Today's JAZZ playlist

Record store were good places to hang out to see and hear new music. I know how they died out, the why they ALL had to go. Suppose they're like Woolworth's, gone.

I'm going to guess that Denver is better than Syracuse, NY, which is obviously not a big city, and really only has two smaller independent stores that I find to be worth a trip. There are also the thrift stores which I hit from time to time and still come across the occasional welcome find there. I don't see the situation getting much better in my lifetime, however!

EPVyYEJ.jpg

I'm going to guess that Denver is better than Syracuse, NY, which is obviously not a big city, and really only has two smaller independent stores that I find to be worth a trip. There are also the thrift stores which I hit from time to time and still come across the occasional welcome find there. I don't see the situation getting much better in my lifetime, however!

I'm referring to the "golden age " for record stores, roughly 1960-1990 (although you could go to 2000, just before the iPod's first appearance). They seem to be experiencing a renaissance, but one good economic downturn and the whole house of cards will come down. Hunting records is part of the hobby. I've made stunning buys and finds at estate sales. I'm also lucky in that I visit other cities and countries so I can look there. It's a freaking full time job. I've a buddy who has some gorgeous vinyl, stuff that we would droll over, that he's just sitting on, without adding to it. He always is amazed at what I uncover, lamenting that HE never finds stuff. I keep telling him, ya gotta commit.

Barry Harris Quintet ~ Newer Than New
Riverside Mono, 1961

Barry_Harris,_Newer_than_New.jpg

Barry_Harris_Newer_than_New_2.jpg
Would love to hear that one. It appears Barry Harris is still going strong. Last summer he taught a class at the Jazz Institute of Chicago. I'm a supporter of that organization but I decided not to enroll in the class and drive him crazy. ;) My mother was a pretty talented pianist but I did not inherit her abilities.

I'm referring to the "golden age " for record stores, roughly 1960-1990 (although you could go to 2000, just before the iPod's first appearance). They seem to be experiencing a renaissance, but one good economic downturn and the whole house of cards will come down. Hunting records is part of the hobby. I've made stunning buys and finds at estate sales. I'm also lucky in that I visit other cities and countries so I can look there. It's a freaking full time job. I've a buddy who has some gorgeous vinyl, stuff that we would droll over, that he's just sitting on, without adding to it. He always is amazed at what I uncover, lamenting that HE never finds stuff. I keep telling him, ya gotta commit.
Good advice. And let's not forget church rummage sales, yard sales and garage sales. That's how I've found most of my LPs, typically for $1 or $2. Occasionally they're a little more. Sometimes they're less, like 25 cents or 50 cents each. I see the same ones in record stores, in the same condition, for $12 and up.

Would love to hear that one. It appears Barry Harris is still going strong. Last summer he taught a class at the Jazz Institute of Chicago. I'm a supporter of that organization but I decided not to enroll in the class and drive him crazy. ;) My mother was a pretty talented pianist but I did not inherit her abilities.

Now you have to fly to New York and go to his class!! ;) But seriously, you would have loved it, and Barry works with musicians at all levels! Barry actually just went through a very tough time after experiencing a serious injury due to a fall a few months back. All of his friends and students visited him while he went through rehabilitation, and he has thankfully improved a lot, and just started teaching again. He loves what he is doing so much. He wouldn't have it any other way.

Now you have to fly to New York and go to his class!! ;) But seriously, you would have loved it, and Barry works with musicians at all levels! Barry actually just went through a very tough time after experiencing a serious injury due to a fall a few months back. All of his friends and students visited him while he went through rehabilitation, and he has thankfully improved a lot, and just started teaching again. He loves what he is doing so much. He wouldn't have it any other way.
Sorry to hear about Barry's fall but glad to hear he is recovering. Not many guys left who played on so many classic jazz albums, with all that history. Great to see someone who loves what they do and has no desire to "retire." I was not very good on piano but I do remember enough about it to help me appreciate someone who is excellent, like Barry Harris. I have no desire to torture anyone else with my playing, though. :D

Sorry to hear about Barry's fall but glad to hear he is recovering. Not many guys left who played on so many classic jazz albums, with all that history. Great to see someone who loves what they do and has no desire to "retire." I was not very good on piano but I do remember enough about it to help me appreciate someone who is excellent, like Barry Harris. I have no desire to torture anyone else with my playing, though. :D

Ha ha, I'm sure you're being too modest. Barry would teach you chords up the scale, starting with a major scale, let's say C major. Play a C in the bass, and put B and E in the right and go up an octave,and then come down again. Then you could do the same thing with E first and B on top. (Play the C two octaves below middle C in the left hand, and the first B in the right is just below middle C, while the E is the one above it.) He would want you to know that most people learn chords wrong, by not realizing that each chord comes from a scale of chords.

But yeah, I know that Barry would never want to "retire", and know that getting back to working with his students was one of the things that helped him through what happened to him. I worry that he might over-extend himself sometimes, but know that it is what he is doing that drives him.

One of his nicest recordings, IMO. Coleman and Tommy together. :music: Tommy was his favorite pianist. He would always say, "He plays all the choice notes. He plays all the notes all you other pianists leave out!" Coleman loved all the Detroit pianists. Barry Harris said the first time he played with him, Coleman said, "Ah, you Detroits..."

I love Wendell Marshall and Osie Johnson on that recording also.

Back
Top Bottom