Travlin' Lite or Heavy?

Old Guy8

My Jazz buddy's: Cliff (RIP) & Cleo
Subscriber
IMG_20180202_173746.jpg IMG_20180203_233858.jpg So if you vacation in a rental, house, cabin, condo or hotel room. Do you bring audio for entertainment? (I don't mean Walkman sized units or phones with earbuds.) How about some pics of your rooms with audio.

This is my "Up North Rental Kit". Been staying same place for 22 years. Room is 25' x 30' plus openings to adjoining rooms.
Sony CD/Dvd player, because it's compact.
Pioneer Elite 5.1 AV receiver, because it was easy to get to. Just useing 2 channels. Not hauling a sub 300 miles, although would have added some thump.
Canton Plus XL speakers. At 10" tall, 5" ported two-ways. Easy to haul. Great sound for mini size.
I took 90 CD's from jewelry boxes and into a large CD album.
System easily fits on half of vehicle's back seat.

Edit: Should mention that this system is also to entertain friends. As they tip thier Irish whiskies.

Landlord never has the internet running. So no internet radio options.

Last edited:
Travelin' Lite or Heavy?

I'm a 'professional International' traveler... Super light - 11" x 23" heavy duty homemade canvas bag with chest strap. That's it - that's all you need. That's all you want.

'If it don't fit... it don't go.'

Music don't fit - it don't go.

Last edited:
Bluesky,
When international vacationing not pro, I have same lite packing. No backup shoes.

But on ski and snowshoeing trips, lite isn't possible or even necessary. Just gas cost for more weight in 4x4.

Squirrelnest,
I'm with you there. Can still remember traveling with wife, running to not miss bus. I had five bags on me. Think she had one.

Last edited:
Have rigs for both...

Lite rig can be anything from my Mp3 player(s),tablet,or laptop & some 'phones -or- my UE mini-booms.

Now the "heavy" 4ru portable rig is a bit more upscale vvvv .

index.php

http://gatorcases.com/products/rack...p-or-mixer-case-over-4u-rack-grc-studio4go-w/

This is the basic configuration (for now),speakers can be any of my smaller passive speakers.
But most likely candidates are typically my Delta Labs M1 (AKA; ADS L200) -or- Canton Plus S speakers.
And I'll probably add another pair of Canton GL-260 to that list as I like the ones in my headphone/nearfield system sooooo very much.

I also have the option of using my NAD 106 preamp with active monitors (that NAD preamp has XLR outs) and losing the EV-7100 power amp.

Telescoping handle and wheels makes it breeze to transport.
The case also has a compartment on top for my Asus laptop.

FWIW

Bret P.

Headphones for the iphone. That's as much as I pack. Maybe I'll get all fancy and get a Fiio headphone amp this year for my trip to Vegas. But probably not.

Have rigs for both...

Lite rig can be anything from my Mp3 player(s),tablet,or laptop & some 'phones -or- my UE mini-booms.

Now the "heavy" 4ru portable rig is a bit more upscale vvvv .

index.php

http://gatorcases.com/products/rack...p-or-mixer-case-over-4u-rack-grc-studio4go-w/

This is the basic configuration (for now),speakers can be any of my smaller passive speakers.
But most likely candidates are typically my Delta Labs M1 (AKA; ADS L200) -or- Canton Plus S speakers.
And I'll probably add another pair of Canton GL-260 to that list as I like the ones in my headphone/nearfield system sooooo very much.

I also have the option of using my NAD 106 preamp with active monitors (that NAD preamp has XLR outs) and losing the EV-7100 power amp.

Telescoping handle and wheels makes it breeze to transport.
The case also has a compartment on top for my Asus laptop.

FWIW

Bret P.

Bret,
Nice setup in that case. Guess it handles the confined space, heat disipation, OK.
Another ADS & Canton fan!
Old Guy

There's actually a lot more room in there than it looks. ;)

There's also a decent gap underneath the EV power amp and the case (mostly 'cuz that's where all the telescoping handle stuff is).
Then there's the fact that the ART EQ itself is'nt very deep at all.
And there's that 1ru space (1.75") between the amp and the EQ (w/that slotted 1ru vent panel).
Also what you cant see is the 3ru dual fan panel that's mounted to the case's rear rails.
(I gotta get around to posting a pic of that someday I guess,guess today is as good a time as any,LOL)

index.php

Now note the depth between the EV amp and the rear rails (like 6-8" or so IIRC).

index.php

Now in this pic the perspective makes it look like the fan panel is right up against the gear in the case.
But that's an optical illusion as there is a ton of room in there as the fan panel is only like 2" deep.

And here are some quick pics of the laptop compartment and showing the handle partially telescoped.

index.php

index.php

Hope that helps to visualize things a bit better.

