1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Tonar Stylus manufacturer

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by Harvey/ Ga, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Harvey/ Ga

Harvey/ Ga AK Subscriber Subscriber

Anyone know about Tonar styli and how that compare to JICO and the P??? maker??

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Thunderbox

Thunderbox Well-Known Member

I have purchased many Tonar styli and have considered them a pretty good product.

3. Montycat

Montycat AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've only bought one and it sucked.

4. Van_Isle

Van_Isle AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've had Tonar Stanton, Pickering, Andante, Shure (m91ed) ... perhaps a couple others and they've all been fine. Some might be made by Nagaoka (Tonar certainly has a relationship with them) ... or provided by Nagaoka and probably sourced from Jico. I haven't seen anything on any of the Tonar styli I've had to indicate manufacture anyplace other than Japan (i.e. dark blue/black hash mark on the cantilever on all of them ... AFAIK you don't see that with the Swiss made ... and just generally otherwise in terms of the cantilever and mounting configuration).

Jelloalien1 and 91r100gs like this.
  5. Fleischer

Fleischer Active Member

Have only used their replacement stylus for Shure V15 Type III and have been very happy with its performance.

6. marcmorin

marcmorin AK Subscriber Subscriber

In the ones that i've had for the shure M91, I rank them above the EVG, but below the JICO and original Shure. However, having said that, there's always the repackers selling a brand name box with whatever they put in the box. JICO now puts their name on the brass piece for Shure styli, not sure about other styli.

7. jgscisum

jgscisum Active Member

I have had very good luck with Tonar. Used them on Ortofon, Shure and ADC.

8. johnjhazel

johnjhazel PhxJohn Subscriber

9. 91r100gs

91r100gs AK Subscriber Subscriber

Had a Tonar for a Red Ed/Goldring Elektra/Music Hall Tracker. It was excellent. The seller said it was made by Nagaoka.

10. Harvey/ Ga

Harvey/ Ga AK Subscriber Subscriber

Many thanks Y'all,for the replies. guess that I'll try one for my Stanton 727

11. Jelloalien1

Jelloalien1 Active Member

I sell Tonar and the majority (elliptical and exotics) are sourced by Jico. They do a lot of dealings with nagaoka as well.....I’m bias but I’ve always found their products to be very good quality

12. sanlanman

sanlanman Active Member

I bought a red Empire S400LTD replacement by Tonar off eBay and it sounds great in my 400TC cartridge. Enough so, that I am ordering 2 more from Jelloalien in Canada. This one did not have the JICO black dot on the cantilever, so I suspect it is either Nagaoka sourced or Phanstiehl sourced. Anyway it sounds good.

Jelloalien1 likes this.
  13. chaz

chaz AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've bought a couple Tonar styli from Jelloalien they sound great.

Jelloalien1 likes this.