Plays Porgy & Bess

Recorded (Los Angeles) 1959
Released (Verve LP) 1959
Remastered (Verve CD) 1993

Oscar Peterson (piano)
Ray Brown (bass)
Ed Thigpen (drums)

MI0002084239.jpg

Thanks, Gannon. :beerchug: I've been busy. We took a short vacation in Michigan where we almost got stuck there in an ice storm. :eek: Fortunately that didn't happen and we were just able to get out and make it back. On the plus side there were some nice music finds at two Goodwills and a record store, which I'll post here eventually. Otherwise lots to do at work.

I used to be into motorcycle touring. About 15 years ago, I was riding from Florida to the UP of Michigan. I was going to stop at Mackinaw Island and enjoy some time there. I left Florida in late August with a 98 degree temperature. Got to Toledo Ohio (just before crossing into Michigan) and the temp was 58 degrees. Got to just south of Flint Michigan and the temp had dropped to 32 degrees and it was sleeting. Freak cold snap in August. I was riding with my 4 way flashers on about 20 mph on I-75 in heavy sleet and people passing me were looking at me like "What's this NUT doing on a motorcycle in THIS weather?" I mean, come on, it's freaking AUGUST people.

Anyway, I had to pull off the road and I holed-up in Frankenmuth, Michigan for a week. The UP was having Ice and snow showers and temps were around freezing. I finally turned around and headed south. Darn shame, but that's the breaks you get going that far north. Still, it should have been lovely there, no near freezing. I just caught a freakish cold front. A week later it was 75 degrees. I got to know Frankenmuth really well in that extended stay. Dined on those family style chicken dinners at Zenders and Bavarian pastries for a week and put on about 10 lbs.

Last edited:
Thanks, Gannon. :beerchug: I've been busy. We took a short vacation in Michigan where we almost got stuck there in an ice storm. :eek: Fortunately that didn't happen and we were just able to get out and make it back. On the plus side there were some nice music finds at two Goodwills and a record store, which I'll post here eventually. Otherwise lots to do at work.

Totally understood, montrecott. Glad you guys were able to take a break and beat the weather. Looking forward to seeing what you purchased! :beerchug:

LARS GULLIN
1955/56 VOL 1 - WITH CHET BAKER
1953 VOL 2 - 'MODERN SOUNDS'
1954/55 VOL 3 - LATE SUMMER
1959/60 VOL 4 - STOCKHOLM STREET
1951/52 VOL 5 - FIRST WALK
1949-52 VOL 6 - THE SIDEMAN

This is an 11 volume series I found in a charity shop. I never heard of him before, but I figured if a label is putting out 11 volumes, he must have something going for him. Sounds a bit like Mulligan when playing baritone sax. Really enjoying it so far.

Ray

View attachment 1169391

Great find! I've recently been on the lookout for releases by Gullin, without much success. He's well-reviewed in The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD. Danny's Dream earns "Core Collection" status, and Modern Sounds and Stockholm Street also get a very high ratings.

CJRT Toronto (Big Band Show with Glen Woodcock) www.jazz.fm is featuring Les Elgart on his "Vinyl Corner" special now.

I actually Saw (Heard) Les Elgart's Big band when they came to my college in my Junior year (I think it was my junior year) and played our auditorium. Very few students showed but lots of locals from the surrounding area who at the time were in their 50s and 60s. I was there and enjoyed it very much.

Back
Top Bottom