TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Have we discussed STA326 and STA328 based amps? There are some very interesting ones out there, often including a DAC. The Alientek d8 and FXAudio d802 for instance. Has anyone auditioned those for sound quality, particularly in comparison to the TPA-series?

I have used the FXAudio d802 in my classroom for a year, and I like it. It's got a good amount of power for such a small package (more than the TPA3116). The DAC in that particular package sounds good as well. The d802 also has EQ settings, but I run everything under the "Flat" eq, as I think that sounds by far the best. The other EQ settings sounded unnatural and introduced some audible distortion at higher volumes.

I actually just switched out the d802 and am running the Volt +D in my classroom, and I'm liking it so far. Maybe not as robust for rock music as the d802, but it is a bit more refined overall.

Caved the other day and bought one of the Douks for my "test bench" and also out of pure curiosity. It's adorable! Much smaller than I realized. I also didn't realize it came sans power supply. What is the recommended PS for this litttle cutie?

WQ3GdxV.jpg

As a test amp, almost anything will do.
The listing I see says anywhere from 8V to 26V.
If you're interest in seeing what it'll do power-wise, I'd go with a 24V/6A+ supply [I use a 24V/10A SMPS unit on my Volt+].
These amps are quite reactive to load, so can peak a good bit higher than rated when the ohms drop.
Imo, it's best to have some power to spare.

If you want to be a little more conservative, I've used a 19V/7A laptop brick with good results.

If you want slightly smoother sound, it'll work just fine on a 12V or 18V battery.

Last edited:
The best match would be about 19 volts 4-5 amps. I tried a variety of power supplies with mine and also got good results with
an Astron linear supply running at about 13.6 volts 8 amps. It is surprisingly small, but it sounds pretty good. A lot of people recommend reducing the
gain, but I've never tried it. I suspect that the gain was set high to impress the folk who normally buy $25 amplifiers.

I've run a 12V and 19V laptop bricks and both sound the same to my ears. The sound is good.

That is the singe-chip, right? Some of those had 24V capacitors, so I wouldn't run it with too much voltage.

I did the gain mod and the noise floor went way down. I really recommend doing that.

I've got both single and dual chip version of that amp. Did gain mod on both, and highly recommend doing so.
I've had good results with the box stock Douk dual chip plus version direct to a source. I don't use an active gain preamp in that system.

I've run a 12V and 19V laptop bricks and both sound the same to my ears. The sound is good.

That is the singe-chip, right? Some of those had 24V capacitors, so I wouldn't run it with too much voltage.

I did the gain mod and the noise floor went way down. I really recommend doing that.
The higher voltage can provide a greater power output margin for marginally efficient speakers, and for 16 Ohm range speaker loads.
Ohm's law rules here.

Turn the volume up with nothing playing on the stock amp, hear that white noise? Gain mod eliminates that. Also makes the volume knob way more useful.

FWIW I've had my ear an inch from 93 db speakers and the Volt+D is totally silent with it's volume control maxed.

Last edited:
Is the Breeze identical to the Douk Dual plus pre chip?

The Breeze is a single chip, the Nobsound is a dual-chip. The layout is similar, so one can find the SMD resistors in both cases. Removing them is easy, re-soldering is a bit trickier, but I did it even with my weak soldering skills.

I have both and done the gain mod on both, which dropped the noise floor and thus improved the sound quality.

That said, if you're going to buy a boxed device, I'd recommend going for the FXAudio FX502SPro which I have and has significantly better sound than the Breeze or Nobsound or the Volt+D which people here rave about.

I do like the FX Pro as a package I can easily recommend. Add an outboard passive input selector for multiple sources and there you are!

I also like the Allo Volt +D as an ultimate implementation of that series chips using good components without signal path clutter.

Back
Top Bottom