Today's JAZZ playlist

When the power came back on after being out when a storm took out a tree that in turn blew the top off of a pole, had to have some Buddy. Quite a site to see a strike from about a mile away. Lightening is so cool to behold. Anyway, hats off to the crew that replaced everything and restrung the lines,great work and up in only 10 hours. The son and I decided to pull the camping gear and cook them bacon, eggs, and hot coffee for breakfast. Great job guys!!
View attachment 939375

Camping gear is such a lifesaver when you need it.

My girlfriend and I have a stockpile of items for Hurricane survival. Gas stove with about 10 propane cyls, solar cells, batteries, lanterns, flashlights, 1500 watt generator with 5 gallons of Sta-Bil stabilized fuel, 5 volt USB fans, and the list goes on and on. Never had to use any of it because, IMO, we are prepared. Murphy's Law. Have none of this and sure enough, you'll be without power for weeks. All of the power in Hawaii comes from Oil imported from the Mainland. That supply stops for even a few days and it's all over but the crying. I've got enough solar batteries to be able to run just about anything but high amp 110. The generator could run the fridge. The issue will be refrigeration. I do have a 12 volt cooler that is only 2 amp so that's way less than a 10 amp fridge. That at least is better than nothing. I can convert that 12 volt cooler to an air conditioner in a pinch. Easy to do. Lots of videos on Youtube showing how to do that. Could be a lifesaver if there is no power, high humidity, and 95 degree temps after a hurricane wipes everything out.

Sunday Streaming day, gents. Currently listening to Glen Woodcock's Big Band Jazz show on CJRT Toronto. www.jazz.frm

At 10:00 (Eastern) tuning on over to Uncle Ted's Night Train Jazz on WLRN Miami.

EDIT:
I should add that Glen Woodcock, being the classy guy that he is, is dedicating this show to the US Memorial day Holiday, even though his show originates from Toronto. He's playing mostly Armed Forces Big Band, like "The Airmen of Note".

Last edited:
These Music Matters Blue Note pressings are amazing.
TPdBcvy.jpg

My girlfriend and I have a stockpile of items for Hurricane survival. Gas stove with about 10 propane cyls, solar cells, batteries, lanterns, flashlights, 1500 watt generator with 5 gallons of Sta-Bil stabilized fuel, 5 volt USB fans, and the list goes on and on. Never had to use any of it because, IMO, we are prepared. Murphy's Law. Have none of this and sure enough, you'll be without power for weeks. All of the power in Hawaii comes from Oil imported from the Mainland. That supply stops for even a few days and it's all over but the crying. I've got enough solar batteries to be able to run just about anything but high amp 110. The generator could run the fridge. The issue will be refrigeration. I do have a 12 volt cooler that is only 2 amp so that's way less than a 10 amp fridge. That at least is better than nothing. I can convert that 12 volt cooler to an air conditioner in a pinch. Easy to do. Lots of videos on Youtube showing how to do that. Could be a lifesaver if there is no power, high humidity, and 95 degree temps after a hurricane wipes everything out.
Around these parts it's the other end of the spectrum that would be an issue.
We could survive a nasty storm during the spring/summer/fall. I try and keep enough water, gas, propane, canned goods, um beer (heh heh), etc. around to get through a tornado(no hurricanes around here).
Winter would kick my ass, though. A power outage for a few days in -25c or so temps would be tough.

We could survive a nasty storm during the spring/summer/fall. I try and keep enough water, gas, propane, canned goods, um beer (heh heh), etc. around to get through a tornado(no hurricanes around here).
Winter would kick my ass, though. A power outage for a few days in -25c or so temps would be tough.

I had a place in Upstate New York many years ago, Kris. and Kerosene Heaters (two of them) saved my life one time in January during a power outage. -15 c outside, about 16 c inside. So much easier than burning wood - as long as you have Kerosene! I used to keep 10 gallons (two 5 gallon cans) hanging around just for such an emergency.

BTW, just picked this one up;

51MV4uuyyCL._SX425_.jpg

I actually know Sarah, and enjoy her Trombone and Big Band sound. This album was difficult to get for a while, but now it's available again.

Last edited:

Being prepared is the key because you never now when mother nature will let you know who is really in charge.The best thing I ever did was get all three of my sons into scouts. The lessons learned are lifesavers in most cases. I'm proud to say i have one Eagle so far...

Speaking of trombones....
jjin-person.jpg

Been meaning to tell you.....
GREAT Vinyl Engine, my friend. I have an MMF-7.1 that I don't use that often. I seem to spin the old Pioneer PL-514 the most, with the Yamaha YP-D4 next in line. But Music Hall makes a GREAT line of tables. Congrats!
Thanks Billy. I would love to own all those tables you have. Especially the Yamaha. Didn't know you had a MH MMF 7.1. Wow !!! Gotta tell me more in a PM so this thread isn't sidetracked.

The MMF 2.2 has been a great table so far. Snagged for less than 300. Much better then the uTurn Orbit I was using. I really like the Ortofon OM10 clone cartridge it's running. I can easily swap the OM20 stylus on for an instant upgrade. In fact my next table purchase will probably be the MMF 7.3. That will probably be my end game table for many many years.

Sounds like you need to get your Florida system to Hawaii for more use. :D;)

Back
Top Bottom