Today's JAZZ playlist

6oEMg1Q.png

El Chapultepec Lounge!

There was a singer who recorded a live album or two there back in the 80's; sounded like a cross between Johnny Hartman and Freddie Cole? Ring any bells? His name escapes me, but I used to play those records on air a lot back then.

When I went out to visit my sister in Denver, I popped in one night, but it must have been an off night (nobody was playing).

Do you remember the singer? And-- Is that place still open?

GJ

Haven't been in quite awhile. As far as I know it's still there. It was a cool dive in the day, but the neighborhood has changed and so has the clientele. The one guy that you may be thinking of is James Van Buren. That's the only local singer I can think you are referring to in your question.

What a great idea! I recently found a very nice copy of this set and hadn't finished listening to it. I'm about to spin side four, a 20 minute version of Duke Ellington's In A Mellow Tone.

That is such a classic recording. I particularly love Jimmy Jones' solo on that. The way he builds that solo, and his inimitable way of playing. And the climax with those full chords is something else.

View attachment 1221691

Edit: Okay, this album is really growing on me. Probably around my third session listening to it and it just gets better everytime. Admittedly, I have had limited exposure to Monk, but it didn’t really grab me the first run through. Now half way though a third-ish pass it’s just jumping out at me and commanding my attention.

He is maybe less flashy and in your face than some other artists but his work has serious substance and at least for me it took a bit to realize how impactful his work really is. I am left with only one conclusion, Monk is the creeper-weed of Jazz?! :beatnik:

Cool that you are getting into Monk. Monk, IMO, was one of the great romantics. And one of Jazz's greatest composers.

Who was this kid, I wonder??

GJ

Hah! The very young Sugarchile Robinson performing "Caldonia". Priceless. Well I always said you gotta' love any movie that Van Johnson is in. ;)

And any movie that Sugarchile is in!

Anytime I think of Sugarchile, I will always think of how that was bassist Ted Sturgis' nickname for pianist Norman Simmons. (Ted had lot of nicknames for people). They were very good friends. My guess is that they met over at Jimmy Ryans in Manhattan, where Ted was the regular bassist, and Norman Simmons used to play frequently.

A funny story - Norman, Ted, and I used to play some tennis together, and Ted, who was an excellent semi-pro player, basically used to beat us all the time. He had this ball, that came right in - low - and you were looking right at it, and when you hit it, it stayed low, usually hitting the net! Anyway, when Ted got sick, Eddie Locke, Norman, and I went to see him at the hospice he was in, and Norman came in with his tennis racket, saying "I got you now!!"

And any movie that Sugarchile is in!

Anytime I think of Sugarchile, I will always think of how that was bassist Ted Sturgis' nickname for pianist Norman Simmons. (Ted had lot of nicknames for people). They were very good friends. My guess is that they met over at Jimmy Ryans in Manhattan, where Ted was the regular bassist, and Norman Simmons used to play frequently.

A funny story - Norman, Ted, and I used to play some tennis together, and Ted, who was an excellent semi-pro player, basically used to beat us all the time. He had this ball, that came right in - low - and you were looking right at it, and when you hit it, it stayed low, usually hitting the net! Anyway, when Ted got sick, Eddie Locke, Norman, and I went to see him at the hospice he was in, and Norman came in with his tennis racket, saying "I got you now!!"

Good stuff as usual JG. Glad you posted that.

Back
Top Bottom