Today's JAZZ playlist

My pleasure JG. You deserve the praise. Your summation of Jazz is a skill set I admire.

Yep. We grew up in the same era in the same city, so we have similar tastes. I'm definitely on board with melodic music. I often think about what you mentioned about Trane (and others that passed so young) and what direction his music would have gone had he lived. We saw a glimpse of that with Miles and how he got into Jazz Funk as he branched out with age. Of course, what else would you do in the 70s with Disco being so big and hard Rock being blasted out of most kid's loudspeakers.

I happen to be listening now to the Ramsey Lewis show "Legends of Jazz", that iconic radio show from the 90s that WDCB in Chicago rebroadcasts every Sunday at Noon Central. And what did he begin his show with today? Trane's "Every Time We Say Goodbye". Too coincidental. Made me smile when Lewis announced he was going to open his show with that cut.

Thank again, Billy. Of course, there still was a lot of great music back then also.

Enjoy your streaming today!

All my stuff is packed up in that we're getting ready for the big move next week! YouTube is my only refuge at the moment, but we're pretty busy right now, so I haven't been doing a lot of listening.

P4046595.jpg

BLESSED QUIETNESS
A Collection of Hymns, Spirituals, and Carols
Cyrus Chestnut - solo piano

Atlantic Jazz

Thank again, Billy. Of course, there still was a lot of great music back then also.

Enjoy your streaming today!

All my stuff is packed up in that we're getting ready for the big move next week! YouTube is my only refuge at the moment, but we're pretty busy right now, so I haven't been doing a lot of listening.

Thanks, JG.

I am deep into the streaming mode. Sloth mode on the couch out on the patio.

Congrats on the upcoming new home! Before you know it, you'll be settled and winter will be outside your window.

Speaking of streaming, Jazz-Sunday-Streaming is here. My lineup;

Earlier this morning I checked out Radio Swiss Jazz Digital Stream. Very nice World Jazz.

Now on to the "LIVE" Jazz shows;

Now-Noon - Weekend Jazz with Alan Rock @WUCF
Noon-1 PM - Morning Jazz with Alan Hines @KCSM
1:00 - 3:00 - Legends of Jazz with Ramsey Lewis @WDCB
3:00 - 6:00 - Jazz Sunday with KC Jones and Jack Marchbanks @WCBE
6:00 - 9:00 - Big Band Jazz with Glen Woodcock @CJRT
9:00 - Midnight - Night Train Jazz with Ted Grossman @WLRN

Billy,
Joining you for CJRT,Big Band Show.
Until I cut away for last hour of actual TDF bike racing in Paris. Although know who one.

Billy,
Joining you for CJRT,Big Band Show.
Until I cut away for last hour of actual TDF bike racing in Paris. Although know who one.

I'm usually a HUGE fan of the TDF. That's typically my Super Bowl as an endurance athlete, and a Race Director of mulstipsort races. Missed it this year. Too busy to catch the first week, caught a few during the 2nd, and that was it.
The doping scandal in Cycling really didn't discourage me from the sport. That race and most professional cycling events are absolutely grueling. And MOST of the top performers were on the juice, so it was still basically a level playing field. These days, it's cleaned up, and I'm sorry I missed it. I'll definintely catch it next year.

Big Band Show is "Canadian Band Month" on CJRT, but that's OK. Nice change of pace hearing only Canadian Big Bands.

Interesting tape. Never remember seeing a Bell and Howell Magnetic Tape company commercial studio tape.
One of my best R2R machines happens to be a Bell and Howell. I used to take a lot of flak from guys when I said that. Yes, I have a few Sony machines and a TEAC, but the Bell and Howell is an amazing machine, although not very popular with Audiophiles.

Interesting tape. Never remember seeing a Bell and Howell Magnetic Tape company commercial studio tape.
One of my best R2R machines happens to be a Bell and Howell. I used to take a lot of flak from guys when I said that. Yes, I have a few Sony machines and a TEAC, but the Bell and Howell is an amazing machine, although not very popular with Audiophiles.
Their tape division started out as Stereotape, which manufactured tapes for many of the major labels. They changed the name to Bell and Howell Magnetic tape company and then to just "Magtec", which produced awesome recordings (highly sought after). Later, when the format was fading and no longer profitable, the division was sold to the Reel Society. I think they also made tapes in Britain under the Threshold moniker. Like Ampex, they also made decks, though I've never heard one.

