Today's JAZZ playlist

John Young Trio "The John Young Trio" - Delmark Records (1964) promo
John Young Trio Delmark Promo 1.jpg
This Lp seems to be a reissue of some earlier 7" sides from 1959 but I bought it because I noticed the Chicago Bassist Victor Sproles name and remembered him from Lee Morgan's "The Rumproller" and also "Hyde Park After Dark" with Clifford Jordan and Von Freeman. Pianist John Young is also a Chicago Guy and recorded with the likes of Von Freeman and Dexter Gordon. Yeah -no horns- but still a pretty cool sounding early 60's trio....

View attachment 938846
This Lp seems to be a reissue of some earlier 7" sides from 1959 but I bought it because I noticed the Chicago Bassist Victor Sproles name and remembered him from Lee Morgan's "The Rumproller" and also "Hyde Park After Dark" with Clifford Jordan and Von Freeman. Pianist John Young is also a Chicago Guy and recorded with the likes of Von Freeman and Dexter Gordon. Yeah -no horns- but still a pretty cool sounding early 60's trio....

I saw Victor Sproles play once in New York City with Clark Terry, Chris Woods on alto, Barry Harris, and Billy Hart on drums. That was SOMETHING. And Sproles was swingin'!

Last edited:
I was 17 and a Senior in High School taking Music Theory as an elective. My Music Theory teacher had just bought this album and was playing it when we walked into his classroom. Blew me away. My father played Jazz all the time, but I never paid it any mind. For some reason, hearing this album clicked on the Jazz switch in my brain. The album was recorded and released in the mid 70s, so some of the cuts definitely have a "disco-esque" sound. Lots of Wurlitzer electric piano and wah-wah guitar that was popular at the time. But all-in-all, a good offering by Herman.

Yes, "La Fiesta" rips the vinyl off the album on that first cut. Sure grabs your attention! It's odd that a 17 year old Rock fan would take a hard right turn into Big Band Jazz, but that's what happened to me. And it was this album that started it all.
Definitely a cool album. I liked reading about this album and how he liked to work with younger musicians and encouraged them to arrange music of current songs. A Song For You was quite nice. :D I'm a big Leon Russell fan.

Miles Davis - In a Silent Way -

81yoKzosxYL._SL1500_.jpg

Eric

It looks like the original LP was probably a 10" one and has fewer cuts, like you say. But then here is an early copy that added the songs you were talking about.

R-3353503-1327018960.jpeg.jpg
t29967-0-t29967_1280x1280.jpg

Truly an amazing album. The sound quality on my is really excellent also. I imagine it would be just as nice on these records. Capitol put out some great sounding LPs.

I've the above copy, but not in a 10". This like any albums have been released multiple times. It is a surprising record for those who are expecting Big Band Ellington.

View attachment 938846

Sproles was a real man about town in Chicago. Played with Ira Sullivan's bands over the years too - another great example of underrated.

I've the above copy, but not in a 10". This like any albums have been released multiple times. It is a surprising record for those who are expecting Big Band Ellington.

Yeah King, I gotcha. And a really good point about this record probably being a surprise to people used to hearing big band Ellington.

Back
Top Bottom