Today's JAZZ playlist

24/88.2 ALAC -
XrCbT7U.jpg

Quincy Jones --Jazz 'Round Midnight

View attachment 1247542

A Verve anthology drawn from a number of Mercury (and one Emarcy) big band albums from 1958 to 1964. A lot of big names sprinkled in there: among them, Harry Sweets Edison, Joe Newman, Ernie Royal, Frank Wess, Phil Woods, Zoot Sims, Clark Terry, Curtis Fuller, Jerome Richardson, Sahib Shihab, Jimmy Cleveland, Quentin Jackson, Melba Liston, Buddy Callett, Britt Woodman, Julius Watkins, Art Farmer, Lee Morgan, Al Grey, Roland Kirk, Al Cohn, James Moody . . . wait a minute -- Roland Kirk?! ;)

It doesn't really matter, but it seems kind of odd: as the notes indicate, none of this stuff was originally on Verve, but on Mercury, which was a separate company at the time, but Polygram, which now owns them both, decided to release it on Verve. Who knows why record companies do what they do?

IMG_20180730_214109.jpg
I've had mixed results buying unheard QJ albums. Do like this one I also have on vinyl. Big band Bossa music. And a Miles & Quincy, Live at Montreux where they play Miles works, If I remember right.

View attachment 1247636
I've had mixed results buying unheard QJ albums. Do like this one I also have on vinyl. Big band Bossa music. And a Miles & Quincy, Live at Montreux where they play Miles works, If I remember right.

There's one cut from that Big Band Bossa Nova album on the anthology. Between the anthology and Quincy Jones and His Orchestra at Newport 1961, that is the entirety of my Quincy Jones collection, and I've picked up both in the last 3 or 4 months. They're solid, if unspectacular; enjoyable, but not adventurous. I couldn't help thinking as I was listening to it that this could very well have been the kind of thing that Henry Mancini had in mind when he wrote the Peter Gunn music. ;)

I'm not trying to give it a back-handed compliment: I do like it, but probably only in limited doses. It does not, however, make me think to myself "I've just got to pick up more stuff from this guy if I run across anything!" But I'm slowing down and getting more selective in my CD and LP buying lately anyway, so that's probably at least part of the reason why . . .

Al Cohn - Play It Now (Xanadu)
View attachment 1247299
View attachment 1247298
Have fond memories playing this album when I was a teen. Every note is etched in my heart.

Love those Xanadu titles from the '70s and '80s...and how, in addition to releases from stars like Al Cohn and Art Pepper, they presented a bunch of talented under-the-radar artists. For every Jimmy Heath or Sonny Criss, they'd offer-up a Sam Noto or a Ronnie Cuber. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
There's one cut from that Big Band Bossa N on the anthology. Between the anthology and Quincy Jones and His Orchestra at Newport 1961, that is the entirety of my Quincy Jones collection, and I've picked up both in the last 3 or 4 months. They're solid, if unspectacular; enjoyable, but not adventurous. I couldn't help thinking as I was listening to it that this could very well have been the kind of thing that Henry Mancini had in mind when he wrote the Peter Gunn music. ;)

I'm not trying to give it a back-handed compliment: I do like it, but probably only in limited doses. It does not, however, make me think to myself "I've just got to pick up more stuff from this guy if I run across anything!" But I'm slowing down and getting more selective in my CD and LP buying lately anyway, so that's probably at least part of the reason why . . .

I think Quincy Jones, fine musician IMO, is best at making musicians he works with better, composing, arranging, and accompanying. Then again, most likely I'm all wet.

Back
Top Bottom