Topping D30 or another DAC with budget of $500?

An update: I just ordered Topping D30 from Parts Express. I figured that for $120 I can give it a try. If I do not like it, I can sell it and move up the chain to a D50 or something else. First, I will have to test the difference between my current $20 DAC and D30 to see if I can even hear any improvement as my ears are not what they used to be.

An update: I just ordered Topping D30 from Parts Express. I figured that for $120 I can give it a try. If I do not like it, I can sell it and move up the chain to a D50 or something else. First, I will have to test the difference between my current $20 DAC and D30 to see if I can even hear any improvement as my ears are not what they used to be.

Massdrop is cheaper but If you don't like it PE will refund your money.

I know about Massdrop but their estimated ship date is May 30th. That's more than a month from now. I like to be able to play with the new DAC earlier than that. :) Plus I was able to use a coupon to drop the PE price down to $115. That's only $10 more than Massdrop and I can get it quicker.

I should have said I prefer it as that's my only choice.
No question there! :)

I was sharing my experience and that of others concerning its added overhead to the S/PDIF standard. Before moving to a server based solution, I used a couple of diffferent Pioneer transports which offered both Toslink and coaxial.

I've still got a pretty nice DH Labs optical cable from those days if you're interested. I'll be happy to send it to you. I upgraded the op amps from a Music Hall DAC recently and sent another AKer the originals. I'd rather someone get benefit from stuff I no longer use.

No question there! :)

I was sharing my experience and that of others concerning its added overhead to the S/PDIF standard. Before moving to a server based solution, I used a couple of diffferent Pioneer transports which offered both Toslink and coaxial.

I've still got a pretty nice DH Labs optical cable from those days if you're interested. I'll be happy to send it to you. I upgraded the op amps from a Music Hall DAC recently and sent another AKer the originals. I'd rather someone get benefit from stuff I no longer use.

Although I don't need your hand me downs I commend you on a more positive post.

Usb input may be better in theory, but it's more difficult to implement, IME cheap dacs sound better on spidf.
There's definitely some hum on my D30, but becomes dead silent once usb cable is removed. I cut the black and red wire, and it seems better, but there's still a bit of hum with no music playing and volume up.
My dac is a later revision with some chinese Capxons in place of the Elnas..

Massdrop is dropping Matrix Quattro II for $499.99. Not too many reviews unfortunately but Matrix Audio makes quality stuff, a step up from Topping IMO.
That is a DAC that has built quite a bit of interest. At the Massdrop price it has a lot of features. No MQA though.

Back
Top Bottom