Today's INDIE Playlist

Merry Christmas everybody. About a week ago I got really annoyed with Windows 10 interrupting and interfering while trying to do a forced install of "Creators Upgrade" or whatever. So I just blew the whole thing away and went Linux. I saved all my source code but getting open source IDE's up and running has been kind of a dependency hell. Anyhoo - everything is cooking right now. The attached was formatted by the Linux version of Gnumeric. The links may not be clickable - for me I have to open the pdf in Opera (cntrl-o). Probably the same in Chrome. Not Firefox - you have to highlight the link and right-click for "open link in new window) or something. Dunno - still horsing with it.

Daniele Luppi & Parquet Courts - Mount Napoleon

Last edited:
Merry Christmas everybody. About a week ago I got really annoyed with Windows 10 interrupting and interfering while trying to do a forced install of "Creators Upgrade" or whatever. So I just blew the whole thing away and went Linux. I saved all my source code but getting open source IDE's up and running has been kind of a dependency hell. Anyhoo - everything is cooking right now. The attached was formatted by the Linux version of Gnumeric. The links may not be clickable - for me I have to open the pdf in Opera (cntrl-o). Probably the same in Chrome. Not Firefox - you have to highlight the link and right-click for "open link in new window) or something. Dunno - still horsing with it.

Congrats on the port to Linux! I have been considering it too and will probably do the same thing when Win7 becomes obsolete. If you don't mind, let us know if you miss anything.

Last edited:
Congrats on the port to Linux! I have been considering it too and will probably do the same thing when Win7 becomes obsolete. If you don't mind, let us know if you miss anything.
The only utility that I miss right now is IrfanView which doesn't have a linux version. It's got great batch processing options. So I'm gonna have to look into stuff like Gimp. I found an excellent editor Geany which does a great job with the three languages I mostly use - C, Pascal, Python. The other stuff was easy to replace. This browser I'm using - "Chromium" - is quick and clean like Opera, but seems less buggy. It's just a lot of fun making this all work.

Last edited:
The only utility that I miss right now is IrfanView which doesn't have a linux version. It's got great batch processing options. So I'm gonna have to look into stuff like Gimp. I found an excellent editor Geany which does a great job with the three languages I mostly use - C, Pascal, Python. The other stuff was easy to replace. This browser I'm using - "Chromium" - is quick and clean like Opera, but seems less buggy. It's just a lot of fun making this all work.

I've used InfranView in a graphics programming class that I had years ago. I'm not sure what you can do to replace it. It surprises me that there isn't a Linux version though. I'm in a band (amateur) and we record using Audacity. I assume that my old recording projects will work when I port to the Linux version. - It's that kind of stuff that makes me apprehensive. For a while now I've wanted to automate my home (thermostat, security system and media server). I have an old PC that I intend to put LinuxMCE on for this effort. I have a ton of other projects though so I haven't taken the dive yet. I know that this effort will consume many hours.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. I definitely would like to give Chromium a try.

I'm in a band (amateur) and we record using Audacity. I assume that my old recording projects will work when I port to the Linux version. - It's that kind of stuff that makes me apprehensive.
This flavor of linux I have (Mint) has a pretty good setup for installing popular software. I had Audacity installed with one mouse click. It works just like the PC version. The widget fonts seem small but maybe I can do something about that.

Your Friday Flashback -

Seapony - What You Wanted

OK so it's open source so I guess it's OK to play with it as long as you don't upload your changes. Here's what the numbers looked like before (really tiny) -

before.jpg

And then by changing two numbers we get this -

after.jpg

Which I totally prefer. Here's the changes ( I just doubled the two dimensions) -

change.jpg

Last edited:
This flavor of linux I have (Mint) has a pretty good setup for installing popular software. I had Audacity installed with one mouse click. It works just like the PC version. The widget fonts seem small but maybe I can do something about that.

Your Friday Flashback -

OK so it's open source so I guess it's OK to play with it as long as you don't upload your changes. Here's what the numbers looked like before (really tiny) -

View attachment 1076412

And then by changing two numbers we get this -

View attachment 1076415

Which I totally prefer. Here's the changes ( I just doubled the two dimensions) -

View attachment 1076417

Thanks for the one click Audacity installation info. Also, very cool that you are customizing that source. I don't think that I want to get down to that level but it's very cool that you can even do it. Maybe Ill do a LinuxMCE install this weekend and install Audacity on it....Hum???? Here we go...

Thanks Loop!

I put this up before but love it....and that clip.

The kid in video has his own Youtube channel with 125 MILLION hits.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom