Topping DX3Pro

Last day of the drop so I ordered a DX3 Pro in silver. If it out performs my D30 I'll be ecstatic and I think it may.
Is it worth parting with the D30 to get this, you think?

I would probably be paying higher shipping costs to NZ, thats a factor for me.

Good to know the PS requirements are the same as the D30 as I built a new PS for my D30 after the cheapo one died.....

Yes. It's difficult for me to critically listen to the DX3 as I get so wrapped up in the music. I don't recall that being the case with the D30. I have yet to figure out all the DX3's features and so far I'm just using it as a straight DAC. Miles Davis's horn in Kind of Blue has always sounded a bit ragged and there's a noticeable error on one cut but I'm not hearing any of that with the DX3. I have no clue how it smooths out the imperfections without masking detail but it does. I listen to lots of piano jazz and it's difficult for a source to get it right. Well the DX3 nails all the over tones, sense of scale and with incredible decay. My Fostex Frugal Horns are highly revealing and I am surprised that with the DX3 there's not a speck of digital glare. That's my name for the source of fatigue that comes with long listening sessions. If you already have a D30 there's no ear break-in required for the DX3. It sounds similar but smoother and more refined. I considered the costlier DX7 but glad I went with the DX3 as I don't need balanced outputs. The operation and other features of the older DX7 are said to be identical even down to the same remote. With a $25 credit I paid $150 for the DX3 shipped and I can't imagine getting better performance for that amount of money. I'm not sure how much you'd spend to do better and "better" just might turn out to be an exercise in hair splitting. IMO there's absolutely no need to spend big bucks on a DAC as the technology is advancing so rapidly and the prices are dropping while the sound is improving with each new model.

Last edited:
This morning I was able to A/B the DX3 Pro with my Rotel RCD-855 CDP. The Rotel features the highly regarded Phillips TDA 1541A D/A converter which is known for it's warm analog sound. The older CDP's with this chip set are sought after and can still command high prices. Switching between the Rotel's analog outputs straight into the amp and it's coax output into the DX3 I much preferred the latter and it was not even close. Here's more information on the TDA 1541A players.

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/history_of_the_Philips_tda_d_a_converter/

Yes. It's difficult for me to critically listen to the DX3 as I get so wrapped up in the music. I don't recall that being the case with the D30. I have yet to figure out all the DX3's features and so far I'm just using it as a straight DAC. Miles Davis's horn in Kind of Blue has always sounded a bit ragged and there's a noticeable error on one cut but I'm not hearing any of that with the DX3. I have no clue how it smooths out the imperfections without masking detail but it does. I listen to lots of piano jazz and it's difficult for a source to get it right. Well the DX3 nails all the over tones, sense of scale and with incredible decay. My Fostex Frugal Horns are highly revealing and I am surprised that with the DX3 there's not a speck of digital glare. That's my name for the source of fatigue that comes with long listening sessions. If you already have a D30 there's no ear break-in required for the DX3. It sounds similar but smoother and more refined. I considered the costlier DX7 but glad I went with the DX3 as I don't need balanced outputs. The operation and other features of the older DX7 are said to be identical even down to the same remote. With a $25 credit I paid $150 for the DX3 shipped and I can't imagine getting better performance for that amount of money. I'm not sure how much you'd spend to do better and "better" just might turn out to be an exercise in hair splitting. IMO there's absolutely no need to spend big bucks on a DAC as the technology is advancing so rapidly and the prices are dropping while the sound is improving with each new model.
Damn... the DX3 Pro seems mighty impressive for the price. Looks like it's pretty much unbeatble in the price range. Is it one of dem upsampling DAC? I have no idea how upsampled sounds versus passthrough of 44.1kHz (I'M streaming from PC and I assume the Windows mixer spits everything coming from the web browser and Spotify app at 44.1kHz but I'M not sure, I should check), which I assume is what my pc spits out

I don't know what player program you're using. However if it has the option of using WASAPI or ASIO you should jump on one of those wagons. Both allow a music player to bypass Windows internal mixer. The internal mixer has a negative effect on the sound. There is IME an easily audible difference between ASIO/WASAPI and Windows mixer. Foobar, Media Monkey and MusicBee all support both WASAPI and ASIO. In addition they are free. All three are IMO an order of magnitude better than Windows Media Player. I only use the free version of Spotify. As I only use streaming to audition possible purchases the feeds from free Spotify, free Pandora or free Radio Paradise work for me.

Radio Paradise offers several different sampling rates up to lossless FLAC files. Their 320Kbps files are adequate for my purposes.

FWIW: I use Win 10 running WASAPI through MusicBee as my primary player. All of my music files are FLAC from an NAS.

