TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Magneplanar .7, subs are open baffle Eminence Alpha 15-A powered by Behringer NX3000

Both of them are dipoles and very open sounding with notes that linger in mid air. Not unlike striking a key on the piano and listening while it fades away. But with dipoles it takes longer for that note to decay. FWIW pianos are open baffles.

Last edited:
Both of them are dipoles and very open sounding with notes that linger in mid air. Not unlike stricking a key on the piano and listening while it fades away. But with dipoles it takes longer for that note to decay. FWIW pianos are open baffles.

Would open baffle subs be a good match for my ZU's?

Both of them are dipoles and very open sounding with notes that linger in mid air. Not unlike striking a key on the piano and listening while it fades away. But with dipoles it takes longer for that note to decay. FWIW pianos are open baffles.
They are open baffles when open, grands positive polarity upward, uprights rearward.

upload_2019-1-2_12-24-3.png

Well I decided to give it a try. I am VERY curious to see how this compares with the Volt+. This is a favorably reviewed amp and was made in conjunction with Goldmund who built the Job 225. When this initially came out it was selling for $1399! It is heavily discounted now at only $499 but still. Looking forward to comparing. I will get to use my new ZU Audio Dirty Weeknds with the clarity cap upgrades. Will be here on Sunday so I will give initial impressions but will give it a couple of weeks to burn in and so on.

I met Randy a few years ago at Hornfest. He was just getting into OB's then and now he's selling them. The Eminence Alphas are what I use in my builds and they work great as is without tweaks. If you could build them yourself you'd sure save a lot of money.

$300 for a pair of subs isn't a lot of money. I am not a Diyer. :)

View attachment 1373993

Well I decided to give it a try. I am VERY curious to see how this compares with the Volt+. This is a favorably reviewed amp and was made in conjunction with Goldmund who built the Job 225. When this initially came out it was selling for $1399! It is heavily discounted now at only $499 but still. Looking forward to comparing. I will get to use my new ZU Audio Dirty Weeknds with the clarity cap upgrades. Will be here on Sunday so I will give initial impressions but will give it a couple of weeks to burn in and so on.

Good reviews, but the few one stars did seem to highlight a possible trend, so make sure to give it a good workout and power on/off cycles to make sure it's up to snuff.

I've heard good reports about the Burson Bang. A/B amp 29 watts per side at 8ohms, It also features op amp swapping to fine tune. $499.

https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/bang/

The Burson looks interesting. I wonder if it was designed or influenced by Tom of Neurochrome.com. He's the only person I know who has been making those kind of funky LM3886 amps powered by SMPS. The Burson internals look a lot like his work. If so, it could be a diamond in the rough. People loooove his amps.

The Burson looks interesting. I wonder if it was designed or influenced by Tom of Neurochrome.com. He's the only person I know who has been making those kind of funky LM3886 amps powered by SMPS. The Burson internals look a lot like his work. If so, it could be a diamond in the rough. People loooove his amps.
I haven't heard anything on the LM3886 in a long time. I need to go over to neurochrome and catch up.One thing that's interesting is the swappable opamps. I've never done that.

I haven't heard anything on the LM3886 in a long time. I need to go over to DIY and catch up.One thing that's interesting is the swappable opamps. I've never done that.

It's some next level audio engineering shizz, but he seems to have won over both sides of the hobby spectrum, which doesn't happen often.

I bought a pair of Eminence Alphas and mounted them onto thick cardboard baffles. Hooked them up to a plate amp and they work quite well for providing the bottom end of the spectrum. Similar to what is shown in my avatar image, but just the Alphas.

Yes but how much is it to replace a messed up finger? Let alone the tools to mess up the finger?

Back
Top Bottom