Totem Model 1

Am I just a noob?

I'm listening to the Barton Hollow CD by The Civil Wars through a Sony CD player and HK Avr II receiver. The speakers are Totem Model 1 and a Miller and Kriesel Sub.

To me, the sound is heavenly. The Totems are the cleanest speaker I've ever heard.

How much better does it get? Am I even close to audiophile listening ?

Last edited:
You've already good the makings of a good system. Stereophile liked the Totems when they came out. There are always upgrades that can be done, but I assume you're aware of the law of diminishing returns. However, depending on your electronics, there's a possibility that they can be improved. If the CD player is an old model without a digital output, it's possible that a player with a modern D/A converter will improve the sound somewhat. If it has a digital output, you could try connecting it to one of the H/K's digital inputs to see if that makes any difference.

Except for the top of the line, AVRs are compromises, but some of them can sound quite good. When I upgraded from a Pioneer Pro-logic receiver from 1989 to my first DD AVR (which was also an HK) I was surprised by the improvement in sound (and not just surround sound; even two channel sounded better). It's worth noting that most newer AVRs in particular are built to a price point (If you haven't been watching the market, they've gotten very inexpensive lately), and H/K in particular has gone downhill.

But to answer your (second) question, yes, probably.

I have never had the pleasure to hear the Model 1's,however I have owned the Totem Dreamcatchers. Obviously the Dreamcatchers aren't in the same league as the Model 1's,but they were some of the finest "holographic" speakers I have owned.
I do think that they might please your ears even more with a high current amp. That's just my 1 1/2 cents worth.
Meanwhile,enjoy the Totems!

I have never had the pleasure to hear the Model 1's,however I have owned the Totem Dreamcatchers. Obviously the Dreamcatchers aren't in the same league as the Model 1's,but they were some of the finest "holographic" speakers I have owned.
I do think that they might please your ears even more with a high current amp. That's just my 1 1/2 cents worth.
Meanwhile,enjoy the Totems!
I'm debating an amp addition but at 25% volume they are plenty loud and crystal clear. Any suggestions for a 2 ch amp?

You've already good the makings of a good system. Stereophile liked the Totems when they came out. There are always upgrades that can be done, but I assume you're aware of the law of diminishing returns. However, depending on your electronics, there's a possibility that they can be improved. If the CD player is an old model without a digital output, it's possible that a player with a modern D/A converter will improve the sound somewhat. If it has a digital output, you could try connecting it to one of the H/K's digital inputs to see if that makes any difference.

Except for the top of the line, AVRs are compromises, but some of them can sound quite good. When I upgraded from a Pioneer Pro-logic receiver from 1989 to my first DD AVR (which was also an HK) I was surprised by the improvement in sound (and not just surround sound; even two channel sounded better). It's worth noting that most newer AVRs in particular are built to a price point (If you haven't been watching the market, they've gotten very inexpensive lately), and H/K in particular has gone downhill.

But to answer your (second) question, yes, probably.

Your saying try the optical out of the CD into the AVR?

I'm debating an amp addition but at 25% volume they are plenty loud and crystal clear. Any suggestions for a 2 ch amp?
Looking at the specs,the Model 1 is a 4ohm speaker. I would recommend a high current amp,that can comfortably live driving a 4ohm load,and probably dips lower than that. If you like the sound you have now,don't sweat it. On the other hand, just keep an eye out for how hot you AVR gets.

Looking at the specs,the Model 1 is a 4ohm speaker. I would recommend a high current amp,that can comfortably live driving a 4ohm load,and probably dips lower than that. If you like the sound you have now,don't sweat it. On the other hand, just keep an eye out for how hot you AVR gets.
Thanks, Ive become aware of the 4 ohm issue. I run them through a HK AVR20 II and I haven't noticed any heat issues. I'm keeping my eye out for a yamaha that will run 4 ohms more confortably

It looks like your receiver has preamp outputs. If you're otherwise happy with it, you could keep it and just add a separate power amp, continuing to use the HK as a preamp. That would likely give you much more headroom than any receiver.

As I alluded to in my previous post, earlier HK AVRs were pretty well made (much better than their current models), and if you're not looking for the latest features, I don't necessarily see a reason to upgrade it.

Yes. Assuming your AVR isn't a Pro-Logic receiver, give it a try. You may find it sounds better, worse, or there's no difference. Giving us some specifics of your electronics might be helpful.
Can you elaborate on the pro logic comment? The receiver does have a pro logic option, I listen in stereo mode.

If it was a strictly ProLogic receiver, it wouldn't have any digital inputs. Yours has optical inputs and can accept a PCM stream from the CD player.

Back
Top Bottom