Hi all,
Just a warning: if you connect your DX3pro directly to your AMP you may have a big problem :
I someone press the LINE OUT button or double click on the volume button (knob), then your DX3Pro switch from preamp mode to DAC mode and the full signal (at -0.0dB) is sent to the Amp...i let you imagine the consequences....
apparently i'm not the only one to report this issue...
what can we do to make TOPPING sending the Alternative firmware to fix this "bug" for the one who want to use it as preamp ?

Welcome to AK, balata,

With my latest edition DX3 Pro ( from massdrop ) that issue may have been corrected. It's max volume ( -0.0dB ) when used in preamp mode is the same as when switched to straight DAC mode. I was a little disappointed as I was hoping it would have more gain than the D30 since it can function as a preamp. But I have to say that it's improved sound more than makes up for this.

Last edited:
Thanks for jumping in,
but not sure we are talking about the same issue.....
my concern is the following :
- I want to connect the DX3pro directly to the AMP (with nothing in between)
- I will use the Preamp mode of the DX3pro and will chose the output volume turning the knob right or left, or using the remote controller (+ or - buttons)
- but if someone (waf !!!) press the LINE OUT button or double click on the knob, the DX3pro switch to DAC mode and immediately the output level is set a -0.0dB (full signal directly on the AMP)

i let you imagine the consequences..... (my amp being a very powerfull 15kg / 50W AB Class......)
Apparently TOPPING is aware but is not really comprehensive, and consider this is a normal behavior.... but honestly, who can take such a risk to connect a DX3pro to an AMP in this conditions ?
I'm (just) looking for an updated firmware which is preventing my DX3pro to switch in DAC mode....

The maximum volume on preamp mode is no louder than the straight DAC mode. But I never make an adjustment without turning the volume of my amp or preamp down just like you'd do when switching between any sources.

Last edited:
this is actually common sense....
But I will not try.... switching from -40.0 db to -0.0db by just pressing the button which is seating 1 cm from the volume buttons on the remote controller is simply a non-sense !!!!
TOPPING just need to issue a firmware for the users who are connecting their DX3pro to an AMP..... i guess this will take less than 1 hours to code this....

Last edited:
Hmm that sorta worries me. I have cats that specifically step on keyboards, remotes, etc lol in the living room. I wonder how that's gonna work.

Mine will probably go through my preamp. Will that alleviate the situation?

you shouldn't have any issue then, because in your case, you should select the DAC mode (which block the output signal at -0.0dB) and then your Preamp will lower the signal (via its own volume feature)...
The cats may just rewitch the DX3pro in preamp mode (LINE OUT button) and then reduce the signal (- button).... Clever cats....

But it doesn't solve the problem for all the DX3pro owner who bought this fancy kit to simplify their audio chain (ie remove their preamp)....
This is really a huge concern....

I wish Amir would review the Topping MX3, they're ridiculously cheap, and features wise, seem like the ideal AIO desk solution.

I've tried my best to create a situation where this is a problem and have failed miserably. :D
You lucky guy ;-)
not kidding: don't press the LINE OUT button if your DX3pro is straigt connected to your AMP.... you may have the full signal send to your AMP (0.0dB)
this is well documented in the user manuel... and (unfortunately) it works !!!!

Gonna put this in the right thread........facepalm

First of all - Hello everybody.......I just jumped down the rabbit hole

I recently bought a Marantz 2325 vintage receiver and decided I would like to put the best quality for the money digital music into it via my laptop because I listen to a lot of digital music. I used to use a cord to split my 3.5mm jack into RCA L and R's and plug it into my generic home Sony home audio receiver. I am now looking at buying a DAC to compliment my new receiver. I am looking at this one, the "Dx3 pro" after reading this forum and also the subsequent reviews. It is in my price range and sounds like it would suit my needs (remote, bluetooth, sound quality).

I guess the question I have for the forum is this - would this be a worthy "investment" for my system? I have no earthly idea because I've never heard a DAC or had anything to compare the sound to.

Glad I found this forum to help me get through the rabbit hole. Thanks for any responses.

Gonna put this in the right thread........facepalm

First of all - Hello everybody.......I just jumped down the rabbit hole

I recently bought a Marantz 2325 vintage receiver and decided I would like to put the best quality for the money digital music into it via my laptop because I listen to a lot of digital music. I used to use a cord to split my 3.5mm jack into RCA L and R's and plug it into my generic home Sony home audio receiver. I am now looking at buying a DAC to compliment my new receiver. I am looking at this one, the "Dx3 pro" after reading this forum and also the subsequent reviews. It is in my price range and sounds like it would suit my needs (remote, bluetooth, sound quality).

I guess the question I have for the forum is this - would this be a worthy "investment" for my system? I have no earthly idea because I've never heard a DAC or had anything to compare the sound to.

Glad I found this forum to help me get through the rabbit hole. Thanks for any responses.

If you don't need a headphone amp or remote consider the cheaper Topping D30.

Back
Top Bottom