Today's JAZZ playlist

MI0002514085.jpg

Mimi Fox - Turtle Logic

Following up on Post #72881

I have now listened good and hard to The Original Gerry Mulligan - Chet Baker Quartet - The Complete Recordings (Master Takes), and this 2 CD set has really grown on me. It just swings like crazy! No piano is plus here. I haven't listened to Mulligan before, and - is this crazy to say? - I hear a little Coleman Hawkins in him.

I can see why you may hear a bit of a similarity. To me, the Hawk's trademark is his vibrato that starts even before the reed starts to vibrate. You can hear his breath generating vibrato first just before the reed engages on some of his notes. I don't hear that with Mulligan, or at least have not picked it out that much yet.

When you really start listening to Saxophonists in depth, you will usually hear trademark form that ultimately differentiates one Saxophonist from the other. Another keen example of a "signature" style is Johnny Hodges and his signature "Slide UP to the note" style. Hodges sometimes does not "Hit" the note square, but instead, starts a few notes below the target note and "slides" up to it like he's playing a SLIDE Saxophone. It's interesting. There are a couple examples of this to the extreme where he's playing with Duke Ellington's band on live performances.

But apart from that signature mark that many Saxophonists have, I sometimes hear similarities between them, and it's interesting when you do. And it makes sense. Many start off by trying to "imitate" another's style. Usually they branch off to their own signature style, but a bit of the imitation often remains.

Last edited:
Kenny Clarke - Meets The Detroit Jazzmen

Kenny Clarke (d) with Pepper Adams, Tommy Flanagan, Kenny Burrell and Paul Chambers. Recorded April 30, 1956. Arista Records 1977 reissue of Savoy Jazz SJL1111. Vinyl.

I love Tommy Flanagan's solo on "You Turned The Tables On Me"...

Back
Top Bottom