Last edited:
Hey wow, thanks Billy! I'm just giving my impressions after years of listening. Regarding Trane, you know, I don't even know if I've even heard those very last things that he recorded.

I think there is kind of an unwritten, unconscious push, perhaps by people of our generation, but not everyone, to push the Coltrane quartet, when people are talking about trying to get into jazz, and to push the kind of jazz that followed. We grew up in the 60s and 70s when rock was "king". Music was loud. The whole psychedelic thing. Stretching out on a couple of chords. Trane got and DESERVED a mystique for taking jazz into a completely new direction, by all DIFFERENT people, but I think that a lot of people who maybe didn't know about the jazz that came before - I think of guys in my dorm at college ;) - getting high and listening to The Grateful Dead and Hot Tuna - being much more inclined to, when they heard it, digging Trane play modes and Elvin going at it on the drums, than Coleman Hawkins playing choruses on "Body and Soul".

What Tyner ushered in harmonically, drummers playing more harshly (not Elvin) and the line between jazz and rock drummers being continually blurred, more notes being played, etc - I think appealed to people of our generation, and that's PART of the reason why people, when they think of Trane, think of his later work, NOW.

God bless Trane for exploring his musical muse in the directions he did. He had no choice but to do that, as does any artist. Who knows where he would have gone musically, if had lived. But I don't necessarily think that Trane's later playing was more profound in an emotional sense, than what he did earlier. This doesn't mean it wasn't for others, of course. And it doesn't mean you can't be "sent" by both. You go to eastern cultures and what they get off on and improvise on, to me, is interesting, but I get tired of it. Zoning out, hearing a note drone on in the background, is not what I'm into. I guess the musicians are getting into their own trance-like state, as are the listeners, based on what is meaningful in their culture. That music appealed to George Harrison for instance. That was his soul, so to speak. For me, music like that is fascinating for showing another way to skin a cat, but it's not where I want to spend too much time.

Same thing with other music I've heard. There was an Egyptian singer named Umm Kulthum, who used to send her crowds into ecstasy, but what she was doing doesn't move me at all. Give me melodic music. That's what I'm about.

Again, all this just my two cents, and my opinion.
Ohhh yes i do like to listen to Umm Kulthum singing...but always in the right frame of mind...
Went through a big stage of listening to her singing...sometimes she just hits the spot...
Driving through heavy traffic in a large tonnage truck the weather cold and grey with possibilty of rain...every other driver has a grudge against me for some strange reason i cannot work out...heaps of O/T worked long hours clocked up...it's nearly the end of the week...clothes dirty...feeling grimey...last drop the fork lift driver just a massive ao...that was 5 hours ago...not in a very good mood and starting to feel hungry...park near the Oasis Bakery 10 minute drive around till i can squeeze the truck into a spot...yes!!!!
Now i go in for some food just hope the boss does'nt ring me to inquire about my stop...cranky mood...not in the mood to explain my decisions...
Walk in through the door on a mission! Warm air wafts across my face...smells of fresh cooking food fill my nostrils...salivia works its magic across my tongue...and then i hear it...
I hear a woman singing over their sound system...stops my world for a second...it's so different to the music i am so used to listening...outer world harmonies...
I ask who is singing...it's Umm Kulthum...i see the cds for sale...
I check the menu...
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...R_WEBSITE_JUNE_2018_2.pdf?5036129941491741853
order my Shawarma & salad...overlook ordering the baklava yum!...buy a Umm Kulthum cd as well..
I get back into my truck unwrap my shawarma take a bite...insert the cd...
Life is good! :)

Their tape division started out as Stereotape, which manufactured tapes for many of the major labels. They changed the name to Bell and Howell Magnetic tape company and then to just "Magtec", which produced awesome recordings (highly sought after). Later, when the format was fading and no longer profitable, the division was sold to the Reel Society. I think they made tapes in Britain under the Threshold moniker. Like Ampex, they also made decks, though I've never heard one.

Well, I have one of their decks. I'd snap a pic but I'm comfy on the couch. It's not hooked into any systems at present, just sitting in a spare room. Very well manufactured. I'd guess early 70s, although I can't pin that down exactly unless I research it and track the serial number. I usually say it's my favorite deck, but honestly, It's probably my 2nd favorite Deck. My TEAC being my first, only because I lusted after that TEAC for so long before I got it.

Back
Top Bottom