Topping D30 or another DAC with budget of $500?

Massdrop is dropping Matrix Quattro II for $499.99. Not too many reviews unfortunately but Matrix Audio makes quality stuff, a step up from Topping IMO.

I'm glad I didn't see this when it was live! looks really nice and has a volume knob. I like my irdac-ii but do wish it had a knob. since I never use Bluetooth, this looks like a no-loss-of-function-to-me upgrade at a good price.

But I don't need to spend 500 on it!

I'm glad I didn't see this when it was live! looks really nice and has a volume knob. I like my irdac-ii but do wish it had a knob. since I never use Bluetooth, this looks like a no-loss-of-function-to-me upgrade at a good price.

But I don't need to spend 500 on it!

How about no loss of unused function for $100 less? https://www.massdrop.com/buy/matrix-mini-i-pro-2-dac-amp :)
The Quatro looked nicer though. Matrix isn't a well recognized brand, probably will depreciate pretty fast. They do make quality stuff it seems.

How about no loss of unused function for $100 less? https://www.massdrop.com/buy/matrix-mini-i-pro-2-dac-amp :)
The Quatro looked nicer though. Matrix isn't a well recognized brand, probably will depreciate pretty fast. They do make quality stuff it seems.

10 ohm output impedance on the headphone jack, though. Oh, and single coax and fiber inputs also.
I'll just have to live without a rotary knob and with the extra cash. : )

Obviously the other piece is the improved analog I/o - no analog in on the irdac, but that's not a deal breaker for me the way the headphone impedance is

Last edited:
Massdrop's got the Quattro II available again. Looking more closely, I don't think that it has an analog in, I think the AES in is actually a digital input?

Also, the reviews I'm seeing are lukewarm on the headphone stage. My use is probably 60% cans, 40% speakers.

But, if you sign up in the next three days, the price is good. 100 more than I paid for my Arcam, but I got a surprisingly good deal on that.

Picked up a Topping D30 for my living room system, which has an old Sony multi disc SACD player. It really is a significant improvement. Especially hearing it through my Infinity RS4bs.

The icing on the cake for me aside from the sound is that with the proper cable, it works using my IPhone as a digital source

My Topping D30 arrived yesterday, I find it a little bright. With tubes and warmer speakers it may be a different story.

My Topping D30 arrived yesterday, I find it a little bright. With tubes and warmer speakers it may be a different story.
You might try replacing the inherently noisy SMPS with a linear. It also lends itself to upgrading the op amps with FET modules.

I wonder what driver version are you guys using in your D30 in windows 10. I'm using the first version of the driver wich i find is great. Does anyone are using the latest driver version of the xmos software? Is there any improvements?

Back
Top Bottom