1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Tom 'Mongoo$e' McEwen

Discussion in 'Wheels, Wings, Mud, and Water' started by exhippy, Jun 12, 2018.

1. exhippy

exhippy I use to have long hair. Now I'm lucky to have any Subscriber

I'm sure you ol' time drag race fans have heard by now that Tom McEwen has passed-away at the age of 81.

The lights have staged and in a blink of an eye Tom has taken that last quarter mile run to biggest drag meet in the sky...

Rest in Peace Tom!

about_tom.jpg

8677ff88f167a28ed7a6bfc4b6d43c74.jpg
    9518317ad55bef42bad9818fb15ae43d.jpg

I was given this set when I was eleven years old in 1970.

MaxxVolume and Cactus Bob like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. exhippy

3. exhippy

No drag race fans on Audiokarma.
    Not surprised...

4. lokerola

lokerola AK Subscriber Subscriber

RIP Mongoose.

To quote William Wallace - "Every man dies. Not every man lives". Mongoose looks like he lived a full and interesting life.

I was never a huge drag racing fan, but I always loved the look of the funny cars. I did go to an NHRA race a few years ago. It was cool to get up-close with the teams and cars. They're much more accessible than pro teams in other sports. And nothing like a mutli-thousand horsepower dragster thundering by!

604man and exhippy like this.
  5. kickitagain

kickitagain Member

Hey,we're here! Sad news,but I never was one of his fans. Loved the ASSASSINATION funny car out in Colorado.

exhippy likes this.
  6. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob Desert Rat Subscriber

Saw the "Mongoose" many times at Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove, WI in the 70's running against Don "The Snake" Prudhomme, good times. RIP

[​IMG]

spicer, lokerola, John James and 4 others like this.

7. Eric n Kc

Eric n Kc AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey
    Oh no we're here.
    I never seen him race although I seem to remember his and snakes cars on display at Indy (the big go) . The cars on display are worth the price of admission.
    RIP . Eric

exhippy likes this.
  8. exhippy

I understand, Tom rubbed a lot of people the wrong way over his years as a racer.

9. jcamero

jcamero Wake Up to Find Out Subscriber

I got to see him race in the Hot Wheels car, (red one). Tom and the "Snake" were a good crowd draw. That was when drivers actually drove their cars and not "peddled" them.

exhippy likes this.
  10. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

One of the biggest names in the history of Funny Cars. Gone but not forgotten.

exhippy likes this.
  11. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

All the pro categories are heads-up, first to cross wins. They only "pedal" when they lose traction and are trying to get it back.

exhippy likes this.

12. kickitagain

kickitagain Member

Yeah, but he wasn't the only one. It was a tough way to make a living. He survived in a cut throat business for a long time. Gotta give him credit for that.

exhippy likes this.
  13. jbailey930

jbailey930 AK Member Subscriber

RIP. Had the Hot Wheels track and matchbox cars. Built some funny car models. I preferred Tom over Don on those Wide World of Sports Saturday 1/4 milers.

exhippy likes this.
  14. ETLS

ETLS metacarpophalangealcranium Subscriber

RIP

exhippy likes this.
  15. Eric n Kc

Eric n Kc AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey
    Checking out the pictures posted. You see the cowboy boots he's wearing? Old school for sure. Gotta love that.Eric

exhippy likes this.
  16. bigstereo

bigstereo Super Member

I remember those guys well. I built a model of one of "Grumpys Toys" (Bill Jenkins) when I was a kid.
    Going to the Summit Racing NHRA Nationals down in Ohio in a couple weeks with a bud from work.

exhippy likes this.

17. exhippy

Speaking of Grumpy's Toy. His 1972 'winning' Vega was stolen outside of St. Louis.

At Gateway International Raceway in 1973. The drag strip sits across from downtown St. Louis, MO and the Mississippi River.

On August 4, '73 while Grumpy was eating breakfast at the Roundtable Restaurant in Collinsville, IL on IL 157. The car was taken off the open trailer along with $50K in parts (probably in the truck.) The cops (probably a farmer.) found what was left of the Vega in a field. The engine & transmission where no where to be found (among other things!)

Grumpy was pissed! ...said he'd never come back.

c341ea6c4d0977f156c57ab168bdcc72.jpg
    grump_vega.jpg

18. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume AK Subscriber Subscriber

I remember that quite vividly....shortly after that incident, a new contender mysteriously appeared on the street racing circuit down in Newark, NJ....a Pro-Street\Pro-Stock Vega wagon that nobody had seen before was all of a sudden making big noise and putting a serious ass-whipping on much of the local competition. Rumors sprung up that Grumpy`s missing engine might have traveled east, and been resurrected in this new car.

Tons of fast cars around back then, even ex-race cars from the likes of Sox & Martin, and Holman & Moody. Those were exciting, spontaneous times....nothing like the staged crap you see on "Street Outlaws".

Anyway, back on topic, RIP Tom, you were a legend !

exhippy likes this.
  19. y2keglide

y2keglide Well-Known Member

There's a few I'm sure,RIP Tom McEwen ! Long time fan and hot rodder here my friend.
    I'm 61 years old and have a built Camaro in the garage for the weekends.
    I like to say I'm still pretty fast for an old man,I rip gears with a 6 speed stick.:beerchug:

010.JPG

exhippy likes this.
  20. y2keglide

y2keglide Well-Known Member

Grumpy's '68 Camaro belongs to a member of a Camaro page I'm on in Facebook,nice to see it restored and kept in fine shape as the historic icon that it is.

gt.jpg

exhippy likes this.