TOTL Vintage Tube amp systems{50'60's}

hunter00

Thought it would be interesting to hear what members are running for top of the line{near totl} vintage tube systems and what speakers they have settled on

Me 1st system...My Fisher 50A triode mono amps/Fisher 400c pre/Fisher tube tuner/Braun L-1000 studio Monitors

2nd system HHscott LK-150/HHscott LC-21/HHscott LT 110 tuner/Stephens triaxials/University tri-axials

hunter

My only TOTL is probably the Pilot SA-260 with the FA-590 tuner/preamp. Tuner/pre is the mid-range model but its what I happen to have. Running it with JBL L-40 speakers currently.

Not to say the SA-260 is the best money can get, it just happens to be the top of the Pilot range at the time it came out.

pilot is tasty gear! have some myself.
Ive got a buddy with a Harmon Kardon Citation 5 and citation 1 preamp which would qualify as near totl from HK.He runs Stephens trusonic and EV vintage pro speakers in one of his system.His 2nd system is a pair of Heathkit w3am mono amps with an Eico hf85 pre
hunter

Waiting to hear from some vintage Mac owners,Marantz,radio Craftsmen,Eico,Sherwood.RCA,Bogen,Western Electric,Lafyette,Altec Lansing,Leak
ect ect
All these manufactures had lines of excellent PP tube amps in this 50-60's era.
hunter

TOTL tube amplifiers, Brooks, McIntosh, Marantz. Otherwise, cost cut. Unless high end Altec, RCA Broadcast or Cinema, or Western Electric or Ampex. Fisher and HH Scott, next best. Sherwood and HK close.

TOTL tube amplifiers, Brooks, McIntosh, Marantz. Otherwise, cost cut. Unless high end Altec, RCA Broadcast or Cinema, or Western Electric or Ampex. Fisher and HH Scott, next best. Sherwood and HK close.

Have you got any of those totl pieces?I know much of the W.E and RCA,and Altec 50's amps were commercial in nature not so much home audio/consumer amps in particular.There are many organ amps also ie Hammond/Baldwin that are also deadly sounding in their own right but I was more looking to consumer audio from mid 50's to mid 60's
hunter

I like the premise of this thread but it's probably be better suited for the Tube Forum. I doubt many AKers run vintage tube system to begin with and most of them probably hang out in the tube forum anyway. Just a thought.

cubdog

I like the premise of this thread but it's probably be better suited for the Tube Forum. I doubt many AKers run vintage tube system to begin with and most of them probably hang out in the tube forum anyway. Just a thought.

cubdog

I put it in the members systems to read about others systems<vintage tube in particular,After all ,these great vintage tube amps/preamp realy in my mind represent some of the best music reproduction EQ available at any cost.
Plus there oozzzzz the cool factor as would a persons vintage hot-rod or Old hi end Art ect.
Some nice vintage gear has been mentioned so far...

hunter

Of course Fairchild is way up there on the list!Tell us what your running in your system,Tubes used/preamp/speakers?
thx
hunter

TOTL would have to include my setup.fairchild 260 amplfiers,248 stereo preamplfier running into a pair of bozak b400 (moorish )symphonys.

Attachments

• DSC_0842.jpeg
    DSC_0842.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 196
TOTL would have to include my setup.fairchild 260 amplfiers,248 stereo preamplfier running into a pair of bozak b400 (moorish )symphonys.

Very nice,collectable /rare hi end vintage that were for the well healed back in the day.Would love to hear your setup!!
hunter

Thanks for the kind words. It really is in a class of its own:yes:

Attachments

• fairchild260-1.jpeg
    fairchild260-1.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 159
:worthless Can't believe I'm the first...

a few pics,i know I need a new camera....

Radioactive...I see yout fairchilds use the same basic tubes as my Fisher mono..are you still using the metalized 1614?i use both them or 6v6gc's and tungsols 5v4's 2 per mono

Attachments

• DSCF1515.jpg
    DSCF1515.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 258
  • DSCF1524.jpg
    DSCF1524.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCF1526.jpg
    DSCF1526.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 180
  • DSCF1527.jpg
    DSCF1527.jpg