TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

I spot a couple of obvious improvements in build quality.
Nice to see Allo has decided to use soldered speaker terminals this time around.
The screw-type connects used on the Volt+ plug and play version are actually too large for the small gauge wire they use.

At one point I pulled mine apart because I lost a channel [bad connection at the attenuator].
I doubled-over the wire at the speaker terminals and attenuator to ensure better contact.
Prior to that, the wires wiggled in the connectors even when tightened all the way down.
Wouldn't have been a problem if they'd used at least 20 gauge hook-up wire.

I also didn't like that the power line was bundled in with the input/output signal wiring.
I separated it all as best I could without re-soldering the board connections when I had it apart.

Not a problem with the Volt+D as power goes direct to the board.

Last edited:
This may seem trivial to some but I'm not crazy about the rear panel layout.

Upon further reflection, I'm not crazy about the front panel layout either.
The attenuator and the left-hand support column are in uncomfortable proximity.
If you happen to be left-handed yourself this might be a real nuisance.

Both of these things indicate some degree of carelessness which I anticipate will be compensated for by improved SQ.

Thanks for the ref. Zu Audio make more than one speaker I'd like to try.

index.php

I'm looking at lots of small-form-factor amps lately, to go along with small-wattage and small-outlay.

This "A4 size" deal is popular now, and let's face it, Class D requires less space any way you look at it.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

luxman%2Bda%2B250%2Bm%2B200%2B%25281%2529.JPG

The Luxman may be B4 rather than A4 in size, and it's certainly larger in price; still I find it seductive.
Can't determine if it's Class D or AB. Does anyone know?

No heatsinks on those chips? It is a dual 3118?

Yes, exactly, I'll need to try to figure out if the SQ is better than the 3116 and 3250 units I have.

It is a dual 3118, each running as mono.

The TAP3118 is a pad down chip, in that it uses the PCB as a heatsink. Although electronically the same as the 3116, it is quoted at a lower power output due to thermal constraints.

E-mailed Allo customer support and was told they could sell me the Volt+D board ONLY (no enclosure, attenuator, etc.) for $75 plus $15 shipping to CA.

It is a dual 3118, each running as mono.

The TAP3118 is a pad down chip, in that it uses the PCB as a heatsink. Although electronically the same as the 3116, it is quoted at a lower power output due to thermal constraints.
Same chip then, upside down.

Thanks for the ref. Zu Audio make more than one speaker I'd like to try.

index.php

I'm looking at lots of small-form-factor amps lately, to go along with small-wattage and small-outlay.

This "A4 size" deal is popular now, and let's face it, Class D requires less space any way you look at it.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

luxman%2Bda%2B250%2Bm%2B200%2B%25281%2529.JPG

The Luxman may be B4 rather than A4 in size, and it's certainly larger in price; still I find it seductive.
Can't determine if it's Class D or AB. Does anyone know?
A review says the LUX runs quite warm....
Have you heard those TEACs Archy?

A review says the LUX runs quite warm....
Have you heard those TEACs Archy?

What review? If it's not Class A, I don't see why it should run hot. But I don't know much about it.

The only way I'm going to hear the TEACs is if I buy them. And I already have too many amps.

But maybe if I can catch the next site-wide eBay sale I'll pick one up. 100v from Japan prob.

Hi all.

I don't post much but follow this and other threds regularly. I saw a link to this twin chip tpa3116 posted in another forum and wondered if anyone has tried it out. I couldn't find it directly searching Aliexpress only through this link. I am by far and expert on these matters but am a great fan of the twin chip tpa3116 I listen to everyday and would welcome any feedback regarding this unit, the price is fair . It seems nicely laid out and neatly put together but like I said I'm no expert.
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/TPA3...gital-audio-verst-rker-brett/32853719428.html

Nice mylar caps that will last a long while. I personally do not like the RCA inputs on the front. The price is a good one but you are going to have to cough up a good bit for a power supply, or have a good laptop brick for a power supply.

I see Allo Volt+D is only $120 more expensive than the chinese versions, obviously to get to that low price Allo had to use the counterfeit electrolytics again, you can't expect anything else for so little money. Sofar I haven't read that Allo claims them to be Panasonic or Lelon, this time around, so I would call that an improvement.

Thanks for the feedback regarding the caps , I did feel that the rca inputs were a step up from the 3.5mm jack on my present amp though I am open minded on this. The power supply is no problem as it's a deep cycle battery bank fed by solar dedicated to the stereo , the rest of the house is from a different solar and battery system. I'll read up on mylar caps as my only knowledge of mylar is as of reflective film for light.......like I said I'm no expert but always up for reasoned learning.

Has anyone heard the new Allo Volt+D yet? It's been available in Europe for around a week now. I suppose any review is little way off yet given delivery and run in times. It looks sweet though.

Has anyone heard the new Allo Volt+D yet? It's been available in Europe for around a week now. I suppose any review is little way off yet given delivery and run in times. It looks sweet though.

.......I apologise for the multiple posts, tried to delete the duplicate and added 2 more :-/.........still getting the hang of this chat stuff!

I see Allo Volt+D is only $120 more expensive than the chinese versions, obviously to get to that low price Allo had to use the counterfeit electrolytics again, you can't expect anything else for so little money. Sofar I haven't read that Allo claims them to be Panasonic or Lelon, this time around, so I would call that an improvement.

:boring:

Back
Top Bottom