Honestly thought that's all WAAAYYY overkill as the EV amp does'nt run hot @ all.

:cool:

Bret P.

There's actually a lot more room in there than it looks. ;)

There's also a decent gap underneath the EV power amp and the case (mostly 'cuz that's where all the telescoping handle stuff is).
Then there's the fact that the ART EQ itself is'nt very deep at all.
And there's that 1ru space (1.75") between the amp and the EQ (w/that slotted 1ru vent panel).
Also what you cant see is the 3ru dual fan panel that's mounted to the case's rear rails.
(I gotta get around to posting a pic of that someday I guess,guess today is as good a time as any,LOL)

index.php

Now note the depth between the EV amp and the rear rails (like 6-8" or so IIRC).

index.php

Now in this pic the perspective makes it look like the fan panel is right up against the gear in the case.
But that's an optical illusion as there is a ton of room in there as the fan panel is only like 2" deep.

And here are some quick pics of the laptop compartment and showing the handle partially telescoped.

index.php

index.php

Hope that helps to visualize things a bit better.

Honestly thought that's all WAAAYYY overkill as the EV amp does'nt run hot @ all.

:cool:

Bret P.

That's hardcore travel gear! Nice.

Very light for me. Here is a little package I am working on since the last trip over to Hawaii. Very minimal and will plan on bringing it anywhere where I can take a suitcase, or perhaps the camper as well.
It consist of:
A source, headphones, and a Bluetooth speaker.

The source is a Samsung S7 edge I have laying around that I recently replaced with a Note 8 after switching carriers. It will have a 200 GB micro SD card, and be loaded up with lossless FLAC. That will play through the FiiO Dac headphone amp thus bypassing the Samsungs internal DAC and play to either the headphones, or the speaker.

The speaker is a Cambridge Audio Bluetooth speaker consisting of a LF driver, and 2 HF as well as a passive in the back. Cambridge Audio YoYo
I got the chance to listen to one of these when over on the island and have to say while not cheap, is very well constructed and has, for the size of a small box of Kleenex, pretty decent sound.

The headphones are open back Sennheiser HD 579 and they too, for entry level have very good sound as well. Not being really a headphone guy these were a test to see if I can really enjoy music with the soundstage sitting on the back of my skull. So far I am finding these to be pretty revealing, but not as fun as the JBL speakers in my living room. But really it is just for travel, and on the occasions when playing music might disturb the wife, which isn't that often.

Capture.JPG

On the road with a JBL Charge 3 BT speaker and my just gotten Sony NW-A45 Walkman DAP with 164GB of lossless tunes. :music: Light 'n tight!

Q

I usually take my IPad/iPhone > Chord Mojo DAC/HP amp > Oppo PM-3’s and Nobel IEMs and 1More Quad Drivers. I also bring a rechargeable USB battery pack. I have a little pouch that holds all of it except the PM-3’s which have a case.

I used the over ears on long flights or at hotels and the Nobles on short flights or layovers and commenting on public transport since they have a lightning cord. The 1Mores are kinda just backups.

- Woody

So if you vacation in a rental, house, cabin, condo or hotel room. Do you bring audio for entertainment? (I don't mean Walkman sized units or phones with earbuds.) How about some pics of your rooms with audio.

This is my "Up North Rental Kit". Been staying same place for 22 years. Room is 25' x 30' plus openings to adjoining rooms.
Sony CD/Dvd player, because it's compact.
Pioneer Elite 5.1 AV receiver, because it was easy to get to. Just useing 2 channels. Not hauling a sub 300 miles, although would have added some thump.
Canton Plus XL speakers. At 10" tall, 5" ported two-ways. Easy to haul. Great sound for mini size.
I took 90 CD's from jewelry boxes and into a large CD album.
System easily fits on half of vehicle's back seat.

Edit: Should mention that this system is also to entertain friends. As they tip thier Irish whiskies.

Landlord never has the internet running. So no internet radio options.

You don't say how long you stay.

That's an awful lot of work for a weekend and not enough for a full summer.

You don't say how long you stay.

That's an awful lot of work for a weekend and not enough for a full summer.

Four nights, five days. Travelers are all in late sixties. So music fills in when amount of UP, Michigan skiing, snowshoeing declines with brutal temps and age.

Warmest day was a balmy 10°F and wind calmed down.

Last edited:
Four nights, five days. Travelers are all in late sixties. So music fills in when amount of UP, Michigan skiing, snowshoeing declines with brutal temps and age.

Well worth it for entertaining during a week of winter activities

We've had a cabin in the great white north for 35 years. We've stayed into Feb a couple times with temps 20 below and 15 feet of snow on the ground. Enjoy watching the ice fishermen out on the lake in their little ice huts but mostly it is a summer retreat.

Has a full time reference system we use so we only bring new source to listen to.

Back
Top Bottom