Today's SOUL Playlist

Jean Carne - Happy to Be With You 1978

index.php

Good Evening Mate....

You know the more I see your 1200/1210, the more I am going to ask questions about it.

Because I'm getting ready to finally get mine going.

Now..... about your phono setup in general, what phono preamp (or integrated, preamp, or receiver) is your 1200/1210 connected to? And what phono cart are you using?

Did you install your cart yourself?? And if so, you also have a protractor??

Sorry for all the questions (hehehehehe)....

--Charles--

Last edited:
Good Evening Mate....

You know the more I see your 1200/1210, the more I am going to ask questions about it.

Because I'm getting ready to finally get mine going.

Now..... about your phono setup in general, what phono preamp (or integrated or preamp) is your 1200/1210 connected to? And what phono cart are you using?

Did you install your cart yourself?? And if so, you also have a protractor??

Sorry for all the questions (hehehehehe)....

--Charles--
G'day Charles up until a couple of days ago the 1210 was just hooked up to my yamaha c50 pre amp phono section which was good,i just bought a schiit mani phono pre and it is now hooked up to that,i'm running a denon 301 mrk2 MC cartridge with it,and it's sounding really good,the schiit mani can do both MM & MC carts.
I didn't install the cart myself as i'm not sure of how to set them up, i got somebody to do that for me who is skilled at it,i didn't want to spend $400 Australian on the denon and then have myself damage it trying to set it up,having said that when i got the cart set up at the same time i had moderations done to the turntable also so it was a no brainer to get the cart done at the same time.

Is that your new phono cartridge in your new picture??

--Charles--

Yes, that's my Audio Technica VM540ML cartridge that I have mounted on my Thorens/ SME 3009 arm. Just mounted my Grado ME+ mono cartridge to my Technics SL-B3 turntable today! The groove noise is so much less because your only hearing the horizontal movement of the stylus! Has very good bass, full and rich sounding! Grado cartridges can hum on some turntables. It did hum a bit on my SL-1650, so I mounted it on my SL-B3 and it doesn't hum at all! Listening to Jazz right now!

Yes, that's my Audio Technica VM540ML cartridge that I have mounted on my Thorens/ SME 3009 arm. Just mounted my Grado ME+ mono cartridge to my Technics SL-B3 turntable today! The groove noise is so much less because your only hearing the horizontal movement of the stylus! Has very good bass, full and rich sounding! Grado cartridges can hum on some turntables. It did hum a bit on my SL-1650, so I mounted it on my SL-B3 and it doesn't hum at all! Listening to Jazz right now!

And when did you get a Technics SL-B3??

I remember these....

My cousin had a Technics SL-B1 back in the late 1970's.

--Charles--

G'day Charles up until a couple of days ago the 1210 was just hooked up to my yamaha c50 pre amp phono section which was good,i just bought a schiit mani phono pre and it is now hooked up to that,i'm running a denon 301 mrk2 MC cartridge with it,and it's sounding really good,the schiit mani can do both MM & MC carts.
I didn't install the cart myself as i'm not sure of how to set them up, i got somebody to do that for me who is skilled at it,i didn't want to spend $400 Australian on the denon and then have myself damage it trying to set it up,having said that when i got the cart set up at the same time i had moderations done to the turntable also so it was a no brainer to get the cart done at the same time.

I got a Schiit Mani too.....

When I get the Technics straight, I'm going to hook it my Schiit Mani (into an NAD 3140).

How do you like the Schiit Mani so far?

--Charles--

And when did you get a Technics SL-B3??

I remember these....

My cousin had a Technics SL-B1 back in the late 1970's.

--Charles--

Actually I bought the SL-B3 in 1980. Then somewhere in a move I got rid of it. Then some years ago I found another SL-B3 at a thrift store! It's like my old friend is back! It's a very nice sounding belt drive turntable, fully automatic. Your cousin's SL-B1 is the fully manual model. SL-B2 is the semi-automatic.

Is your 1650 Belt-Drive or Direct-Drive??

Because it might be the motor under the platter in your 1650 is mounted directly under it??

Your SL-B3 is belt-driven, and maybe because the motor is further isolated from the platter, and it is turned by a pulley and a belt with the motor in further isolation??

Could that be it??

--Charles--

When I get the Technics straight, I'm going to hook it my Schiit Mani (into an NAD 3140).

--Charles--

Charles, the built-in phono section of the NAD 3140 is very good!! It just might be better than the Schitt Mani! You'll have to experiment and find out!

--Charles--
this is only the 2nd time i've had it running i got it tuesday, messed around with the settings a bit,i have it on load 47 and gain 1 at high and gain 2 at low which seems to be working well with the denon MC cart.my first impressions are good,it sounds more detailed and there's a bit more bottom end.

Last edited:
Actually I bought the SL-B3 in 1980. Then somewhere in a move I got rid of it. Then some years ago I found another SL-B3 at a thrift store! It's like my old friend is back! It's a very nice sounding belt drive turntable, fully automatic. Your cousin's SL-B1 is the fully manual model. SL-B2 is the semi-automatic.

That's right..... The Technics SL-B1 was a manual turntable....

But LORD, that little table was a HONEY...... Simplistic in operation. One of the first good turntables I gotten the privilege to touch.

The cue lever operated smooth as SILK....

Very musical in the mids and highs, with powerful tight bottom end.

I think your SL-B3 has the same sound, but like you said, your SL-B3 is fully automatic.

--Charles--

Charles, the built-in phono section of the NAD 3140 is very good!! It just might be better than the Schitt Mani! You'll have to experiment and find out!

I plan to do just that.

If I like the phono stage of the NAD better, I am going to put the Schiit Mani up for sale.

You're not the first one to say that though.

Someone else also said that the NAD has a better phono stage.

--Charles--

Is your 1650 Belt-Drive or Direct-Drive??

Because it might be the motor under the platter in your 1650 is mounted directly under it??

Your SL-B3 is belt-driven, and maybe because the motor is further isolated from the platter, and it is turned by a pulley and a belt with the motor in further isolation??

Could that be it??

--Charles--

Yes, the SL-1650 is direct drive. Has a big magnet underneath the platter that moves the platter around. Nothing is touching the platter underneath, it's the magnet attached to the motor rotor that moves the platter. So, that is probably why it hums. The humming is not bad!! It doesn't interfere with the music, just a slight soft hum at the end of the last track. Can live with that but I wanted to use the SL-B3, that way I'm not always changing out headshells and adjusting tracking forces! Works great with the SL-B3 in rotation with the mono albums! The SL-B3 has a DC motor with the Grado does the best with, not good with an AC motor, will hum with that most of the time.

Oh..... I understand.....

--Charles--

Back
Top Bottom