Top Ten Cool Things about Vintage Hi-Fi

birchoak

Hi-Fi Nut
Feel free to amend/append this list!

1) You can enjoy it all day long, in any weather, at any time. Unlike skiing (just a random example--I have nothing against skiing), the actual amount of time you get to use hi-fi gear is virtually unlimited in comparison, especially if you have headphones.

2) Variety is the spice of life, and there is so much incredible music out there to play on your gear, both known and unknown. Classical, jazz, blues, hip hop, classic rock, alternative rock, electronic, folk, country, rap, heavy metal--Sinatra! Dylan! Nancy Sinatra! Fred Dylan! (I made that one up).

3) The outright physical beauty of so much vintage hi-fi, e.g. that aqua Marantz lighting, glowing out under its walnut case. Big VU meters that dance to the music. Oversized receivers bristling with heat fins, dials, and knobs. Thick, engraved face plates with real glass. Solid aluminum knobs. Beautiful displays, all so different and in so many colors.

4) Bringing it back to life, because sometimes it can be done with a handful of parts costing less than dinner out, or with a can of cleaning spray, a new fuse, a soldering iron, or by installing the PRE/MAIN jumpers.

5) Cost effective if you can educate yourself. There is good equipment on Craigslist if you are willing to brave the general public, especially speakers. With advice from the great people here at AK you can assemble a very nice system for a fraction of a new one from Crutchfield, Best Buy, etc. Many modest, low-watt amps and receivers sound much better and more powerful than their indicated ratings and can be had for reasonable prices.

6) There is a strong community here at AK to support/encourage/enable? you in this pursuit, whether you don't understand Yamaha's variable loudness or need to recap a Marantz 2230.

7) Every time you buy a vintage piece, you are inheriting a time capsule, a snaphot of the state of the art in 19xx, and saving something from the trash heap. No one will ever build another Kenwood 600, a Sansui Eight, or a Technics SL-10, but we can keep them alive with a bit of ingenuity & determination.

8) You may learn something about electronics along the way. When I started this hobby, time ago, I had absolutely no idea what a capacitor was, nor AC vs. DC, nor how to solder. I still have a long way to go, but I learned enough to repair a cold solder joint in a dishwasher and replace a capacitor in our fridge, saving our family lots of money. I make mistakes, lots, but those hours spent over PCBs gave me back a lot more than surfing the net or trying to understand the plot of Lost.

9) The hunt. This might not be a cool thing for some, but searching for gear speaks to the hunter/gatherer in me (that's my story and I'm sticking to it). I might not even buy something, but I do enjoy looking, and while that big auction site has its drawbacks, it does have millions of intriguing things on it, 24/7.

10) Cleaning stuff up. When you do get that new tt, amp, pair of speakers, etc., half the fun is opening it up and seeing how it was built, the condition it's in. I sort of look forward to dust and cat hair because I enjoy cleaning and polishing things. There is nothing like popping a filthy aluminum face plate in a sudsy bath and seeing it clean and shiny again, in minutes, or hearing a volume pot go from horribly scratchy to completely silent. You have the power to transform something filthy and unusable to something beautiful and operable, sometimes within the span of hours.

Kind of cool using gear that is vintage yet sounds better than a lot of the stuff you hear in the highfalutin audio stores. I was only about 5 or so when my Mac mono blocks were built and I'm silver faced myself.
I even like my digital vintage, Parasound DAC from the early 90's sounds better than a lot of the newer DAC's until you get into some big money.
My Altec's only date from about 1971 but the pedigree goes way way back.

So I would say that number 11 is: Better sound for a lot less money.

BillWojo

1. Unlike golf, I get to pick the 'scores' of my choosing. (Pun intended)
2. My vintage equipment helps to warm my listening room in the winter. My golf clubs just reminds me that I live where it's not realistic to golf all 12 months of the year.
3, It's the only hobby I have that pays for itself.

Mark

Respectfully - You missed the #1 reason why vintage hi-fi is better: VINTAGE EQUIPMENT HAS NO SOFTWARE.

