criesrl3.jpg

THE CRIES OF LONDON
Gibbons, Cobbold, Weelkes, Dering, East, Ravenscroft, various texts
Theatre of Voices, Paul Hillier, dir.
Fretwork

Harmonia Mundi

Nic Jones - Ballads and Songs, 1970

You must have quite a collection.

I have all the Nic Jones LPs, but only some are originals. My Ballads and Songs is a Highway reissue, and my Noah's Ark Trap is a US pressing.

On the other hand, my 'Nic Jones S/T' is an autographed original.

Nic Jones, Penguin Eggs, on UK Topic.

It is his greatest LP, and still in print on CD. Cut down in his prime.....poor Nic.

I dunno, guys, I go away for three days and the thread ends up on page 2.

But here's one for you fans of Northumbrian piping:

cut2.jpg

Although only two are shown fitted up, all five play Northumbian piipes - but not all at once. I guess that might be too much, or maybe not.

It's the Cut and Dry Band, 'Cut and Dry #2', UK Topic 12TS423.

Hark! The Village Wait- Steeleye Span (UK RCA)

Dual female leads Gay Wood /Maddy Prior

I had tried to relate my evening sitting at the same table as Heather Wood who I had confused with Gay Wood two years ago at a Strawbs/Fairport show in Alexandria Va, two years ago but my log in keeps timing out and I don't know how to fix that so Ill try again one day .

Battlefield Band - There's a Buzz

US reissue, unfortunately. I don't seemed to have played this one for a few years.

I was quite startled to hear Northumbrian pipes on one track, so I looked at the insert, and sure enough Ged Foley played them. I don't think he was in the lineup for very long, just a couple of LPs.

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #603,477 in Music

I knew this wasn't exactly the world's most popular type of music, but really.....

Amazon-schmamazon. I shudder to think what fine example of musicianship occupies Amazon.com Sales Rank #1. :D

You got a point.

Now for one that probably would rank dead last: Richard Butler, The Perfect Triangle, on UK Saydisc SDL 345. Butler is a Northumbrian piper, and that's what this LP is, solo Northumbrian piping.

Both the recording and the playing is astoudingly good.

Now for one that probably would rank dead last: Richard Butler, The Perfect Triangle, on UK Saydisc SDL 345. Butler is a Northumbrian piper, and that's what this LP is, solo Northumbrian piping...

An excellent choice, and I'll bet it's a whole lot more interesting than what currently occupies Amazon.com Sales Rank #1! :yes:

Anybody here ever heard of Trees who were a 70s English folk band. Well Iv just had an email telling me that they have just reformed! Hope so there still one of my favourite bands allthough they only made 2 LPs.

Both are fine albums. My favorite of those second tier bands was Spirogyra.
Speaking of second tier bands I may pull out some JSD Band tonight or tomorrow.

Scottish band who played a lot in England 1969-1973. A favorite of John Peel. Made three lps.Country Of The Blind
JSD Band
Travelling Days

All guys,no sweet female singer. Kind of like Lindisfarne or a folky Faces.
Did alot of Trad .arr things as well as original material. Actually saw them in a club in Greenwich Village circa 1973. Must of been less than ten people there but the guys were loud and alot of fun. They may have reformed in the last few years too. I will have to check.

PM me and I could enable you to check them out.

Howard

One question from someone genuinely curious:

How come the Chieftans haven't been mentioned?

While I like music from the isles, I have yet to enjoy most of the acts mentioned here, so please take it from that perspective.

Are the C's too commercial? Or just taken for granted as being great? I could see that many could think of them as fulfilling the clichees on many tunes (drinking, carousing...) but...well, you tell me..:scratch2:

For your approval, a singer (Scottish-born, later living in Aus.): Eric Bogle.

He wrote "The Green Fields of France", also "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda".
To this day I cannot get through 'Fields of France' without crying, much the same with 'Matilda'.

Anyone else like him?

Best,
C.

Back
Top Bottom