Today's JAZZ playlist

As I was just telling Kingpin, it was really something. I remember my friend and I getting back at dawn. He was driving, I was completely zonked out in the front seat. We had to get a ferry to Shelter Island, which is a part of Long Island. I don't think we had to wait for the ferry. It started up around 6 a.m. That was the summer of 1977.

Those were the times you could see the artists who shaped this music. There are great artists today who are performing, but into the 70s giants performed regularly and were reasonably accessible, AND tickets were priced. $5-15. Hell, I saw Ellington perform at a High School for $6!

McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy - (Rudy Van Gelder Edition)

R-3388506-1328463994.jpeg.jpg

Eric

Those were the times you could see the artists who shaped this music. There are great artists today who are performing, but into the 70s giants performed regularly and were reasonably accessible, AND tickets were priced. $5-15. Hell, I saw Ellington perform at a High School for $6!

The whole concept of clubs was different then too. I think the only thing that's better now, is that they have "no smoking" policies. But that's another topic. We were lucky to witness the tail end of that era. They were the creators of the music. Being around those people was to absorb the music.

Last edited:
2957778029.jpg

Got a copy of this today and am listening to it right now. Really nice album. I love Teddy Wilson on Verve. This is actually Wilson with three different groups. Side B is a reissue of the 10" LP "Soft Moods" with Arvell Shaw on bass, and J.C. Heard on drums. That entire album, and again Side B of this LP is comprised of the tunes: "Nice Work If You Can Get It", "Airmail Special", "Night And Day", "Cheek To Cheek", East Of The Sun", "Autumn In New York", "Isn't It Romantic, and Wilson playing solo piano on "You Go To My Head".

Side A starts out with Wilson playing with John Simmons on bass and Buddy Rich on drums. The tunes with that group are "The One I Love", "Darn That Dream", "Tea For Two", and "Oh Lady Be Good".

Then Teddy is joined by Aaron Bell on bass, and the great Denzil Best on drums. The tunes they play are "Emaline", "Tenderly", "Everything Happens To Me", and "Liza".

This info is not provided on the "Intimate Listening" LP, but is courtesy of the JG Research Center! I love to look up information on the net.

If this is anywhere as good as your report....!!!! This kind of research is greatly appreciated. When we're looking for acquisitions, this adds to our knowledge base. Thanks JG for founding your Research Center. May you carry on with the excellent work you have already started.

Check out the post above. I forgot to quote your post. But the second LP is nice. He had a nice orchestra...

I am curious about these two. The first one, Heavy Exposure is a Cadet (Chess) release. I wonder if it was recorded in the Chicago studio?, which by this point was fully equipped and blowing the doors off with arrangements and orchestrations. The Fantasy release, which I peg as a California label, I wonder what they used for their studios? So much great music came from both imprints, but both yielded different "sounds". Some of the Cadet (Chess) releases just "sound" like Chicago, but then maybe that's my subliminal memory from hearing all that great music growing up. I do attribute Fantasy with an almost neutral sound, even though they favored and delivered the "cool jazz" sounds from the 50s onward. I've only 1.5 recordings of the Herman "Herd" , I kinda think I should add more too. I heard an early 70s cut on the radio the other week and was impressed. It was something like a Hendrix song or something that I totally didn't expect. I've always pegged Herman as a 40s Pop band that just limped on as a nostalgia act, with devoted fans keeping them going. Any thoughts?

If this is anywhere as good as your report....!!!! This kind of research is greatly appreciated. When we're looking for acquisitions, this adds to our knowledge base. Thanks JG for founding your Research Center. May you carry on with the excellent work you have already started.

Hey, King. It's really a great LP. I really love the tunes he plays here. And the research center will continue! In fact, we're opening up the Kingpin Wing next week. Perhaps you can be on hand for the opening ceremony! ;)

I am curious about these two. The first one, Heavy Exposure is a Cadet (Chess) release. I wonder if it was recorded in the Chicago studio?, which by this point was fully equipped and blowing the doors off with arrangements and orchestrations. The Fantasy release, which I peg as a California label, I wonder what they used for their studios? So much great music came from both imprints, but both yielded different "sounds". Some of the Cadet (Chess) releases just "sound" like Chicago, but then maybe that's my subliminal memory from hearing all that great music growing up. I do attribute Fantasy with an almost neutral sound, even though they favored and delivered the "cool jazz" sounds from the 50s onward. I've only 1.5 recordings of the Herman "Herd" , I kinda think I should add more too. I heard an early 70s cut on the radio the other week and was impressed. It was something like a Hendrix song or something that I totally didn't expect. I've always pegged Herman as a 40s Pop band that just limped on as a nostalgia act, with devoted fans keeping them going. Any thoughts?

I don't know about the different studios, but I myself was a bit asleep on Herman for a long time. For many years, I would have shared your view of him as a "nostalgia act", but he's anything but that. I've got a couple of nice records by him, one small group, one big band. They're really great. Definitely check out his stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom