so far.
That's very cool. Right now the URL's are "embedded" in the PDF but I'll post a pure ASCII list in a few minutes once I update the list. I know what you mean about not wanting to wait more than 5 seconds for the song to grab you. Some songs build slowly and you bail too soon.

The Luyas - Dream In Time

Last edited:
What I would like to do now is to be able to parse the youtube IDs from the URLs that you capture in your "indie_links.pdf" and insert them into the player in an automated way.
OK - attached are too current lists - one is pure text and the other is clickable PDF. There shouldn't be any duplicate URL's but the same song could appear at two different URL's. If each song is 3 minutes long there are over 40 hours of tunes in the list.

Attachments

• indie_URLs.pdf
    75.5 KB · Views: 5
  • indie_URLs.txt
    36.6 KB · Views: 6
OK - attached are too current lists - one is pure text and the other is clickable PDF. There shouldn't be any duplicate URL's but the same song could appear at two different URL's. If each song is 3 minutes long there are over 40 hours of tunes in the list.

Thanks, Loopstick. That is exactly what I needed.

Okay, I don't fully understand all the technical talk here. But I think you've somehow made a way to listen to all the songs on this thread on YouTube without creating a playlist. If this is true, please dumb it down so I can join the fun.

Okay, I don't fully understand all the technical talk here. But I think you've somehow made a way to listen to all the songs on this thread on YouTube without creating a playlist. If this is true, please dumb it down so I can join the fun.

Hi QRanc, Yes it's just a file (html) that you can open up with your browser and a Youtube window comes up and plays the Indie posts in succession. No big deal but it allows you to listen to the Today's Indie Playlist thread posts consecutively without having to do anything. For me, it is really great to listen to music this way.

I need to give Loopstick the credit for compiling the indie_links document. It has the web address (URL) of each post on this thread along with who posted it, etc.. Something else that this document shows is the broken links to posts that don't exist anymore. He's been trying to fix them. In some of his past but recent posts he puts a "Dead link rescue" text at the top of his post indicating that he had fixed the link to a previous post. That's pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Have you heard their new album Heartworms? How do you compare "Wincing..." with that? I haven't really listened to either but I like this:

I really don't know a much about the group. Judging by the track you posted, their sound has changed quite a bit. Their earlier albums seemed more upbeat, even edging the indie pop genre, but still atmospheric and spacey. A quick check online tells me the frontman is the only original member now. Their stuff is on youtube if you want to get a quick listen

I really don't know a much about the group. Judging by the track you posted, their sound has changed quite a bit. Their earlier albums seemed more upbeat, even edging the indie pop genre, but still atmospheric and spacey. A quick check online tells me the frontman is the only original member now. Their stuff is on youtube if you want to get a quick listen

Thanks grillebilly. I'll check them out.

Back
Top Bottom