Today's JAZZ playlist

Breaking the morning silence with some more 80s David Murray. Shortly after getting this album, I played it for a certain girl. She simply scrunched up her face and told me I was weird.

hEddCQy.jpg

We've all had that happen, on some level.

That Newman album was really enjoyable. It's on a weirdo label that I have never heard of, Honey Dew.
It also has quite possibly one of the strangest covers ever for a jazz album. Straight up jazz, but it looks like it's one of those funky 70s disco jazz things. Or a Jane Fonda workout record.

R-8335422-1459602637-3907.jpeg.jpg

@BillyBatts and @poppachubby , have you guys check this one out yet?

OUCH!! that's gonna leave a mark.

Breaking the morning silence with some more 80s David Murray. Shortly after getting this album, I played it for a certain girl. She simply scrunched up her face and told me I was weird.

hEddCQy.jpg

SWMBO hates Jazz. My friends on here have heard me say that for years. She makes it well known to me and all her friends that she, without a doubt, absolutely HATES Jazz. If there were a PA system in our condo complex, she'd probably announce it via that system as well so that all of our neighbors knew she hated Jazz. I'm shocked she has not taken out a full page ad in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin "I HATE BILLY'S JAZZ!".

Now, she's "mellowed" a bit. i.e., she no longer gets up, walks over to the turntable and drags the stylus across the vinyl to stop the playback.... thank goodness. But she is not a fan of "my music" by any stretch unless I take her to Blue Note Hawaii. For some reason the live Jazz there sits OK with her, probably because I'm buying her dinner and drinks. Otherwise, a "scrunched" face would be the least of my concerns. :)

SWMBO hates Jazz. My friends on here have heard me say that for years. She makes it well known to me and all her friends that she, without a doubt, absolutely HATES Jazz. If there were a PA system in our condo complex, she'd probably announce it via that system as well so that all of our neighbors knew she hated Jazz. I'm shocked she has not taken out a full page ad in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin "I HATE BILLY'S JAZZ!".

Now, she's "mellowed" a bit. i.e., she no longer gets up, walks over to the turntable and drags the stylus across the vinyl to stop the playback.... thank goodness. But she is not a fan of "my music" by any stretch unless I take her to Blue Note Hawaii. For some reason the live Jazz there sits OK with her, probably because I'm buying her dinner and drinks. Otherwise, a "scrunched" face would be the least of my concerns. :)

I restate my position, We have all been there, on some level with Significant Other OR other....

I self edit this to also add, It is damn hard to please some people and their musical tastes.

Last edited:
We've all had that happen, on some level.

Yeah. I had a few other similar experiences, but that particular one stung a bit. It was also somewhat unexpected as she liked playing 20th century classical. French horn players, I guess...

Ouch. I've had relationships where musical tastes were disparate, but nothing that severe. Are you able to tolerate her music a bit better? I used to think I could at least put up with about any music, if not find something in it of interest, but I now look to escape a room if certain things are playing.

Now, she's "mellowed" a bit. i.e., she no longer gets up, walks over to the turntable and drags the stylus across the vinyl to stop the playback.... thank, goodness. But she is not a fan of "my music" by any stretch unless I take her to Blue Note Hawaii. For some reason the live Jazz there sits OK with her, probably because I'm buying her dinner and drinks. Otherwise, a "scrunched" face would be the least of my concerns. :)

Hey Billy -

LOL, the way you describe that is so funny.

Hope you're feeling better. Did you finish the Sinatra book? I'm up to the very last part.

OUCH!! that's gonna leave a mark.
Yeah, I probably should have given a proper spoiler alert for that one. Some things can't be unseen.
It could have been worse. We could be referring to it as 'The George Costanza Couch Pose' album.

I'm still confused by the art direction and the lack of stockings on it, though. I mean it's the name of the album and the name of one of the tunes. Work with the material in front of you if you're gonna go all pervy about it!;)

Back
Top Bottom