Today's JAZZ playlist

The Crusaders - Scratch -

IMG_20180305_1930489.jpg

Eric needs a better copy....(cosmetically)

Isn't that the one that was Pink like calamine lotion......LOL

I've got that one on CD but wanted it on Vinyl. Well, I'm done with buying Vinyl for a long time. I think I got about 80 albums altogether from the three stores and the mail order. That's my quota until next Record Store Day.

The A & M Horizon jazz series were some really nice recordings, and pretty diverse stylistically as well. Their thin card stock album covers were well thought out as well. The cover folds out like a gatefold cover, but the opening for the record was on the inside at the spine of the cover. There is no way an album can slip out of those covers and get trashed. Another advantage was extra space for liner notes and photos. It turns out that the card stock and finish used on it is quite durable. I have several titles from this label, mostly purchased when they were released and all have held up really well the past 40 years.

Yeah, you're on a Duke Jordan roll. Good for you. The only time I got to see him was years ago when we walked in toward the end of Illinois Jacquet's last set at a club named Storyville on 58th St. off 5th Ave. (It later became Storytowne. I think I spelled it the way they did). Anyway, Duke Jordan was the pianist with the group. I remember Illinois encouraging Duke to lay down some chords, kind of like in a "give it to him" manner, during probably a solo guitarist Grey Sargent's was taking. I remember Duke looking up and smiling and laying down some big chords. We only caught a couple of songs, and man, they were swingin'! The drummer was a great guy named George "Dude" Brown who told me he was up from Washington D.C. He said he practiced all day. I got his and Illinois' autographs that night on a program from Jimmy Ryan's where we had been earlier that night. There autographs joined Count Basie's and Joe Williams, who had walked into Ryans unexpectedly (this was during the Newport Jazz festival either at the end of June or early July of 1977).

That recording of Duke you put up there of "Everything Happens To Me" was BEAUTIFUL. I'm going to listen to all your Duke Jordan clips.

Wow how fortunate you were to hear such...what is the right word here...gifted?!?...blessed?!?...wonderful musician in the flesh...to be there as he was playing...watching him and soaking all that musical ambience in...breath taking! I envy you...here i am miles away in Australia and you managed to be so close...envy...envy...

You just answered your own question, your exhausted. Yes, that's going to take some days to listen to them all. I still have about 10 washed albums I still have to spin, my recent purchases.

Went out to some thrift stores today, but didn't find anything. Our local library has a book sale starting today and going through the weekend. Went there this morning and found this interesting classical CD by Paul McCartney! Didn't know he made this! They didn't have any records. Was hoping to see some jazz cds, the library has a huge jazz cd collection! Probably were selling stuff that nobody has checked out in years.

https://www.discogs.com/Paul-McCartney-Paul-McCartneys-Liverpool-Oratorio/release/2571128

Thank you my friend.

One of the record stores I went to on RSD was amazing. The owner's wife actually meticulously washes EACH AND EVERY USED ALBUM she gets in her store and then plays them and listens to them to grade the playback. i.e., "Scratchy throughout." OR "Some surface scratches but plays perfectly". That's kind of nice. No guesswork. I can't imagine doing that for every used album that walks into the store. Talk about a supreme "MOM AND POP" operation.

Last edited:
The A & M Horizon jazz series were some really nice recordings, and pretty diverse stylistically as well. Their thin card stock album covers were well thought out as well. The cover folds out like a gatefold cover, but the opening for the record was on the inside at the spine of the cover. There is no way an album can slip out of those covers and get trashed. Another advantage was extra space for liner notes and photos. It turns out that the card stock and finish used on it is quite durable. I have several titles from this label, mostly purchased when they were released and all have held up really well the past 40 years.

Great synopsis. Thanks for posting that. :thumbsup:

Well, I cancelled my New York trip. I need some serious down time, and the thought of a blissful 3 day weekend out on the patio with my new Vinyl Jazz albums is too seductive to pass up.

Home at noon, and I'll be out on the patio relaxing the couch with Jazz in my ears in a New York Minute! :)

Last edited:
Thank you my friend.

One of the record stores I went to on RSD was amazing. The owner's wife actually meticulously washes EACH AND EVERY USED ALBUM she gets in her store and then plays them and listens to them to grade the playback. i.e., "Scratchy throughout." OR "Some surface scratches but plays perfectly". That's kind of nice. No guesswork. I can't imagine doing that for every used album that walks into the store. Talk about a supreme "MOM AND POP" operation.

Now that's what I call a record store! :thumbsup:

My record store that I go to, the price reflects the condition. I did find some $1 albums that when I washed them they sound very nice! I have to remember to look on the walls up by the ceiling because it's covered with albums. ;)

Well, I cancelled my New York trip. I need some serious down time, and the thought of a blissful 3 day weekend out on the patio with my new Vinyl Jazz albums is too seductive to pass up.

Home at noon, and I'll be out on the patio relaxing the couch with Jazz in my ears in a New York Minute! :)

Sounds like an excellent plan to me, my friend! :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom