Today's JAZZ playlist

Youtube RED has a new mini-series called "Ultimate Expedition" about amateurs that attempt serious mountain climbing for the first time. Worth a look if you have Google Play music or Youtube RED.

I've always wanted to do the Base Camp 1 Trek to Everest. While I'm in good shape, I need to try and bucket-list-tick that before it is too late.

Just finished the first episode. Time for music.

First up;

Earl Hines - Back on the Street

61-xR0RAl0L._SS500.jpg

Youtube RED has a new mini-series called "Ultimate Expedition" about amateurs that attempt serious mountain climbing for the first time. Worth a look if you have Google Play music or Youtube RED.

I've always wanted to do the Base Camp 1 Trek to Everest. While I'm in good shape, I need to try and bucket-list-tick that before it is too late.

Just finished the first episode. Time for music.

First up;

Earl Hines - Back on the Street

61-xR0RAl0L._SS500.jpg

This is about the closest I'll get to climbing Everest!

everest1b.jpg

Nice Earl Hines record! Great group!

We will find these people and deal with them accordingly! LOL :naughty:

I wonder if the "most" description is accurate. But probably it is, in that we're living in an era, in which even many of today's jazz musicians don't go back and listen to the more recent giants of the music.

I think what I was trying to get at was that MOST don't find "Dixieland" appealing, not that it ain't great music. Heck I like the stuff...music from the 20s and 30s were my first intro this music we call Jazz. The Dixieland appellation was an unjust category, and man did the cats hate it. But that's another story. Oh, one other thing, I approve of your draconian approach to the "non-believers". :whip:

I think one of his famous quotes was, "We don't flat our fifths - we drink 'em!"

Here's today's trivia quiz: How man incarnations of Condon's club were there?

Without checking, I'm thinking something like 5 different incarnations. But this is prolly a trick question and there was only ONE.

This is about the closest I'll get to climbing Everest!

everest1b.jpg

Nice Earl Hines record! Great group!

Thanks, it really is a good record.

I hear you on Everest. You can trek to base camp 1 with a guided group and Sherpas for about $5k US. That's really not "mountain climbing" per se, but it is rugged. 17,600 feet takes a toll on you even though you are just "hiking". There is no climbing but at that altitude every step UP the mountain is monumental to many - even those in decent shape at sea level. I remember the first time I went to Breckenridge, Colorado (9,800 feet). I was a serious triathlete at the time and in superior shape (at sea level). I decided to go for a 5k run that evening. Made it about 2 k before I had to walk. At sea level, I'd never walk on a 5k. That was just a warm-up run for me at the time, but NOT at that elevation. 5k seemed like a 1/2 Ironman distance.

Breckenridge was the first place I remember seeing mini oxygen bottles being sold at convenience stores like chewing gum at the register. I actually bought one, and yes, it made a big difference.

But paying $5k for a trek to base camp 1 Everest is far-fetched for me. Yet....who knows. I'm not dead yet.

I think what I was trying to get at was that MOST don't find "Dixieland" appealing, not that it ain't great music. Heck I like the stuff...music from the 20s and 30s were my first intro this music we call Jazz. The Dixieland appellation was an unjust category, and man did the cats hate it. But that's another story. Oh, one other thing, I approve of your draconian approach to the "non-believers". :whip:

Oh, I know that YOU like Dixieland! I was just kidding around about maybe other people not liking it!

And yessssss...we will have to deal with those people, won't we! LOL

I hear you on Everest. You can trek to base camp 1 with a guided group and Sherpas for about $5k US. That's really not "mountain climbing" per se, but it is rugged. 17,600 feet takes a toll on you even though you are just "hiking". There is no climbing but at that altitude every step UP the mountain is monumental to many - even those in decent shape at sea level. I remember the first time I went to Breckenridge, Colorado (9,800 feet). I was a serious triathlete at the time and in superior shape (at sea level). I decided to go for a 5k run that evening. Made it about 2 k before I had to walk. At sea level, I'd never walk on a 5k. That was just a warm-up run for me at the time, but NOT at that elevation. 5k seemed like a 1/2 Ironman distance.

Breckenridge was the first place I remember seeing mini oxygen bottles being sold at convenience stores like chewing gum at the register. I actually bought one, and yes, it made a big difference.

But paying $5k for a trek to base camp 1 Everest is far-fetched for me. Yet....who knows. I'm not dead yet.

I live here in Colorado and was at the very top of Crested Butte, ~12,000 ft, it was Summer and it is an easy climb...I was still winded and not really appreciating the amazing views. Oh, and the fact that I don't bounce. That didn't help either. I was born and raised in Illinois and affectionately call myself a "flat lander". Love the mountains, like the easy trails up, like the easy drive up even more, but don't think I'm going to climb any of the 14'ers here in Colorado.

Well, 17,600 feet sounds like mountain climbing to me! That would be amazing if you did do that one day. As for me, my dreams about Everest extend just to making it to the BASE. I once did climb almost to the top of Triglav Mountain in the Czech Republic. I decided not to go to the very top. I went with some friends from Austria, who may have been mountain goats in their previous lives. We went up and down the mountain in the same day. They did go to the peak. Coming down was almost harder than going up. It was certainly scarier. Scaling down parts of the mountain that were perpendicular to the ground, climbing down iron pegs. It was ok going up those, but when you had to maneuver to get yourself down on them to go down, that was wild. I decided I would go down, and panic later. It was no time for the squeamish. All in all, I was pretty proud of myself 'til I saw these little kids scooting past me!

I live here in Colorado and was at the very top of Crested Butte, ~12,000 ft, it was Summer and it is an easy climb...I was still winded and not really appreciating the amazing views. Oh, and the fact that I don't bounce. That didn't help either. I was born and raised in Illinois and affectionately call myself a "flat lander". Love the mountains, like the easy trails up, like the easy drive up even more, but don't think I'm going to climb any of the 14'ers here in Colorado.

Yes. As a New Yorker/Floridian/Hawaiian I was a sea level guy all of my life. Starting about 15 years ago, I started going to a meeting every year in Colorado Springs at the Olympic Center. At 6k feet, it's a challenge to go for a "run" there as a flatlander, but that extra 3.5k at Breckenridge really kicked my butt. Seriously. I could not believe the difference. I thought that because I could hack it at 6k feet in Colorado Springs that I would have no problem at 9,500 feet at Breckenridge. WRONG. I can only imagine what 17k feet feels like or higher on Everest. I bet you struggle for every breath and step you take, even if you are in Olympic Class shape.

And to summit Everest? You are walking around where airliners fly. Good grief.

Without checking, I'm thinking something like 5 different incarnations. But this is prolly a trick question and there was only ONE.

Oh hey King, just seeing this. Actually, it was three. The first one was in Greenwich Village, the second one was on 52nd St., and the third one was on 54th St. It was a couple of doors away from Jimmy Ryan's which was also on 54th St. Ryan's also used to be on 52nd St. I used to go to the 54th St. Ryan's all the time, and hit Condon's occasionally. The Condon's band had Connie Kay and Vic Dickenson in it. while the Ryan's band featured Roy Eldridge.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom