Today's JAZZ playlist

The Duke

Duke Ellington and his Orchestra - Ellington Uptown
Columbia

I don't where I got this cd but it sounds great and is a really nice production.

Stan Kenton - Adventures in Blues
Capitol

When I post here you'll more than likely see Kenton. Been addicted for close to 40 years.

Greg

Slim Gaillard with Dizzy Gillespie and Orchestra
Junior Mance STRAIGHT AHEAD!
"Illinois Jacquet Flies Again"
Hank Jones the talented touch

Dexter Gordon - Our Man In Paris
Michael Franks - Art of Tea (i know pop-jazz!)
Steely Dan - A Decade of Steely Dan (i know rock-jazz!)

Charlie Haden - "Land of the Sun"
Larry Goldings - "Sweet Science"
Nicholas Payton - "Payton's Place"

Listening to more Nicholas in anticpation of seeing him at the Portland Jazz Festival day after tomorrow.

Art
Do you know Pink Martini from Portland? I saw them in Town Hall in NYC last night. Nice concert - they may have filled the house. Tough group to categorize but fun to listen to.

Yeah, they play around here alot. We have a wonderful jazz culture in the NW. With Jimmy Mak's in Portland, Jazz Alley and the Triple Door in Seattle just to name a few great venues Jazz is always playin' somewhere here. Not like NYC ofcourse but better than just about anywhere else. I love it here!

Nothing like live jazz. Good to see the Mt. Hood Jazz festival attemting to return to its former glory.

Horace Silver - Horace Silver & The Jazz Messengers
Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
Miles Davis - Bags Groove

I have a very close friend from Astoria who lives in NYC now. She love's it too and has been trying to get us to come out with her for a visit. Hope to do so in the next year or two.

Last year the Mt Hood Jazz Festival was awful. Nothin' but locals...most disappointing. 2004 was awesome. I saw Los Hombres Calientes with Bill Summers and Irvin Mayfield, Madeleine Peyroux, The Heath Bros (Albert, Percy and Tootie), and James Carter. Met them all. With last years downfall of the Mt Hood Jazz Festival it's really good to see that the 3rd annual Portland Jazz Festival has become a huge event taking up 9 days with over 100 events. I will see McCoy Tyner w/Ravi Coltrane and Nicholas Payton, but there are literally dozens of other events. South of here is the Oregon Festival of American Music which is a nearly year round event that includes music from all genres but last year was special for Jazz. I saw Cassandra Wilson, Tomasz Stanko, Directions in Music with Herbie Hancock, Michael Brecker and Roy Hargrove, The Dave Holland Big Band, Luciana Souza and many more. Like I said I love this place.

Finished the evening last night with 3 Shirley Horn CD's,

"You Won't Forget me"
"Close Enough for Love"
"You're My Thrill"

Started this morning with XM channel 70 "The Real Jazz Channel".

Spent last night in the presence of the great McCoy Tyner with his guest Ravi Coltrane at the Hilton Grand Ballroom in Portland. It was absolutely splendid, his bass player was beyond belief. I sat in the third row and drank in the fabulous music. Went home and poured a scotch and put on John Coltrane "Crescent". What a way to spend the evening.

So far today it's been some Charlie Parker and Tina Brooks.

Parker - Complete Verve Master Takes (disc 3)
Brooks - True Blue

Up next is another favorite of mine....Hank Mobley.

Alberta Hunter, Amtrak Blues If you haven't heard this buy it! Highly recommended.

cubdog

Back
Top Bottom