Today's JAZZ playlist

The drummer is Harold "Doc" West. Nice swingin' drummer. The other guys, I'm thinking would be known to us, but I'm going to have to a little more digging to find out who they are. But actually, maybe @fuzzywobbles can give us an hand in that he's got the CD! From what I understand, the cover is a Frank Driggs photo.

Well, I told you I was going to do it and I did. I said to myself after reading your post, "Doc West! Of Course!" :)
I'm good at names. Not so good at the photos. @fuzzywobbles needs to assist on this one I think, unless you can really research it JG.

The drummer is Harold "Doc" West. Nice swingin' drummer. The other guys, I'm thinking would be known to us, but I'm going to have to a little more digging to find out who they are. But actually, maybe @fuzzywobbles can give us an hand in that he's got the CD! From what I understand, the cover is a Frank Driggs photo.

Well, I told you I was going to do it and I did. I said to myself after reading your post, "Doc West! Of Course!" :)
I'm good at names. Not so good at the photos. @fuzzywobbles needs to assist on this one I think, unless you can really research it JG.

Crap, just saw these posts. I leave in the am for 2 weeks on the road and the CD is at the office. Sorry but no help from me until I get back.

Crap, just saw these posts. I leave in the am for 2 weeks on the road and the CD is at the office. Sorry but no help from me until I get back.

No worries. It's not a matter of national security. It's just that Jazz-Inquiring-Minds want to know. :)

If we can't figure it out by the time you get back, you can help us out. @jgannon is really good at this and is a good Jazz researcher, so he may come up with the answers before your return.

I spent much of the day setting up my myriad of VARO WiFi speakers around my home. I now have streaming stereo in every room.

I also bailed out for a while to go see "Won't You Be My Neighbor" the Mr. Rogers documentary movie. Loved it.

Finally settling down for the evening.

Sinatra. Of course.

IMG_20180420_142411.jpg

How's that pressing? I've (only casually) noticed some in this thread disappointed with the LP version. I'm not a huge Coltrane fan (sacrilege, I know), but I find it intriguing and I've not yet heard it...

I am a heretic too. I can't seem to fully climb on the Coltrane. I even has the CD set in question, sitting, unopened, because of buyers remorse, because I know I won't listen to it very much and I had to put back stuff to buy it. I may pass it to my son.

IMG_20180728_215924.jpg
Duke Ellington, The Far East Suite

View attachment 1246099

Upgraded myself to an Ortofon Blue from the Red, this evening. BIG difference, loving the upgrade.
Ellington to "break it in", so to speak.

I was a skeptic on equipment breakin claims. Til an AT440 cart which was irritating until better part of 50 hours. That Blue should be very nice.

Last edited:
Billy, I know your penchant for streaming radio stations and I send a mea culpa if you're up on this one, but have you heard of Radio Swiss Jazz? Stumbled on it the other week. http://www.radioswissjazz.ch/en Just thought I'd send it along.

Hmmmm. It looks very familiar, but I don't remember listening. THANKS for sending it my way. I'll stream it tomorrow morning with Coffee to check it out. Tomorrow is Jazz-Streaming-Sunday, so the timing is perfect.

Mahalo!

I am a heretic too. I can't seem to fully climb on the Coltrane. I even has the CD set in question, sitting, unopened, because of buyers remorse, because I know I won't listen to it very much and I had to put back stuff to buy it. I may pass it to my son.

Different taste is what makes music so wonderful. If we all had the same taste, we'd all be listening to one genre, one band. The new Coltrane is not my absolute favorite of his discography, but I do like it very much. I have albums in my collection that I have not listened to since college, because my taste in Jazz has changed. Whatever you like, enjoy. What you don't, pass it on.

Back
Top Bottom