Today's JAZZ playlist

t0HbAOd.jpg

Whoops, there's a Paul Smith album, I'll have to keep an eye out for when hunting.

Great stuff today all.

Thanks for the props; I can tell you that the first Frank Morgan album (that I know about) is self-titled, came out in the late 40's/early 50's (prior to his imprisonment), and features members of Machito's band-- it is wonderful. I don't have an original/first pressing, but I do have a somewhat old French reissue that I'm very fond of. There is a GNP/Crescendo CD collection that has the same material with bonus/additional tunes too, iirc (I have that too). I recently picked-up one of his more recent albums, but it is a piano/sax duo context, featuring a number of well-known pianists-- it is lovely, but pretty much all ballads and even though it's under Frank's name, it is more of a "piano with very occasional sax interlude" record. Just a heads-up.

As to the Frank Sinatra version of "...Carnaval/Black Orpheus," I had no idea, so thanks JG!

GJ

Great stuff today all.

Thanks for the props; I can tell you that the first Frank Morgan album (that I know about) is self-titled, came out in the late 40's/early 50's (prior to his imprisonment), and features members of Machito's band-- it is wonderful. I don't have an original/first pressing, but I do have a somewhat old French reissue that I'm very fond of. There is a GNP/Crescendo CD collection that has the same material with bonus/additional tunes too, iirc (I have that too). I recently picked-up one of his more recent albums, but it is a piano/sax duo context, featuring a number of well-known pianists-- it is lovely, but pretty much all ballads and even though it's under Frank's name, it is more of a "piano with very occasional sax interlude" record. Just a heads-up.

As to the Frank Sinatra version of "...Carnaval/Black Orpheus," I had no idea, so thanks JG!

GJ
I want to hear as much as I can, either streaming or otherwise. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom