IoXeKah.jpg

Ron Carter
Peg Leg

Recorded (Van Gelder Studio) 1977
Released (Milestone LP) 1978
Remastered (OJC/Milestone CD) 1978

Ron Carter (piccolo bass, bass, percussion); Kenny Barron (piano);
Jay Berliner (guitar); Buster Williams (bass); Ben Riley (drums, percussion);
Jerry Dodgion, George Marge, Walter Kane, Charles Russo (woodwinds)

51zpetbOILL.jpg

Charles Lloyd at Monterey ~ Forest Flower
Atlantic, 1967

20180422_153553.jpg

20180422_153650.jpg

YIKES! That Lloyd at Monterey looks absolutely pristine, Bob. My copy is Maybe VG at best. Yours looks like you just took it out of the factory seal.

Leave town for 36 hours to visit the granddaughters and this thread totally blows up. I had to dig back 12 pages to get back to when I was posting on Friday.

I've mentioned this here before, but it bears repeating...This is the first jazz album I ever bought. It was at the end of my senior year in HS and I picked it up at the Singer store where my mother worked. IIRC the price tag said $0.55. My copy still looks pretty nice, but there is the inevitable wear and tear from being lugged around with me for all these years.

Meh, I use it freely. SWMBO is just that. Might as well put it out there. But it's good you have laid the groundwork on your potential speakers.

Of all the speakers I have every purchased, I've actually been the happiest with my Infinity RS4 towers. These I got from eBay new in the mid to late 90s. They have rubber surrounds on the drivers rather than foam. A huge plus. Their performance has been incredible. WAY beyond what I had expected. My Klipsch are very nice, don't get me wrong, but those Infinity speakers have surprised so much I have to give them top rung.

Would love to have some Harbeth model 40.2 monitors heard at audio show, but at $17k+, my guess, not going to happen. Oh well.

With the great Victor Sproles on bass, and one of my favorite drummers, Vernel Fournier...

EDIT: Was just reading up on Fournier. I never knew he converted to Islam and changed his name to Amir Rushdan. I used to see him play at Barry Harris' Jazz Cultural Theatre in NYC.
That looks interesting,I'd like to find that one. Norman Simmons and Victor Sproles can also be heard on "Hyde Park After Dark" along with fellow Chicagoans Von Freeman,Clifford Jordan,Cy Touff,and Wilbur Campbell....

Loved VF. Very creative but appropriately simple when necessary (a la Jimmy Cobb). The "Poinciana" groove is so classic, everyone is copying it now.

And I did not know that last bit either!

I didn't know that either. Happy 100th CM.

Last spin of the night:

View attachment 1170275

GJ

Yeah, Fournier was a nice drummer. Just liked to sit back, relax, and swing. He and Israel Crosby were a real team.

By the way, in Mingus was born in 1922.

Last edited:
Spent a good chunk of today listening to WKCR’s Mingus 100th birthday tribute. Obviously heard lots of great music but learned a lot about Mingus and his career. Great show!

That's what I like best about terrestrial FM streaming with live on-air hosts. When they know their stuff and TALK about the artists and music they are playing. To me, that's the best.

Jeez, could have sworn they were saying 100th all day. Guess I wasn’t listening as well as I thought.

Ah, well, 96 / = 100. So what I didn't know was that I wasn't wrong? It's all too much for 6:30 AM. Makes me want to say, "Ah, Um."

GJ

I honestly didn't remember the exact year of his birth either. But I knew 1918 wasn't correct, so I checked.

Back
Top Bottom