I’ve been helping friends with their new hi-fi gear, and we’re all about at the end of our rope.

Here’s the background: Their nephew gave them a collection of “Game of Thrones” discs. Problem: The discs are Blu-ray, and my friends didn’t have a Blu-ray player.

Next problem, my friends old Onkyo receiver has only red and white RCA analog inputs. No HDMI. No coax digital audio input. No Toslink.

Next problem, there are very few Blu-ray players available today that have analog audio outputs, and AFAIK they start at $500. (I own multiple Oppo units, and I use tube amps – but that’s not an option for my older friends. They won’t buy used gear, or spend a lot of money.)

I figured out it's about the same price to get a new Sony UBP-X700 disc player and an Onkyo TX-8270 2.1 channel AVR, vs. getting a new disc player with analog audio outputs. (IIRC I helped him find on Amazon the Sony disc player for $150, and an “open box” Onkyo TX-8270 for $300. Free shipping on both.)

I get it all hooked up via HDMI (the cables weren’t included), and update the firmware in the Onkyo, and on Day One I have their cable TV and discs (CD, DVD, Blu-ray) working. I couldn’t get Tunein internet radio working, but we agreed that I’d get that working on another day.

On Day One I get a call at 10:00 PM. They’re trying to watch a movie and they’re stuck. The screen is saying something about an upgrade. I talk them through it. (I had already updated the F-ing software – but whatever ….)

On Day 2 (today), they’re stuck again. They’re telling me that they’re being presented with the screen - for the second time – about allowing Onkyo to monitor their network usage … and then something about a software update. This ain’t getting fixed over the phone. I go to their house, and I am being forced to update the software in the Onkyo again – but the process keeps failing. The amp refuses to function at all – it’s stuck on the update screen. I unplug the Onkyo and plug it back in, and I’m still stuck at the update screen, and the update keeps failing. After more than an hour, I get it working. They were only getting 50% wi-fi signal strength – which was one of the problems. I fiddled with the Onkyo antennas, and got it up to 60%, and got it working. Now, after more than an hour, we’re back to the point where they can watch cable TV, and discs. (They’re writing notes on a blue line pad about how to operate everything.) And - I now have Tunein radio working (which they love).

However … now the Sony disc player wants its software updated, but the update process fails. (Though the player works OK.) My friends were exhausted, and we decided that’s a battle for another day.

Also - I made a tactical error when I was at their house today. I plugged into their Onkyo TX-8270 a USB drive that contains some FLAC music files, just to show them this cool capability. It worked – and they liked this capability - but the problem is that years ago they “drank the Apple Koolaid” and have an iPod with a bunch of low-quality-crap recordings, and they are asking a perfectly reasonable question: Why can’t they play these old recordings on their new system? They have a USB drive that they use to back up their PC …and they think their music is on the PC - but of course when you plug their USB drive into the Onkyo, their music doesn’t appear. I’ll probably tell them that while anything is possible, it’s probably not worth the effort to retrieve these recordings.

Re their hundreds of CDs – while in theory they could copy them all to a hard drive, there’s no way they’ll waste their time doing this.

I’ve suggested they can subscribe to Spotify Premium for $10 per month, and have access to all of their old music, plus millions of more recordings. However, because this is not 100% reliable, it will undoubtedly lead to more headaches. (And they don’t want to spend $10 / month.)

For now, I’ve suggested they keep dropping discs (CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray) into the tray and hitting the Play button. (Which is what I usually do.)

Next step – they want a bigger TV. Problem: I don’t know if you can buy a TV that isn’t a “smart TV”. So - here we go again – not only getting it installed – and the software updated – and me figuring out how to get it working – but also them trying to write detailed notes on a Big Chief notebook pad about each button push required to make everything work.

Bottom line, I will undoubtedly have to make several more trips to continue to help them get their new AV system working.

When I got home, I needed a cocktail … in case you can’t tell …

So – to answer your question – the #1 reason that vintage hi-fi is better is that it has NO SOFTWARE.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom